Thread: How to DoD AFM delete or disable.

Senior Tuner

How to DoD AFM delete or disable.

Deleting Displacement on Demand/Active Fuel Management doesn't necessarily require a delete kit has to be installed. If your lifters haven't collapsed yet then they will hold up perfectly fine after removing DoD in the tune.

If you are installing a kit because of collapsed lifters then you will have to tune this way anyway.

Disabling DoD will save you money by preventing the common problem of eventual lifter collapse. The transmission life will be extended as well because there will be less shifting and hunting for gears.

Don't waste money on OBD adapters that fool the sensors and may cause dangerous driving conditions (speed sensitive steering). No need to unplug the brake booster sensor. Finally, don't be fooled by remote tune scams. Tuning DoD out is very easy to do with HPTuners.

Procedure:

Engine -> Fuel -> Lean/Fuel-Saving -> DOD dropdown menu
    Set to Disable.

Engine Diag
    Find DTC's related to cylinder deactivation. Found in P3400 and on. Uncheck SES Enable and set to No Error Reported.

--- Below edited per discussion:
    (Optional) Engine -> Airflow -> Variable Camshaft -> Desired Angle
    Set VVT angles uniformly per column from 1000 to 3400rpm. This area is the light throttle/cruising area. Many of the positives of DoD delete, as far as throttle feel and torque, will be increased even more so.
    --- End edit

(Optional) Engine -> Airflow -> Variable Camshaft -> Intake Camshaft/Exhaust Camshaft
    Set intake and exhaust minimums to 0 to allow for better torque.

Attached are stock and modified tunes with all changes mentioned applied as a comparison.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 11-07-2022 at 03:23 PM.

Tuner
    Just to add: the cam angle settings is for VVT - not DOD
    You can get rid of DOD and keep VVT .. it helps with fuel mileage
    Once you disable the DOD in the tune, that's all you really need to do.. IF you are still using your DOD cam & lifters: just know
    that disabling them (while they are functioning correctly) will buy you time... BUT they will still eventually wear.

Senior Tuner
    Please understand. The cam angles have to be zeroed out in the regime where DoD used to operate. That extreme cam advance is for 4 cyl mode. Since the engine will now remain in 8 cyl mode in that envelope, the cam has to be adjusted for that. Otherwise, you will get codes for random misfire.

VVT still scales at the upper rpm range. Those angles are correct.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 10-20-2022 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Please understand. The cam angles have to be zeroed out in the regime where DoD used to operate. That extreme cam advance is for 4 cyl mode. Since the engine will now remain in 8 cyl mode in that envelope, the cam has to be adjusted for that. Otherwise, you will get codes for random misfire.

VVT still scales at the upper rpm range. Those angles are correct.

This is not correct. The VVT camshaft angle tables do not need to be adjusted, when simply disabling / removing AFM operation.

If you look GM calibrations for similar engine platforms (e.g. 2009 6.2L L9H without AFM versus 2012 6.2L L94 with AFM) - the camshaft angle tables are similarly populated in both calibrations.

Over the past decade, I have personally turned off the AFM function within the calibration, on a large number of GM truck applications. There was never any issue with misfires being reported afterward.

If the engine remains in 8 cylinder mode, then it will only use the corresponding 8 cylinder mode portions of the overall calibration.

lol

(sorry)

Advanced Tuner
    This post started off bad, and then went worse...finally got better with Shrek thank god.

Literally just Engine > Fuel > Lean/Fuel Saving.... Top left toggle the DOD "enable" button to "disable"

If you want to go the extra mile, and delete the corresponding DTC's (I only do when we perform a mechanical delete), then go Engine > DTC's and delete the Cylinder Deactivation DTC's (P3400 to P3457 ish)

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    This is not correct. The VVT camshaft angle tables do not need to be adjusted, when simply disabling / removing AFM operation.

If you look GM calibrations for similar engine platforms (e.g. 2009 6.2L L9H without AFM versus 2012 6.2L L94 with AFM) - the camshaft angle tables are similarly populated in both calibrations.

Over the past decade, I have personally turned off the AFM function within the calibration, on a large number of GM truck applications. There was never any issue with misfires being reported afterward.

If the engine remains in 8 cylinder mode, then it will only use the corresponding 8 cylinder mode portions of the overall calibration.
    Alright, then I stand corrected.

On this particular vehicle it had to be done. Sorry for the confusion.

