Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So the new updates are taking away our ability to turn certain things off now???

Advanced Tuner

So the new updates are taking away our ability to turn certain things off now???

I've noticed ever since upgraded to the latest beta, a whole lot of DTC's are now grey'd out that weren't before. To the point you can't even put a set of headers on a car anymore without check engine lights because all the DTC's that need to be disabled can't be.

EDIT: Just checked a tune on an older version. ****DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR SOFTWARE. YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO TURN OFF ANY OF THE DTC'S THAT NEED TO BE DISABLED FOR MODIFYING THESE CARS. DO NOT UPGRADE***
    Last edited by That_guy; 10-13-2022 at 01:24 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    In order to ensure that everyone using HP Tuners software understands the emissions laws enforced by the EPA or CARB we have released an advanced training course as explained here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma0CkdnDkrw&t=15s
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    I took the course it didn't give me back my privileges. I genuinely like hp tuners software and what you guys offer. but I find myself fighting software issues very often including data logging properly or missing pids that are necessary for specific ECM tuning strategies, for example, 06 dodge Dakota truck, NGC3 Can, vcm scanner cant see the PID for Pressure Ratio, rpm registers very slowly even when I log just that PID. if you are going to take away functions because of EPA to reduce liability on your end and comply we get it and are on board with that, But you need to open source everything then for the community and give us the ability to have a separate Bin file from the hpt file so we can edit them in tuner pro, or anything else. some people use the ECM for aftermarket racing applications, even converting old cars to modernize them to run on biofuels. Give People back the freedom to tune how they want and still utilize hp tuners software for extended diagnostics as a tool. Just like others, I choose your software over others because of how well your vcm scanner works when it does work. it's great. But Alientech still gives full custom support for any and everything, then you have to compete with dimsport as well. I want you guys to be the best so be the best. add diag capability for heavy-duty equipment, and forced regen capability. Find a better way to do things because people will go to other platforms at the rate you are going. I love your custom logging solution I use it all the time but I invested in you and believed in you the most. My time and hard-earned money just like others have. Tuning for most tuners won't make you rich it's a passion to produce power, go faster on race tracks than the other guy, and most of all increase engine efficiency.

Tuner in Training
    Did you get the privileges linked to the computer you're using for the scanner? You have to link it to your account here and then once generated, enter the device code in VCM Editor: https://tunertools.hptuners.com/ParameterAccess

Advanced Tuner
    EPA does not make laws, there's a difference and you people need to understand that. Stop saying they do, because they dont. State legislatures or congress can only make law.

Tuner
    Yes I did all of that. I passed everything without missing a single question. i have multiple laptops and desktops for tuning, everything is synced together. it's not rocket science.

Tuner
    EPA wrote the laws... people in California, Oregon, New-York are the ones making the push. It doesn't even matter. the fact is this is a software company for tuning. They are taking away features to appeal to the EPA under the definition of an emissions tampering device.

But at the end of the day, we are still only changing software on the computer. you can write any binary code to make it do anything you choose to including making it work robotics or sensor monitoring not that it would be cost-effective.
    Say I have an aftermarket motor without a vin, dart, world products, or anything really made to be used in an offroad vehicle and it is used for its intended purpose. the entire point of Hp tuners is to give you a cost-effective option for tuning instead of going with a stand-alone unit. you can make an old sbc run with an 01 computer by getting a dizzy out of a 90s chevy vortech, and if you know what you are doing set up spider injection or standard fuel injection. if a guy was to put in his time and effort he could save more than 1000 dollars. Keeping alive hot rodding in the world. in open loop modes almost all computers, have emissions safety, and fuel trims based on pre and post-cat. you can manipulate control by adjusting voltage range offsets in the sensor as one example. the problem is applying the modifications to hpt files in the software is being taken away slowly over time. when you build a true off-road competition-only setup and want to tune it using a cheap OEM-style computer your engine won't have emissions, no EGR no cats. not being able to modify the emission segments of code limits power output and fueling strategies you could potentially use. not to mention freeing up space on a bin file so you can add custom lines of code as they do with code modifications. for map, speed density modes, RT modes. As I stated HP tuners need to make bin editing open source. then it's out of their hands at that point with what people chose to do with it. Speeduino is taking the market by storm, and like I said at what point would a professional tuning facility choose hp tuners if it is on the limiting side if better alternatives are out? heck, give people a version of the software for racing only, sign a waiver, and verify. Anything, please. HP tuners is the underdog in the tuning world, slowly coming up. Just be more end-user friendly for people who want to try and do amazing things with OEM computers on a budget.
    Last edited by DB5249; 10-19-2022 at 05:03 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Again, no they don't make laws. They set standard and rules that's it. Certain states then draft and enact laws, to enforce EPA rules. Which is exactly why emission laws vary from state to state. Take a civics class and learn how our system of government is supposed to work. And no we are not a democracy either. Apparently this crap is not taught in schools, and because of that, we now live in a banana republic where everyone doesn't seem to care when the heavy hand of government continually takes peoples rights away, and nobody bats an eye because the masses are too stupid to see it or dont care. Only the states and Congress make laws. No one else has that authority. Not even the president. But go ahead and keep telling yourself that these government alphabet agencies make laws.

Tuner
    its like you are not understand anything all you see is EPA. I'm an ASE-certified master tech. Again you are blowing hot air. The point of all of this was the restrictions based on software. because of fear of falling under the definition of an emissions tampering device.

But if you would actually read what I was talking about in regard to true offroad race scenarios you would stop looking like a fool trying to fight. I WILL STATE IT AGAIN BECAUSE YOUR APPARENTLY SO-CALLED EDUCATION DID NOTHING FOR YOU BUT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER. TRY AGAIN DANMW2003.

