Thread: 2018 ZL1 with full exhaust starting point on tune

Potential Tuner

2018 ZL1 with full exhaust starting point on tune

I have created what I believe to be my starting point on my car for the tune. I have tuned more stand alone ecu's than I can count, but the tuning strategy on this car is really going to make me earn it. I have been doing a bunch of reading on other posts in here and looking at what others have suggested on things and I am ready to post my "base tune" that I plan on loading prior to putting it on my dyno. Once on the dyno I will then start dialing in fueling, and optimizing timing. The car came with long tube headers and a full exhaust on it already, I did base runs on my very conservative mustang dyno and got 542 whp and 564 wtq on a completely stock ecu. Air fuels looked solid on the base pulls at 11.7:1, I did notice a torque dip at about 4000 rpm on the dyno but feels solid on the road. I did not have the mpvi3 yet when I did the pulls so no datalogs to look over. Any pointers or critiques are greatly appreciated. see attached stock file and base tune files as well as a .pdf of the dyno run.18 ZL1 6mt stock ecu.hpt18 ZL1 6mt Full Exhaust Base Tune Settings.hptZL1 base dyno.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by SurgelineBobby View Post
    I have created what I believe to be my starting point on my car for the tune. I have tuned more stand alone ecu's than I can count, but the tuning strategy on this car is really going to make me earn it. I have been doing a bunch of reading on other posts in here and looking at what others have suggested on things and I am ready to post my "base tune" that I plan on loading prior to putting it on my dyno. Once on the dyno I will then start dialing in fueling, and optimizing timing. The car came with long tube headers and a full exhaust on it already, I did base runs on my very conservative mustang dyno and got 542 whp and 564 wtq on a completely stock ecu. Air fuels looked solid on the base pulls at 11.7:1, I did notice a torque dip at about 4000 rpm on the dyno but feels solid on the road. I did not have the mpvi3 yet when I did the pulls so no datalogs to look over. Any pointers or critiques are greatly appreciated. see attached stock file and base tune files as well as a .pdf of the dyno run.18 ZL1 6mt stock ecu.hpt18 ZL1 6mt Full Exhaust Base Tune Settings.hptZL1 base dyno.pdf
    Ideally you want to be around 12.2 AFR on these cars or .83 lambda. Any richer and you are wasting fuel on them apparently.

Do you need channels on what you should monitor? I can send you over a good starting point on what channels are best monitored on these.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post
    Ideally you want to be around 12.2 AFR on these cars or .83 lambda. Any richer and you are wasting fuel on them apparently.

Do you need channels on what you should monitor? I can send you over a good starting point on what channels are best monitored on these.
    I would appreciate that.

Tuner in Training
    I run .85 lambda on my 18 Zl1 with no issues.

Tuner in Training
    Get proper channels set up on scanner to see everything you need to with the Gen V engine platform.
    Do a couple logs and drives and make sure everything is in spec with where it should be.

as ZLRob said, no less than .83 Lambda on them, I typically start PE target .83 and ramp it from peak TQ up to .85 by peak HP.
    Timing youll have to see what it likes, most vehicles are different and take more or less depending on the exact combination and location.
    Gen V is mostly torque based, so keeping in mind the VTQ and other TQ tables is big to, but being as minimal bolt on as you are the oem tq tables will work fine for you as a starting point.

If you need some starting channels I also have our different channel configs set up for specific vehicles if you'd like them to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by SurgelineBobby View Post
    I would appreciate that.
    Send me your email and I'll email it over to you!