Thread: Rendering speed on Windows 7

Tuner in Training

Rendering speed on Windows 7

RaceRender works well on Windows 7, but I noticed that rendering on Windows 7 computer is much slower than on Windows 10 computer. Encoding the same video on the similar computers shows, that encoding time on Windows 7 computer is about 1.7 times longer than on Windows 10 computer. What can be reason? What is missing on Windows 7?

Tuner in Training
    On the 64-bit Windows computers the Racerender is installed in folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\RaceRender3" and there are both 32-bit and 64-bit exe files with shortcuts to the desktop. And here is a difference between Windows 10 and Windows 7 computers. Windows 10 computers run by default 64-bit version, Windows 7 computer run 32-bit version.

Well, i started 64-bit version on Windows 7, got warning that there will be used different libraries etc and suggestion to return to 32-bit version in case of troubles. I had no troubles, encoding was slightly faster than wiht 32-bit exe (about 5%), but Windows 7 was still about 1.65 times slower than Windows 10. That means, that reason of so big difference in speed is not 32-bit and 64-bit versions difference and it is still unclear.

Anybody knows, which video encoder is used in RaceRender?

DashWare clearly states that is is using Microsoft Media Foundation. Windows 7 and Windows 10 have probably different versions of Microsoft Media Foundation, but difference in encoding speed is there less than 10%.

Tuner in Training
    The situation seems almost clear now. RaceRender is able to encode in different formats. For MPEG-4 H.264 video is used Microsoft Media Foundation (MF). To communicate with MF there is RRMF.dll (or RRMF-64.dll). Windows 7 and Windows 10 have different versions of MF and Windows 10 version of MF is not compatible with Windows 7.That causes different encoding behaviour on Windows 10 and Windows 7 machines. In my case there is about 1.6 times encoding speed difference (and also slightly different size and video bitrate of output files). There is unclear, is it caused by MF version itself or there are other reasons.

DashWare works on both Windows 10 and Windows 7 computers and uses only MF (MediaFoundationRenderer.dll). Encoding on Windows 7 is slower than on Windows 10, also there are different size and bitrate of output files. Hovewer, all these differences are below 10%.

In this case the RR slow encoding on Windows 7 is connected to RRMF.dll (RRMF-64.dll). I do not know, if the problem is is just in communication with Windows 7 version of MF or RaceRender is using some functions, that are missing on Windows 7 version of MF. Anyway I can not do here anything. I can only wait for next version of RaceRender and hope, that this problem will be fixed. But I have to be ready also, that it will not work on Windows 7 all.

So, for me the case is closed.