Tuner in Training
    I have a 2019 Silverado LD Gen5, 6L80, with direct injection. I added cold air intake and am now getting ready to HPTuner remove DOD. Eventually, within 2 years I will do headers, cam, lifters and physically remove the DOD. For now, having read what is above in this thread, do I need to mess with the VVT? I will kill the DCT's (P3400 to P3457 ish) I will repost the actuals when I look at my tune file. I hate when V4 kicks in and runs rough which drives me crazy. Secondly, is there any Trans changes needed after DOD? Thanks! I am familiar with the old (2000 silverado) pcm but there it appears the newer pcm's have many more capabilities.
    Bernie Pella
    [email protected]

Senior Tuner
    No. You don't have to mess with VVT. Shrek pointed out that factory tunes without DOD have similar VVT schemes.

It's an optional thing. I'll edit that in to my original post.

If you are towing or want more torque then yes it'll help. Focus on the area in the comparison files posted. This is the light throttle/cruising envelope. MPG will likely suffer, though.

Doesn't hurt to experiment. Personally, I like the extra torque even for daily driving.

No trans changes are needed.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 11-02-2022 at 12:58 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    No trans changes are required, but I'm an overthinker, and I like to go to...

Transmission > Torque Converter > General > "Use DOD Slip", and set that to disable

Tuner in Training
    Thank you
    Bernie Pella
    [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Thank you !
    Just had to rebuild my 09 LH6 5.3 Silverado 4x4. dropped in a Truck Norris Cam and deleted DOD . Keep getting passed around trying to get tune so I am gonna learn to do it myself, first step down

Tuner in Training
    Set all DTC from 3400 to 3460 to no error reported, you only need to do the ones checked on SES Enable.
    Bernie Pella
    [email protected]

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
    This post started off bad, and then went worse...finally got better with Shrek thank god.

Literally just Engine > Fuel > Lean/Fuel Saving.... Top left toggle the DOD "enable" button to "disable"

If you want to go the extra mile, and delete the corresponding DTC's (I only do when we perform a mechanical delete), then go Engine > DTC's and delete the Cylinder Deactivation DTC's (P3400 to P3457 ish)
    Based on what you said above, for clarification, if I actually go in and change parts to delete it. All I really need to do is shut it off in the tune? Or is there more to it?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi414ers View Post
    Based on what you said above, for clarification, if I actually go in and change parts to delete it. All I really need to do is shut it off in the tune? Or is there more to it?
    Yep, just shut it off in the tune.
    2017 Silverado 3500HD WT 6.0 flex fuel 6L90 6800lbs E78 T43

--- What am I doing??? Why did I do that??? ---

Any info would be appreciated!!!

I did a complete rebuild of my sons truck engine in a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE, 5.3l, LC9. I am currently having idle and misfire issues. Literally everything inside this motor has been replaced except pistons, piston rods, and Crankshaft everything was cleaned, machined, basically a new motor to include completely refurbished heads, non DOD GM camshaft, GM performance Lifters, pushrods, rockers, springs, oilpump, oil pump pick up tube, new plugs, plug wires, phaser, phaser solenoid, timing chain, all new bearings, rings, non DOD valley cover, new cam position sensor, VVT Sensor, oil pressure sensor, verified MAF was working, throttle body spacer, Shorty Headers, using factory Cats with all O2 Sensors, and Duel cat back exhaust. TBH, I am at a complete loss as to what else I need to do or what it is that I may have missed, thought I had pretty much covered all bases and am in dire need of good help!!!

I did the tune with the MPVI3 changing the following settings:
    Engine>fuel>Lean/Fuel Saving>DOD Disabled
    Engine>fuel>Flex Fuel>Flex Fuel Disabled
    Engine Diag>DTC's>P3400-P3457
    Transmission>Torque Converter>Use DOD Slip Disabled

I did have engine racing to 3000rpm issues which was caused by cleaning the Throttle Body and did do the Clean Throttle Body reset as well as replaced the TPS, did the Crankshaft relearn at which point the engine race issue went away leaving me with the same issues as mentioned above. I have double checked, triple checked all connections and made sure everything was right and tight. Any help concerning this would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    It doesn't really help to post the same thing in multiple threads.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    It doesn't really help to post the same thing in multiple threads.

Not everyone is following every thread and I posted it in two threads that were closely related to my issue!

Based on what you said in the other comment, I?ll do what you suggested and verify the cylinders during a drive on the logger. The misfiring is when in gear or while driving as well as the idle is low at idle around 650-700rpms and drops to around 450-500rpms in gear.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoutSmurf View Post
    Not everyone is following every thread and I posted it in two threads that were closely related to my issue!

Based on what you said in the other comment, I?ll do what you suggested and verify the cylinders during a drive on the logger. The misfiring is when in gear or while driving as well as the idle is low at idle around 650-700rpms and drops to around 450-500rpms in gear Uno online.
    It's completely understandable to post in multiple related threads to increase the chances of receiving helpful responses.