Thread: 2004.5 LLY ease of tuning? HP vs canned tuner

Potential Tuner

2004.5 LLY ease of tuning? HP vs canned tuner

First Time Here, basically asking if it is worth to attempt a moderate tune on a LLY with HP tuners. Its become very clear to myself that HP tuners is not a dominate Diesel tuner program; however, like many on this forum I have HP tuners from prior LS tuning. I have prior experience tuning a few LS setups for cams, Mostly E40 ECMs. I have a 04.5 LLY ZF6 cab and chassis Dump truck I'm looking for just a little more getup. Honestly I'm not looking to put a lot of time into trial and error for perfecting the tune like I have in the past setting up cammed LS setups. So let me ask some like minded individuals, any benefits to utilizing HP over say a handheld PPE tuner? I could use Hp tuners for the cost of two credits vs about 400$ for the handheld job? Does anyone feel their custom tune is any "safer" than a handheld tune for this level of power. Obviously HP tuners allows me to make continuous changes in the future, but if I get a little more power out of the truck it will probably be fine for a long time. I really Like HP tuners a lot from gas experiences but not having access to a tune repository or comparison tunes makes me not want to go down a long learning path for say 100hp in this truck, Thanks for the thoughts.

Have you made any progress on this? I recently got HPT and going to document my progress on tuning my LLY, as I am not the most happy with my DuraMilage tuner, as people like Gale Banks have said that isn't a good one and there's power left on the table. That being said he is trying to sell a product, but he is a smart dude.

I'm going to scan the DuraMilage tunes and compare them to stock and see what they did.

More than likely you won?t be able to read that tuner while it?s on the truck.

Sometimes very rarely you can.

But I would start with a factory tune honestly. Especially if you want to document your work. You learn more from a factory tune and building you way up with help.

PM me if you need to