Thread: Self set monitors

Potential Tuner

Self set monitors

Can we self set monitors on a 17 cla45? I?ll delete this post if I get a quick answer but I didn?t wanna buy credits for what can?t be done on this car lol

No. Not possible with any current software/hardware that I am aware of. Somebody might but I would imagine they would be VERY tight lipped about it over the legality issue her in America.

Advanced Tuner
    I don't know exactly what you mean by "self set monitors" but I assume you mean the diagnostic system and/or trouble codes? I clear my codes daily but for the more problematic ones I have to use Autel or Xentry to clear them. HP cannot do the tough ones. What determines which are tough I don't know, just that most OBD code checking/clearing devices can't do certain ones, and HP is one them.
    I know some codes need a diagnostic cycle to run, and pass, before the code goes away. Yet I can usually clear them before the cycle is complete. Others just need a restart. Which I often do while waiting at a stop light and it's instantly gone. In HP Scanner there is a function that tells you the status of some various cycles and if they've completed or not. It's in the Scanner under Diagnostic, the little engine icon. I've never payed much attention to it, just noticed it was there and the cycle of things were either complete or not complete.

Or do you mean make them never run diagnostic or appear as a code in the first place? I doubt you'll get much help on that since it's illegal in the US, as TheMechanic mentioned, and likely many other countries. HP can make some codes not trigger a check eng light from coming on, but I can tell you it doesn't work on all of them. Why, who knows. I have one fault that triggers with no code or CEL. Not sure why, but maybe that was me disabling it and in reality it only prevents it from appearing? It's either an overboost or torque error, I assume, but whatever it is it kills my boost. Turns the turbos off the moment it happens and a restart is all it needs to reset.

My knowledge on the subject is limited, so all I can say for sure is I blocked or turned off some consistently annoying codes, which I still seem to get some of them, but far fewer check eng lights are triggered. A CEL used to be a daily thing for me, now I'm down to maybe two a week. Hard to say when I turn a code off if it worked, or I simply never triggered it again. But in short, there is a section in HP for turning off codes.
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909

Most that ask this question are wanting something that sets the monitor to complete. A monitor is only a test and not the result of that test. That is shown by a code or a second failed test run to set a MIL/SES

Potential Tuner
    That?s what I?m trying to do. Just disable all reported faults so I have no lights lol

Potential Tuner
    I am looking to see if I can turn off p052e71 code.
    Mine is set to 6 in the original file but mil shows in the dashboard.
    Any idea or help please?

Advanced Tuner
    Merc; I've got code P1CE7 a few times and it says PCV, which google says yours is too?
    Mine does not trigger a CEL and it just goes away the next day, so like most all DTC's I don't believe it's real. On my car, probably all cars, the ecu can't actually tell if the PCV is not working, it only guesses and I believe it usually guesses wrong. At least for me it's always wrong. I suppose you could fix the issue, or try to figure out what the ECU thinks is the issue.
    The last resort (for me) when the ECU says something is broke when it is not, is remove the CEL light bulb or put black tape on the dash over it. Then come smog time I sell the car as a parts car. Shame to sell a perfectly good car like that but it's happened to me many times.

I was told 6 is disabled, yet you can also select "disabled" instead of 6. Apparently disabled is not disabled, which is very confusing and I honestly don't know what disabled or any of the number settings mean other than 6 is supposed to be disabled. As mentioned earlier, 6 is either not disabled or not always disabled because I still get codes set to 6, just like you're getting. Why they can't make it simple I don't know, but most things in the ECU and HP are overly complicated, confusing, and sometimes simply wrong.
    So the best bet, imo, is do whatever is needed to prevent the ecu from thinking your PCV is bad. If replacing the part(s) in question doesn't work then it'll be tough to figure out.
    Google says your code means the PCV is wide open, so if the part is not bad I would suspect a vacuum leak somewhere.

Potential Tuner
    thank you for detail info I might go see the dealer and see if it is real or just a false alarm

Potential Tuner
    the sole reason I was trying to find out is to see if I spend money on 6 universal tokens that can solve my issue or I can take it to mechanic shop and spend more.

Advanced Tuner
    Not sure if the dealer can tell if it's real or not. I've had zero luck with them diagnosing anything, period. They are able to claim things are bad when they are not, however. Last year they said my motor mounts were bad, $1850. I was there for the airbag recall. Motor mounts are likely about due but a year later they're still fine.
    One time I had an issue I couldn't figure out so I took it there. They insisted my MAF sensor was bad. I told them no, it wasn't, but they insisted it was, end of story. To prove it I went there with my other car and swapped sensors while the service manager watched. So they tried again and called days later saying they give up. So for me, any issue I have, I'm 100% on my own.
    Hope you have better luck than I, but my faith in them zero. My guess is they'll change the part in question, charge a ton for it and labor, and if it fixes it great, if not they won't have a clue what to do. So if I were you I'd just change the part myself and see what happens.

If you need to have it smogged, like I do, I'd imagine any change at all will upset the checksum, which they apparently check for now? Or maybe it's just California that does it but if it makes a buck I'm sure other states will do it. It is of course profitable, so it's not if, but when.
    I've been wondering this whole time if applying the HP patch will cause a checksum fail?