Thread: 50% thermal efficiency

50% thermal efficiency

I have a somewhat love/hate relationship with Formula 1, especially recently where it seems they're only interested in giving an endless tongue-bath to the gamer crowd... and the turbo engines sound sad and depressed (like every 90-degree V6 ever made). But the technology is amazing. If only they hadn't mandated a 90-degree bank angle in the rules...

https://youtu.be/mUq-K9jcaB8?t=111

1.6L, 18:1CR* with 80psi boost, at 20:1 AFR, and makes very nearly 1000HP...

*: Would be much higher than that, but 18:1 is limited by the regulations!

Was fortunate enough to attend a couple F1 GP's in the V10 and V8 eras - they sounded so much more brutal! I think the ear damage factor was right there with top fuel, with earplugs out it was like the sound was crawling into your ear and tickling your brain

Wow, if my conversion was correct the current engine BSFC in freedom units is only 0.275lb/hp*h !!! And the fact that they run multiple races is just astounding. 1.3 to 1.4 lambda jeez I had no idea. wonder how a turbo LS engine would like WOT at 1.4 lambda...
    Last edited by CaudleDynamicsLLC; 11-02-2022 at 12:39 AM.

This is, allegedly, Ferrari from 2014 or '15, early days of the turbo stuff. I have heard rumors that current-gen stuff is no longer using 1-piece aluminum pistons (well, I mean they're steel-AL composite things). They are much closer to diesels than any gasoline road car engines.

ferrari_01.jpg ferrari_02.jpg

...and some 72* V10 p0rn, in case you needed some cool desktop wallpaper...
    FO110K.jpg

Nice. Im trying to picture how the head gasket seals between cylinders... O-ring type right at the edge of the bore?!?

I wish F1 news that popped up everywhere all the time was about things that are actually interesting like those advancements that thousands of the brightest minds in the world have been working on... not what team boss hurt someone's feelings lately or what driver wasn't sensitive enough in his social media comments

Yes. More oily bits and less whining, please. The current direction of 'Reality TV but with cars' is not appealing to me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CaudleDynamicsLLC View Post
    Nice. Im trying to picture how the head gasket seals between cylinders... O-ring type right at the edge of the bore?!?

I wish F1 news that popped up everywhere all the time was about things that are actually interesting like those advancements that thousands of the brightest minds in the world have been working on... not what team boss hurt someone's feelings lately or what driver wasn't sensitive enough in his social media comments
    Most of the F1 stuff uses a dry deck and an "O" ring/ "Fire RIng".

Liners were one-piece and removable. The inner step in the top of the liner for a one-piece (for the entire bank) fire ring, then I guess the outer step for a molded o-ring. Another groove around the perimeter for another molded o-ring, because those look like steam ports, or some kind of cooling passages, at the top/bottom of each bore.

FO110K_02.jpg

The whole thing as it sits here weighed if my memory is correct something like 95 kilos (210lbs)?? Or, less than a bare iron LS block.
    FO110K_01.jpg

Pretty depressing to think that nearly doubling the efficiency of the best of cutting-edge road technology gets you only to 50%, and that half the energy in the fuel is still being wasted as heat and noise, huh?

Don't think this will work in the real world. NOx will be a bitch with this system.