Thread: Making a Copperhead PCM run a 3v vct vehicle properly with a stock 6R80 swap

Making a Copperhead PCM run a 3v vct vehicle properly with a stock 6R80 swap

Been hard at work making this vision I have a reality for many of the 3v mustang and f150 owners out there running 4 & 5 speed transmissions and wanting to do a 6R swap. I used my vehicle as a tester for this process and now it has been powering my drivetrain for over 6 months to a year with better results than I could have expected.

Long Story Short

The engine is a 5.4 3v stock rotating assembly with a long list of parts and custom calibrating. Im still pushing 13 to 15 psi with a Roush IC M112 and have been doing so for the better part of now 4 years it started out as a stock 2008 expedition king ranch which I have owned since 2013 which has evolved into a one of a kind mustang based truck. I originally had the 6 speed tcm (mechatronic) controlled 6R75 with a silveroak pcm which worked great but wanted more controllability of the engine parameters and trans. After that I wanted a newer non tcm based 6r80 which I got out of a 2014 f150 but with my silveroak there was no way to control the trans so I opted to a US SHIFTS quick 6 controller which worked awesome, my truck is actually on there site. I ran the quick 6 for about a year and linked it with the copperhead pcm so the truck could know its speed and gear range and it worked amazing as well. Now I'm a point where the truck actually uses a copperhead pcm and trans is controlled by the factory computer and logic. I have tons of hrs and months into R&D as well as experience with 3v engine and what is likes and doesn't like. Ill tell you this if you don't know what to do your engine and trans can have a bad day really fast.

I'm available to help start your project and 6r80 swap for your 05-10 mustang or 04-2010 f150, E-series, Expedition, and Navigator.

ILL LOAD SOME OF MY LATEST LOGS MOST OF MY TESTING IS DONE IN THE MOUNTAINS OF NORTH GA WHERE I CAN ACTUALLY WORK THE VEHICLE AT A HIGHER ALTITUDE AND COLD CLIMATES.

ive been cotemplating switching my 3v over to copperhead to ditch the quick6 for the same reason plus tq management is a plus. My main concern is would i lose any od my factory functions, gauges etc,,,
    5.0 3v, ported gen3, 6r80

Potential Tuner
    Hello, hopefully you see this. I have a 2010 3v and I?m looking to swap to a 6r80 because my 5r55 is going out. I saw in a past forum you said to let you know if anyone looking to do the swap needs any information. I?m picking up the 6r80 out of a 2015 eco boost for 380. I?m wondering what I definitley need for physical parts as well as how the I get 5.0 pcm to read the 6r80 smoothly without spending 1k on a dyno. I respond better on text (714-609-9377) so if you?re able to reply there I would extremely appreciate that!!!

If you get a 6r transmission make sure it is from a 5.4 4.6 5.0 or 6.2 the case Is different on the 3.5 eco boost

Also if you get a pre 2011 unit all you will need to do is swap out the electronic control module (Lead Frame) on the VB seeing as the 2009-2010 and some 2011 models use a mechatronic tcm via the HS CAN to control the transmission vs the pcm on the units without the mechotronic units.

Also if I?m not mistaken the 09-10 6r models do not use the one way clutch but that is more for 2 / 1 downshift firmness which the older units were ruff on that shift.

Also to do the swap to a coyote pcm it is a ton of work wiring and a lot of info on the calibration that why you don?t see guys doing this I have had mine in my vehicle for over a year now and it?s still running great.

I have a few options for you and will contact you it?s by no means a simple walk in the park.

There is also one other option which I helped someone with just recently who didn?t want to go through the extensive changes he has a 2006 mustang gt and went to a 6r80 via a gen 2 quick 6 and he is happy so far but again to make that trans feel like stock you need to have the know how when tuning the trans so it acts good on the street but can still shift firmly when you want to go wot.

Potential Tuner
    I Have a Roushcharged 04 f150 5.4 3v with a black oak pcm. my 4r75e is finally giving up, I want to replace it with a 6R80 and have been trying to find someone to help me figure out the technical details. I want to retain cruise control if possible. I was originally going to retain my stock PCM and use the Quickshift 6, but running the copperhead ecu and harness is also an appealing option if you have experience with the calibration, that way we can use the stock 6R80 control strategy. I am leaning towards trying the newer PCM swap

We run a Termi Cobra using F150 pcm paired with 6r80 trans - everything works fine so Im sure any similar engine would.

Okay so I'm dealing with a lot of trouble on a Coyote swapped 54 restomod F100 that the resto shop brought me to tune. This is their first coyote swap and they used the entire drivetrain out of a wrecked 2013 Mustang GT with the 6R80. According to them the 2013 would still run and drive fine but since they put it in the truck the transmission has no idea what to do. It shifts in and out of gear, doesn't go into gear sometimes, or shifts into gear really hard. Keep in mind they used the PCM off of the Mustang with none of the other modules on the car, BCM etc.

I have not found out why yet but it appears to me on the web that going with a used PCM instead a Ford Control Pack is a no no with 6R80 transmissions. Also for some reason I can hear it backfiring in the intake manifold sometimes. I found this quote on a Motortrend article on Coyote swaps: "The injector harness on the F-150 engine is identical to the Mustang, so that'll work just fine in your swap. Don't bother with the rest of the wiring or the PCM, as it simply is too much trouble to get working in a swap like this." They referred you to the Control Pack. Can anyone clarify why using the PCM off of the car or truck is such a hassle or if that is why this transmission is acting so erratically?

I want to know if I just need to get the control pack before I spend a bunch of time trying to tune this thing.

Thanks in advance.

This will run fine if tuned properly. If you run a mustang engine with F150 harness you have to swap cylinders for proper firing order.
    The rest of the sauce is in the tune - feel free to email us directly.