Thread: MPVI3 DOA Jeep Alpha Firmware

Tuner in Training

Angry MPVI3 DOA Jeep Alpha Firmware

I spent $513 dollars for the MPVI3 the ProLink & 1 Credit. I did this because the Jeep Aplha Firmware was announced and I have a 1998 Jeep with the infamous JTEC
    I received my MPVI3 went though all the steps to get going and was rewarded with Detect Protocol Failed. I submitted a ticket. I have emailed back and forth with Bill Henn.
    Now I am becoming an unhappy customer, I mean a cheap Walmart Dongle will at least Read my Jeep for Codes and such. This process is super slow and Im not feeling it anymore.
    HP TUNERS find a solution to this interface problem. Replace my failed device or I am going to bail and seek a refund. Im not a rich person and this was a chunk of hard earned money.
    OK well enjoy SEMA

For the record I can connect with an SCT3200 and datalog. I can connect with the SnapOn MT2500 and even a 30 dollar Walmart OBD2 reader. I just set my fuel sync with the MT2500 so there is ZERO wrong with my ECU.
    I know HP Tuners are busy and I am just one pea in a pod but this is just dragging on now.
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9
    .30 Over 10.67:1 ported heads, kegger, & throttle body heads are EQ w comp cams roller rockers
    file fit rings balanced rotating assy MSD Coil & MSD6AL prothane motor & trans mounts
    46RE fully built all billet servos larger drums Red Eagle & Kolene ValveBody modified
    All Steel Planetary Gears MEGA OD Spring
    4.56 gears Track Lock in the rear TrueTrac in the Front

Please create a support ticket so we can help you ASAP: https://support.hptuners.com/
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training
    I have already created a support ticket and that process is stalled and is why I posted above. IF the MPVI3 does connect and read Jeep 98 JTEC then the device I received is a failed device and I already should have a replacement instead of being told we need to bring it in to determine. I am 60 years old and have worked on tech stuff all my life 40+ years of car trucks forklifts computer networks even have designed some electronic circuits for guitar amps like my own boards cnc machine shop weld every dang thing. So it is obvious that if an MPVI3 that works will read my Jeep then this one I have is a failed device. Multiple other devices connect read write and datalog. So why am I on the back burner instead of moving forward? WHY
    .30 Over 10.67:1 ported heads, kegger, & throttle body heads are EQ w comp cams roller rockers
    file fit rings balanced rotating assy MSD Coil & MSD6AL prothane motor & trans mounts
    46RE fully built all billet servos larger drums Red Eagle & Kolene ValveBody modified

Tuner in Training
    Do you see the ticket I already created? Do you understand my frustration at this point?
    Point Blank does the MPVI3 read a 1998 Jeep with the JTEC system? I know for a fact that the MPVI2 is being used if somewhat limited and non official to tune these. Thomas Beyer has several youtubes teaching how to do it. Are you aware of that?

Tuner in Training
    70826 is my support ticket # it was created 5 days ago

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I'm sorry I was unable to provide you with the return tag yesterday as I was out of the office, we've sent you a return tag this morning so you can send us your device for testing.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    I sent my MPVI3 back for testing. I do not want a repaired device back I want a new device that works properly heck I have not even gotten to use it. I do see that it was delivered today and in your hands.

Tuner in Training
    I just heard that the Device has been tested and they also get the same issue I experienced on my ECM. Looking forward to a resolution and to be able to actually tune soon.

Tuner in Training
    Don't get your hopes up, my MPVI3 effectively erased a JTEC+ PCM and the quickest solution was buying a used PCM to get the vehicle going so I could get my truck back that I had loaned them in the meantime.

The "fix" didn't fix anything and resulted in the same error you got, and I was met with silence when I brought up the fact that I had to add 50% of my HPT investment into fixing the problem myself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Westbankfireman View Post
    Don't get your hopes up, my MPVI3 effectively erased a JTEC+ PCM and the quickest solution was buying a used PCM to get the vehicle going so I could get my truck back that I had loaned them in the meantime.

The "fix" didn't fix anything and resulted in the same error you got, and I was met with silence when I brought up the fact that I had to add 50% of my HPT investment into fixing the problem myself.
    Wow Thank you for the response. If that is how things are handled at HP Tuners then I need to seek a refund. I mean who the heck sells stuff to the public with issues like this? Man Im not liking the sound of that.

Tuner in Training
    It really depends on your use. HPT is amazing on GM. My experience with Dodge has been less than ideal, but I primarily work on GM vehicles.

Tuner in Training
    Wednesday I will decide if I want to continue just waiting. This is not how things are supposed to work. You don't sell products that are not tested and reliable.

Tuner in Training
    Guessing there is still silence on the JTEC/JTEC+ issues, isn't there?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westbankfireman View Post
    Guessing there is still silence on the JTEC/JTEC+ issues, isn't there?
    Still being worked on

Tuner in Training
    I am bailing spending 1/2 a grand on a piece of hardware that is useless is not my idea of productive. I really do not get it that you would sell a device that will not even perform as well as the devices it replaces and make all these grand claims about it. Starting the Alpha firmware group should have at least meant the device could connect and read. This is just been a huge waste of time and energy. I emailed Bill on getting a refund last night and have heard nothing yet.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerTrading2022 View Post
    I am bailing spending 1/2 a grand on a piece of hardware that is useless is not my idea of productive. I really do not get it that you would sell a device that will not even perform as well as the devices it replaces and make all these grand claims about it. Starting the Alpha firmware group should have at least meant the device could connect and read. This is just been a huge waste of time and energy. I emailed Bill on getting a refund last night and have heard nothing yet.
    I've emailed you this morning and you replied, I need to get approval on things but we'll get you sorted shortly.

Tuner in Training
    I emailed back immediately and now we are into yet another day. This is just really slow and not confidence inspiring at all.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerTrading2022 View Post
    I emailed back immediately and now we are into yet another day. This is just really slow and not confidence inspiring at all.
    Replied to your ticket just now.

Tuner in Training
    HPT did refund my purchase. I met some good peeps here and will not give up on the idea of a more modern tuner that works with JTEC. But the MPVI3 is not ready at all. Maybe it will be in the near future. I really wanted to go this path and am not sure why such an old system presents so many engineering difficulties but it seems that it does.