Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '22 Explorer ST Tune Help

'22 Explorer ST Tune Help

I am new to the Ford Tuner world. I've been using HP Tuners for my GM vehicles (GTO/Corvette/Camaro) on LS engines mostly for many many years. Just traded my old MPVI v1 i've had for a decade or so to a 2+ JUST before the 3 was announced!!! LOL.

Anyways, I just purchased a Ford Explorer ST with the 3.0 TT. Anyone have a tune they've been playing with for the 20-22 ST? I am just looking at how it was done, and mods to the tune and stuff, not looking for a tune for me to flash on someone else's work, but something I can learn from as I build my tune. First two mods is a eAF CAI and a Mishimoto Intercooler upgrade to get those IAT temps down!!
    Last edited by mharris1984; 02-15-2024 at 07:42 PM.
    ------------------------------
    Current Vehicles I own

2022 Ford Explorer ST 3.0TT/A10
    • UPR Oil Seperator
    • Mishimoto Intercooler
    • aFe Dual CAI(wet filters)
    • AWR Racing Rear Diff Mount
    • Forscan Customizations
    • HP Tuners (of course!)

2016 C7 3LT Stingray LT1/A8
    2005 Pontiac GTO LS2/T56
    SOLD: 2014 Ford Explorer XLT 3.5NA

Advanced Tuner
    Post up your stock file so we can look it over an make recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by reubone View Post
    Post up your stock file so we can look it over an make recommendations.
    I'll run out and grab it when the wife returns home with it. I've only had the truck for a few days now and haven't even hooked it up to pull the stock file yet. lol.

Ordered the eAF CAI and the Whipple Intercooler as well, so hopefully next weekend will be projects installing those goodies and seeing what I can play with for the much lower IAT temps. The stock intercooler is a tiny JOKE that does almost nothing with the twin turbos.
    Current Vehicles I own

• UPR Oil Seperator
    • Mishimoto Intercooler
    • Forscan Customizations
    • HP Tuners (of course!)

2005 Pontiac GTO LS2/T56

22_Explorer_ST_STOCK.hpt

Here is the stock tune I just pulled. Since there is no 2022 ST tunes on the repository, I'll add this to it as well.
    Current Vehicles I own

• UPR Oil Seperator
    • Mishimoto Intercooler
    • Forscan Customizations
    • HP Tuners (of course!)

2005 Pontiac GTO LS2/T56

Senior Tuner
    Updated at tune #4

(attached)

Real basic stuff for now:
    Engine -> Airflow -> Electronic Throttle
    Engine -> Fuel -> Power Enrich

The main thing is that the Optimum Power tables aren't filled in at Engine -> Airflow -> Speed Density. On engines where intake and exhaust share camshafts populating these tables is simplified by comparing other mapped points and blending linearly. Here, with independent cams, it's more involved. If I figure it out I'll post it for you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 11-14-2023 at 08:25 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Updated at tune #4

Here's a tune with Optimum Power enabled and tables populated. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be because of the 10 degree EVC set by Ford across the RPM range. Also adjusted modes based on engine loads. I think they are better suited for spirited driving. Fuel economy when you need it.

Engine -> Airflow -> Variable Camshaft
    Engine -> Airflow -> Speed Density

Adjusted torque management as well.

Engine -> Torque Management -> General
    Engine -> Torque Management -> Driver Demand

Engine Diag code P0605 set to no error reported. Forgot that part in the first tune I sent you.

Give it a shot. I think you'll like it.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 11-14-2023 at 08:26 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    22_Explorer FEW THINGS MOVED.hpt

This is where I would start with mine and see how it responds. Also I would log the wastegate and canister pressure to figure out how those work to open up that as a possible tuning aid. You may want to try this or look through it.

SiriusC1024- What are the benefits to activating the optimum power tables that were left unpopulated or inactive by the factory tune?

Senior Tuner
    My experience has been better mileage and power.

