Thread: 98 xj O2 CEL MIL disable

Tuner in Training

98 xj O2 CEL MIL disable

I have a 98 Cherokee xj 4.0 jtec that Im trying to simply turn off the CEL for the rear O2. I dont care if the code is set. I just dont want to see the light for the rear O2. I dont understand the type class for the fault class. IE- 1 2 3 etc. can someone help me with this please.

Tuner in Training
    I figured it out. Type 6 lets the code be set but does not illuminate the CEL. It will not immediately turn off the CEL, but after a few drive cycles it will go away. Hope this helps the next guy.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlewagon View Post
    I figured it out. Type 6 lets the code be set but does not illuminate the CEL. It will not immediately turn off the CEL, but after a few drive cycles it will go away. Hope this helps the next guy.
    Scratch that. It was a fluke. I still need help on this. What do the type #s mean in fault class??

Tuner in Training
    Good luck. It doesn't seem to be that anyone really has a good idea as to which fault class types mean what, I spent a good bit of time searching similar topics around the internet the other night.

Tuner in Training
    Depending on the fault, you may not be able to disable the CEL. If you removed the rear O2 sensor, you'll have a fault for the O2 heater circuit. And for whatever reason, there's no option for the rear O2 heater MIL. The best way to do it is leave the rear sensor in place and disable the MIL's that are accessible. This way, the cat can be removed and no code will be set.