Thread: Wideband Connectivity issue resolved

Tuner in Training

Wideband Connectivity issue resolved

I never posted about this because I figured it was too obscure of an issue and it didn't seem to be an issue for anyone else. However, I've been fighting it for the past several months. It came on the heels of a windows 11 update, HP released an update around that time was well so, I never knew exactly what caused the issue.

Anytime I would start my scanner, I'd lose my wideband(AEM 30-0300 via USB). I tried every possible sequence as far as plugging in, powering on, starting the scanner etc. It never mattered, it would drop every time. I would then have to make sure my AEM USB and HP Tuners USB were plugged in and then restart the laptop. After that it was all good, unless I unplugged either of the USB's. Then I'd have to restart the laptop again.

I've also recently had an issue saving files (tunes and logs). It would either tell me the file was already in use (which it wasn't) or it would tell me the name was not valid (which it was).

The problem was Bluetooth. Apparently, the dongle would connect to the scanner via BT which caused it to not look for my WB input on the second USB. My assumption is that BT is the priority connection for the interface (which seems kinda backwards to me since you get a better transfer rate via USB) but I can tell you that disabling BT on my laptop allows me to connect/disconnect/re-connect etc. like I used to. No more restarts. This seems to have resolved my issue on saving files too. No clue why on that issue but it seems to work.

Hopefully this will help anyone that may have similar issues.

Thanks for chiming in. I haven't been back to check on this issue in a bit.

Tuner in Training
    You bet. I had no idea it was an issue. I pulled my hair out for months trying to figure it out. I just accidentally got lucky one time and figured it out.

Tuner in Training
    I'm having the same problem you had with the AEM X-Series OBDII Wideband AFR and Controller Gauge. I've been logging data with it for two months but it stopped two weeks ago. I open a layout, right click in an open line, add channel, search for "WB EQ" and the channel shows, I add it, and it's being polled, but as soon as I start the scan, that WB EQ Ratio 1 channel disappears. I've tried every sequence I can think of. However, I have not turned off BT on my laptop. Any ideas?

Tuner in Training
    1. Delete contents of folder, HP Tuners\VCM Scanner\Vehicles
    2. Download current HPT Suite (or Beta) and MVPI drivers,
    3. Connect the laptop to OBDII,
    4. Put the car in service mode, WB should power on,
    5. Wait 20 sec. for WB sensor to warm up,
    6. Select mode "obd2" on the AEM gauge,
    7. Close HPT Editor and open Scanner.
    8. Click "connect to vehicle" in scanner,
    9. Vehicle>Repoll vehicle parameters,
    10. Click gear icon with green + "add channel"
    11. [add new channel] dbl click "WB EQ Ratio 1 SAE " under OBD2 [I don't remember the entire channel tree]. Do not click any External Inputs.
    12. Click "Start Scan", the WB channel should remain in list and display active scan data.
    13. Push ignition button to exit service mode.
    14. Start engine, start scan, and the WB channel should display active scan data.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    1. Delete contents of folder, HP Tuners\VCM Scanner\Vehicles
    2. Download current HPT Suite (or Beta) and MVPI drivers,
    3. Connect the laptop to OBDII,
    4. Put the car in service mode, WB should power on,
    5. Wait 20 sec. for WB sensor to warm up,
    6. Select mode "obd2" on the AEM gauge,
    7. Close HPT Editor and open Scanner.
    8. Click "connect to vehicle" in scanner,
    9. Vehicle>Repoll vehicle parameters,
    10. Click gear icon with green + "add channel"
    11. [add new channel] dbl click "WB EQ Ratio 1 SAE " under OBD2 [I don't remember the entire channel tree]. Do not click any External Inputs.
    12. Click "Start Scan", the WB channel should remain in list and display active scan data.
    13. Push ignition button to exit service mode.
    14. Start engine, start scan, and the WB channel should display active scan data.
    15. If you made it this far reformat your hard drive and start over