If you scan you'll see Optimum Power Mode in VCT scheduling. The mapped point blending changes because Optimum Power cam angles are being included in the distance tables.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Here's a tune with Optimum Power enabled and tables populated. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be because of the 10 degree EVC set by Ford across the RPM range. Also adjusted modes based on engine loads. I think they are better suited for spirited driving. Fuel economy when you need it.

Engine -> Airflow -> Variable Camshaft
    Engine -> Airflow -> Speed Density

Adjusted torque management as well.

Engine -> Torque Management -> General
    Engine -> Torque Management -> Driver Demand

Engine Diag code P0605 set to no error reported. Forgot that part in the first tune I sent you.

Give it a shot. I think you'll like it.
    Hold on. I noticed a mistake:

Engine -> Airflow -> Electronic Throttle
    Pedal Pos WOT End should be 90.

I typoed that as 70 instead of 90. Noticed it while reviewing. Everything else is solid.

This is a personal preference so that there is less delay in calculation and physical control reaction when the pedal is floored suddenly. Think of it as a way to give the system a chance to anticipate mashing the throttle to 100. Of course, you can leave that and WOT Start at 200 if you prefer the factory-style of driver demand being referenced full time.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 10-21-2022 at 08:28 AM.

mharris1984, have you tried the suggestions that were made here?

I had my 22 explorer ST tuned by ZFG tuning. There is alot of changes he makes in the file. Also includes the trans tune that is a big difference. Its worth the $450 investment. He primarily tunes the explorer ST

Did you upgrade the intercooler? It looks like Ford runs the same intercooler on the 2.3, 3.0TT, and 3.0TT ST. So I'm guessing the ST could really use the upgrade. Also, does ZFG give a different tune if you have upgraded the intercooler?

I really appreciate reubone and SiriusCs' input above. Would like to have heard back from MHarris after all of the good help that you gave him.

I have 2 customers with 20 STs and just got started on the first one today. He refuses to upgrade his intercooler and the weather here is like Phoenix, 120F in the Summer... So I am taking it pretty easy on this one. The other guy already ordered his beefy intercooler so I'll get started on it in a few weeks.

Yes, I replaced the intercooler. Iat rise about 6 degrees on a pull. Same tune, it just doesn't pull timing for high iat.

I am just getting back to this thread, lol. Life happened and I've been taking care of my wife as a primary focus after a bad surgery and I am just now getting back to my toys... I haven't applied the changes yet. I've had the intercooler in a box to install and hope to do the install in the next week or so. I've been pulling data for Pre-Intercooler and will then gather data Post-Intercooler. Thank you Sirius for the changes you suggested! I will also be applying that as soon as I get some free time as well! And where I'm at in Phoenix, the Intercooler is a MASSIVE must have to cool down the iat. the stock intercooler is TINY and doesn't do much for cooling air. I notice a huge difference in throttle and overall performance as it goes from 50-60 day temps to 100. And with 110-115-120 around the corner, I can bet the Ecoboost will not enjoy the high iat's.

My LS2 GTO, when summer comes around, the driving vs winter is night and day. It is N/A and my own tune I made for it back in 2007 and made small changes here and there. I've rebuilt the motor and port/polished the runners, mild cam, upgraded lifters and rockers, headers, intake... just light upgrades to it.

My 2016 C7, I have not done a tune for it yet either. My first time with the LT1. I've tuned a bunch of LS, but just haven't got around to doing the LT yet.
    Current Vehicles I own

• UPR Oil Seperator
    • Mishimoto Intercooler
    • Forscan Customizations
    • HP Tuners (of course!)

2005 Pontiac GTO LS2/T56

Update all - I have applied the tune and HOLY CRAP, she spiced up... I played around with the default drivve mode and if you select Sport, then it keeps the sport settings and applies to ALL modes. I was hoping it would auto select Sport as the default driving profile, but I was wrong, so I put that back. My wife drives on Sport 99% of the time, and wants it to stay there. I am going to see if Forscan can set that peramiter. It would be awesome if HPTuners added the Forscan items to Fords. It would be nice to be able to make the Forscan changes and my tune in the same upload sequence, go through and make all my settings and then upload all.