But at the end of the day, we are still only changing software on the computer. you can write any binary code to make it do anything you choose to including making it work robotics or sensor monitoring not that it would be cost-effective.
    Say I have an aftermarket motor without a vin, dart, world products, or anything really made to be used in an offroad vehicle and it is used for its intended purpose. the entire point of Hp tuners is to give you a cost-effective option for tuning instead of going with a stand-alone unit. you can make an old sbc run with an 01 computer by getting a dizzy out of a 90s chevy vortech, and if you know what you are doing set up spider injection or standard fuel injection. if a guy was to put in his time and effort he could save more than 1000 dollars. Keeping alive hot rodding in the world. in open loop modes almost all computers, have emissions safety, and fuel trims based on pre and post-cat. you can manipulate control by adjusting voltage range offsets in the sensor as one example. the problem is applying the modifications to hpt files in the software is being taken away slowly over time. when you build a true off-road competition-only setup and want to tune it using a cheap OEM-style computer your engine won't have emissions, no EGR no cats. not being able to modify the emission segments of code limits power output and fueling strategies you could potentially use. not to mention freeing up space on a bin file so you can add custom lines of code as they do with code modifications. for map, speed density modes, RT modes. As I stated HP tuners need to make bin editing open source. then it's out of their hands at that point with what people chose to do with it. Speeduino is taking the market by storm, and like I said at what point would a professional tuning facility choose hp tuners if it is on the limiting side if better alternatives are out? heck, give people a version of the software for racing only, sign a waiver, and verify. Anything, please. HP tuners is the underdog in the tuning world, slowly coming up. Just be more end-user friendly for people who want to try and do amazing things with OEM computers on a budget.

Advanced Tuner
    I was simply stating EPA does not make laws. I read your comment, and I made no comment about what you rambled on about because I didn't disagree with anything you said. Other than you saying EPA makes laws. So you're an ASE master tech. Whoopdie doo... You aren't the only certified tech around here. I am as well with over 20 years in vehicle devoplemnt. Means nothing to nobody. Seems to me you're the one blowing hot air, and doing all the judging.

Tuner
    We are here to enjoy the hobby of motorsports. I wasn't trying to upset anyone not even in the least. The only thing I want is more freedom for the end user. danmw2003 look into KESSV3, bench, obd, and board flashing. prices vary from 4-20k depending on how much support you want. Finding a package with ECM titanium can be found. Just like hp tuners, it can be tedious to learn many different platforms and tuning strategies. I would love to see options for hp tuners to do the same. i already invested many years of my time in the hp tuners platform running a dyno house, then starting up my own business.

Tuner in Training
    Hi guys
    Please help, the (Vehicle Controls & Special Functions ) option is not working for me, what is the reason?
    I attached a picture showing this problem, thanks for helping me
    It looks empty and there are no options
    2022-11-16.png

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by alkhaldy View Post
    Hi guys
    Please help, the (Vehicle Controls & Special Functions ) option is not working for me, what is the reason?
    I attached a picture showing this problem, thanks for helping me
    It looks empty and there are no options
    2022-11-16.png
    What year/make/model vehicle? There are only a small handful of vehicles that we actually offer special functions for.

Tuner in Training
    2007 crown victoria PI

I just updated my VCM suite a couple days ago to look at a log file for a new user on here, trying to help, and got that little surprise also. Would be nice if there was more of a big red-flag warning on the update download that warned about this. luckily, I keep all old install files just in case

It's not hard to imagine the direction this is going, IF we ever get to a point where HPT is sending customer/user information to the EPA/CARB (by their own accord to look responsible to them, or by order of EPA/CARB) or ANY other third party, I would request on behalf of everyone on here that we are at least warned about that when or before it is done... or if it has been already.

Can HP Tuners or a representative from the company comment on the safeguards of data privacy in the following scenarios:

1.) You take the emissions based course and we do not keep record of this so there is nothing to share with the Federal/State governments.
    2.) You take the emissions based course and we keep a record of this and will be shared with the Federal/State governments.

This is really important to know how this data is being tracked or how it can be weaponzied against us. I am on 4.13 and I have all the features I want and don't need to upgrade and won't based on the above. My Windows tuning latpot doesn't touch the internet so for now I'm in a good spot.
    Hellcat PB > ET: 10.092, MPH: 135.650, 60': 1.492, R/T: .000
    Bone Stock Scat Pack PB > ET: 11.612, MPH: 119.52, 60': 1.634, R/T: .000 (gone but not forgotten).

https://youtube.com/user/fumanchu182

Tuner
    If your computer is hooked to the internet when you open software, can it auto update or anything of that nature? if not, nothing to worry about I wouldnt think.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by alkhaldy View Post
    2007 crown victoria PI
    There are no special functions available for that application, sorry.

Potential Tuner
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...990#post707990

btw, can someone email me an older version of VCMsuite, so I can have my balls back? I just bought this new HP cable and Im PISSED they are removing features. Bet EFIlive has only been adding features. To top it off it says that it only takes two credits to program this equanox, but I had to spend anothe $50/credit for the fuel system ecm just to program the ECM, FOR SURE.

[email protected]

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadKings View Post
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...990#post707990
    To top it off it says that it only takes two credits to program this equanox, but I had to spend anothe $50/credit for the fuel system ecm just to program the ECM, FOR SURE.

[email protected]
    Gather information before reading and don't select the FSCM to be read. It defaults to read it. I don't know why people don't save older versions when they download them. It's not like disc space is expensive any more. I have every version I've ever used going back to V1.x. And no I won't email any to you. There are people hosting a lot of older versions. You can probably find them with a Google search.
    Last edited by 2xLS1; 11-25-2022 at 04:58 PM.