Thread: 2011 Sti write fail

Tuner

2011 Sti write fail

I use the patch and did a write entire , but fail to write due to a invalid checksum issue , I flash back the factory calibration and wrote just fine ,
    OS - AE5IB40V

Send ticket to support but nothing

Potential Tuner
    I recently had a similar issue, was your error "Writer Transfer Exit: Invalid checksum"? The most similar article I could find said that to flash back to stock. My vehicle has been previously modified and I am in the process of using a tactrix cable to flash a stock rom on it. I can let you know how this works if you would like.

Potential Tuner
    Downloading a stock rom and flashing via tactrix since I could not find a stock rom via HPT did in fact fix the issue.

Tuner
    The car had Cobb and was returned to stock, the calibration write fail only when I patched the file, original file flashed just fine, I think it has to do with the way the patch is structured

Tuner in Training
    Did it cycle all the way through the write process before displaying the checksum failure to write? Meaning did it go through its 2 1/2ish minute process? If so, that?s a common issue, and the file did indeed write. At which point, just key cycle per normal, and you?re good.

Tuner in Training
    I've seen this quite a few times after removing an AP. Needs to be flashed to stock with Tactrix then HPT works.
    Last edited by joshua@arcflashllc; 11-14-2022 at 06:57 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by OperationDriftL43 View Post
    Did it cycle all the way through the write process before displaying the checksum failure to write? Meaning did it go through its 2 1/2ish minute process? If so, that?s a common issue, and the file did indeed write. At which point, just key cycle per normal, and you?re good.
    Ive noticed the changes apply when I get this error, besides this being a common question how do you know about this issue?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua@arcflashllc View Post
    I've seen this quite a few times after removing an AP. Needs to be flashed to stock with Tactrix then HPT works.
    What does Open Source/Tactrix do to solve this that returning a COBB tuned car to stock doesn't do?

I had this same thing happen to me about two times in a row, trying VCM Editor, VCM Editor Beta etc. Are you saying that it actually worked? Did it work with the patch applied?

Tuner in Training
    would use ecuflash for subaru platform. Easy to use when you know where things are in the rom file and what to change. If you need help with your tuning using ecuflash send me a pm. Have done training in the 16bit ecu flash which you can use adapt to the 32bit ecu in the rom

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin92 View Post
    What does Open Source/Tactrix do to solve this that returning a COBB tuned car to stock doesn't do?
    That's a good question. I don't know the answer for sure but my guess is the AP isn't actually restoring the original image to the ECU. It's close but perhaps not the same. I suppose I could pull the AP "OE" image and compare it to a RR image. Every time I've had this happen, flashing a stock image from Romraider with a Tactrix solves it.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua@arcflashllc View Post
    That's a good question. I don't know the answer for sure but my guess is the AP isn't actually restoring the original image to the ECU. It's close but perhaps not the same. I suppose I could pull the AP "OE" image and compare it to a RR image. Every time I've had this happen, flashing a stock image from Romraider with a Tactrix solves it.
    Got an email back from support earlier today it seems some of these errors are bugs. From my experimentation it seems editing the SI drive tables can cause this checksum issue. So if the vehicle was flashed back to stock successfully previously this error could have another cause.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMomo View Post
    Ive noticed the changes apply when I get this error, besides this being a common question how do you know about this issue?
    From both my personal experiences and the training courses I?ve taken through Evans Performance Academy.

Tuner in Training

I had this same thing happen to me about two times in a row, trying VCM Editor, VCM Editor Beta etc. Are you saying that it actually worked? Did it work with the patch applied?
    Yes, if it completes the 2.5ish minute write process before displaying the checksum error, it did indeed make the changes. Key cycle like you normally would, and you?re all set. If you?re referring to the custom features patch, yes, same scenario. Also, you need to use the Beta version for Subaru support. At least until they finish up the ?mass update?.

Tuner in Training
    Yes, if it completes the 2.5ish minute write process before displaying the checksum error, it did indeed make the changes. Key cycle like you normally would, and you?re all set. If you?re referring to the custom features patch, yes, same scenario. Also, you need to use the Beta version for Subaru support. At least until they finish up the ?mass update?.
    The custom features flat-out do not show up in my HPTuners software for my 2019 STI ECU.

I'm hesitant to do any of this again until we get an official communication from these guys.

I appreciate your taking your time to weigh in on this.

Edit - What happens when you flash the car after the initial write. Does it give that error every time you write to the ECU?
    Last edited by Kevin92; 12-06-2022 at 12:36 PM.

Tuner in Training
    The custom features flat-out do not show up in my HPTuners software for my 2019 STI ECU.

I'm hesitant to do any of this again until we get an official communication from these guys.

I appreciate your taking your time to weigh in on this.

Edit - What happens when you flash the car after the initial write. Does it give that error every time you write to the ECU?
    Not always. I?ve made maps both with and without the custom features patch applied and it seems I receive the checksum write failure more often with the patch applied. I?m not on E so I can manage without it, but I understand that isn?t an option for others.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMomo View Post
    Got an email back from support earlier today it seems some of these errors are bugs. From my experimentation it seems editing the SI drive tables can cause this checksum issue. So if the vehicle was flashed back to stock successfully previously this error could have another cause.
    Yes, I've seen that too and agree it's a bug. I'd say they don't have the definition file properly defined in some areas. What I'm referring to is when you can't even write a stock map with HP Tuners.

The situation you're referring to has no work around.