Thread: 6.0 Defueling During Shifts

Potential Tuner

6.0 Defueling During Shifts

I also posted this in the Ford Transmission section. I am not sure if it is a trans tune issue or engine tune issue, hopefully someone can help. I have a 2004 Ford Excursion with a 6.0 Powerstroke. Big fuel and big air, I have a tune that is making good power but I cannot keep the truck from pulling fuel during shifts. I feel like I have all the torque limiters turned off and have pressures turned up but for some reason the truck just slowly pulls a ton of power, makes the shift, and then gives the power back. Attached is my tune, a data log, and the screen I use to log. I also have a video of the dash that really shows how bad it is. Any help is appreciated.

Excursion_Layout.Layout.xml
    Mason_Dixon_10_23_22_Run_1.hpl
    Excursion_Low_Idle_10_22_23_Trans.hpt

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Rd5tL19zYvw

Banned
    what size injectors are you running?

Try this Excursion_Low_Idle_10_22_23_Trans JwRev1.hpt, also re-scale your timing map in the higher RPM, currently your timing stays static past 3600rpm which is not so good and partly why it'll lay over up there as well. I posted this on the trans forum side as well but i know not everyone checks there.

Potential Tuner
    JaegerWrenching what all did you change? It looks like added fuel to the last column of the pedal map. I was kind of using that as a rev limiter while playing with things but it is not needed anymore. Does HP interpolate between buckets or is it a hard cutoff? I also saw you raised the torque limit timer to 20 seconds from 5. I kind of found an issue, basically the "disable" button for torque limiting in the trans tune doesn't work. Even tho I had the torque limiting disabled it still limited it. I had to change all the table values to 1 and then that helped.

Banned
    how are you fixing anything without knowing what size injectors and turbo he's running?? Need to know injector size to adjust, timing, icp, and torque output.

Quote Originally Posted by Priceche2009 View Post
    JaegerWrenching what all did you change? It looks like added fuel to the last column of the pedal map. I was kind of using that as a rev limiter while playing with things but it is not needed anymore. Does HP interpolate between buckets or is it a hard cutoff? I also saw you raised the torque limit timer to 20 seconds from 5. I kind of found an issue, basically the "disable" button for torque limiting in the trans tune doesn't work. Even tho I had the torque limiting disabled it still limited it. I had to change all the table values to 1 and then that helped.
    It'll go to 0mg/stroke by 4500 if you leave it at 0 @4500rpm, it'll interpolate meaning as soon as you crest the previous column which is 4000RPM in your tune it starts removing fuel. Now rev limiting can be done that way but you'll want to set your second to last row a little above your desired shift RPM to make sure it doesn't come into effect. You can get tricky with it later on and actually set it so close to the shift it'll defuel for the shift as the OEs do. I didn't move the torque limit timer to 20 seconds that's how it was in your file not sure why it's set that way but left it alone.

Powerstrokecustoms "how are you fixing anything without knowing what size injectors and turbo he's running?? Need to know injector size to adjust, timing, icp, and torque output." I agree but I looked at his data log and was fixing his current issue of it defueling like he asked. Since he's got bigger injectors i know they probably aren't being drained even with bigger tips on a stock pw map, and with his ICP set to 20mpa his pw is set to ride around that 2.4-1.9ms on time. In the log it confirms that with it running at 2.4ms on time with 7*@3200rpm and pw drops to 2.1ms by 4000rpm with 12.6* as ICP comes up a smidgen. Knowing all that i'd say you could add more timing and still be on the somewhat lower timing side for the RPM and PW duration.

Banned
    compared to my files i have for bigger injectors i could make this file a lot better if i knew what your setup was. pw doesnt really matter on these 6.0's when it comes to bigger injectors, you can run stock ficm tuning and still have larger injectors. SCT doesnt tune the ficm's so we always had to deal with it. i dont know why you disabled your cruise control. and your torque tables, timing, icp, ebp can all be adjusted to give you more power and fulfill your injectors and turbo potential. defueling could be caused by torque calculation tables, fuel limit tables. i would go less timing, more icp, but i also modify the icp transfer functions.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerstrokecustoms View Post
    compared to my files i have for bigger injectors i could make this file a lot better if i knew what your setup was. pw doesnt really matter on these 6.0's when it comes to bigger injectors, you can run stock ficm tuning and still have larger injectors. SCT doesnt tune the ficm's so we always had to deal with it. i dont know why you disabled your cruise control. and your torque tables, timing, icp, ebp can all be adjusted to give you more power and fulfill your injectors and turbo potential. defueling could be caused by torque calculation tables, fuel limit tables. i would go less timing, more icp, but i also modify the icp transfer functions.
    I agree with what you are saying and I'm not super well versed in 6.0s. The reason i said to add timing was because of his pretty low commanded ICP causing longer PW. It looks like it's struggling to even make desired where it's currently at, probably has a HPO leak... That said I also think it needs quite a few other changes as you've mentioned already as well. I also think it shows the level at which the OP is at in tuning.... Personally I try not throwing too much at people because it tends to make them not understand what change did what. That said you can always hand them a file dialed for their setup and let them mess around from there and that's awesome! I just never see anyone do that on here anymore.... You'd be one of the first and I'd loved to see more of it personally. I usually approach things i see in the immediate and give some advice for their current tune file state. If you want to know why I think a huge part of why the 6.0s don't need PW adjustment i'll say this.. Most 6.0 injectors are relatively "big tipped" because SCT didn't have FICM control early on. This kinda forced injector builders to build them to work under the constraints of a stock PW map, that isn't a bad thing either. It just meant SCT was and is sufficient to tune big injectors with and it makes sense. Why build something that people can't tune? I think this is also why you're starting to see more injectors with big CCs and stock, or 30% tips. HPT gave us the ability to adjust the PW to drain the extra CCs with those smaller tips. We still get great cold start/idle while being able to dump them with more PW duration during WOT. How ever, the sweep spot for duration will always be around 1250-1700us. There is just some voodoo magic that happens in between there! A stock 6.0 maxes out around 1560us IIRC, right in the middle!

Banned
    with larger injectors, ive never had good luck with tuning the ficm. with stock injectors i can gain about 4 miles to the gallon, but with bigger injectors and tuning the ficm it will make the skip go away when you let off the go pedal but i always lost mileage. So i stopped doing ficm tuning on larger injectors. I'd rather have the mileage and adjust timing. another thing i do is adjust the icp transfer function to spoof it. that way it makes the pcm think its putting in less oil that it is. start it at 0 and take it to 5.6 on voltage, and icp i go 0-35..