But @SiriusC1024 those settings really woke her up! I only had the tune on for a few days and had to flash back. My wife went through the carwash and the rear hatch leaked (current TSB for this) and the radio module for the infotainment is in the right rear trim panel under the right rear stationary window. and well water got in and fried the system. So to prevent the "you have an unauthorize tune on your vehicle", I flashed it back stock JIC. Only took 5 days, but getting the ST back in a few hours. I will then re-flash the tune. I did play with the pedel % in sport mode just to advance it like 2% more. But your base settings really took away the input lag of the throttle.

This weekend, I'll be putting on the new intercooler and then doing some more data gathering. Hoping with the intercooler, I can get some timing in there and give her some more actual "umph". Thank you all that have chimmed in!
    Current Vehicles I own

• UPR Oil Seperator
    • Mishimoto Intercooler
    • Forscan Customizations
    • HP Tuners (of course!)

2005 Pontiac GTO LS2/T56

Senior Tuner
    I'm glad. Nice thing is you're basically still within ford-defined parameters, so blowing up the engine won't be a concern.

Potential Tuner
    Hi all,

I ended up driving SiriusC1024's tune across the country - also have a '22 Explorer ST. After having pretty thoroughly tested it, I decided to try and address one issue with it: short throttle closures at steady-state cruising conditions, causing jerking symptoms. You can see it in this log (layout included):

TIP check for throttle closures 2.hpl
    Base_power_TIP.Layout.Layout.xml

I think I finally narrowed it down to the OP tables. I saw that the Desired Load is always creeping down just before the throttle closures, and couldn't figure out why. I noticed the OP Torque Inverse table (the one that generates the Desired Load) has values much lower than those in the stock Mapped Points 8 and 9 (which is where the ECU typically sits when in Best Drivability at 1500 RPM, cruising). I also saw that the logged MP percentages didn't add up to 100% during the closure and assumed that meant the OP point was being referenced. Now I have a theory: I think the ECU will actually enter OP if the pedal position is greater than its threshold OR the load is greater than its threshold. I always thought it was an AND equation i.e. both conditions had to be met, but I definitely was keeping the pedal light, around 35%. I'm not ruling out the idea, either, that Ford has complex/hidden logic to determine when to enter OP. Either way, transient weighting of OP tables means the Desired Load is allowed to fluctuate, causing TIP errors and thus throttle closures. Disabling the OP point eliminates the issue.

SiriusC1024 also offered a second major change to the tune: lower the threshold to use the Best Drivability mapped points. I am in agreement that this improves fuel economy and responsiveness, but I still feel like the Optimum Power tables, possibly due to their aggressive Ford-defined MBT Spark values, are worth dialing in. Does anybody have thoughts on how to fix this? Should a guy just try setting the OP enable pedal % parameter to something higher, like 1.0 or 1.2 load? Or is there benefit in making the OP Torque table (and its inverse) more like MP8/MP9? Without a dyno, I am hesitant to go and change things like that... but certainly respect whatever method was used to complete the OP VE tables.

P.S. Not sure why, but my "VCT Schedule Mode" logged parameter is always reading as "Disabled". VCM Scanner is showing there is one called "VCT Distance to OP", though, which might be helpful here. I will try to catch it in another log sometime.

Senior Tuner
    Updated at tune #4

That is excellent feedback. Sorry this took so long.

I've figured out a few things since creating that file. Biggest difference in this revision is that OP isn't used. Instead, OP angles are commanded via the Best Drivability Distance Table. This should solve the problem described. There are also some adjustments to torque management.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 11-14-2023 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    That is excellent feedback. Sorry this took so long.

I've figured out a few things since creating that file. Biggest difference in this revision is that OP isn't used. Instead, OP angles are commanded via the Best Drivability Distance Table. This should solve the problem described. There are also some adjustments to torque management.
    Would the changes on this tune work for a 2020 Platinum?

Senior Tuner
    Most if not all. Just pay attention.