Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 09 ram 5.7

Tuner in Training

09 ram 5.7

Hello. Iv been searching and trying to hunt down the exact settings i am looking for. Im sure its in the torque management area just not exactly sure where. What id like to do is have all my power available when i ask for it. What settings are the ones that limit me from say burning the tires right off the truck from a dead stop? I just remember back to the say early 2000?s when you mashed the throttle all the power poured on instantly. Not likely these vehicles where it seems its held back until higher mph. Maybe someone can point me into the right direction

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hello. Iv been searching and trying to hunt down the exact settings i am looking for. Im sure its in the torque management area just not exactly sure where. What id like to do is have all my power available when i ask for it. What settings are the ones that limit me from say burning the tires right off the truck from a dead stop? I just remember back to the say early 2000?s when you mashed the throttle all the power poured on instantly. Not likely these vehicles where it seems its held back until higher mph. Maybe someone can point me into the right direction

Thanks guys
    The 09's are an odd one, not a lot in those 09 tables to get you where you want to be......but I get where you are coming from, but understand that RFE65 that's in your truck doesn't like what you want to do and if your truck is a Long bed....Forget getting across the intersection in the rain....Been there, not a lot of fun....I drove a 14 that had a ton of tuning work, that thing would smoke the tires with a throttle stab at 25MPH and was harder to get back in line then my brothers Hennesy Demon.

Read these 3 threads, a few times....the last one is more of a favor to your trans,
    In the mean time try these 1st

Table(s) 45527, 45528,and 2059 set all of the to Disable, setting them to disable , helps but it's not the "cure" another thing is Engine Diag>General> Tables 45589 and 45590 , set them to max 966.

you'll get closer to your goal with airflow throttle response, you can also lower W.O.T threshold which helps,

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-Throttle-Body
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...nse-with-a-S-C

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-for-the-65RFE
    62 Biscayne 425/409 SS/D stock class car 10.60s
    66 Dart 426CIG3 8.60@171 2750lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Ram All Alum , 468Ci G3 10.50s @4800 lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Rumble Bee, built 6.1 ,4000lbs 10.48 @ 129s MPH. Naturally asperated
    05 Rumble Stock 5.7, 3.92s TUNE ONLY 13.94@98mph

Tuner in Training
    Awesome!! Thanks for the info. Im going to go over all that tomorrow when i have some time. Its just crazy to me. Iv had the truck since new. And a 1995 Silverado with a 250hp v8 will roast the tires if you tap the pedal. This thing moves ok. But if its dry out you can punch it to the floor it just accelerates sorta ok. Definitely more to be desired. But thanks for the response ill check back in after i play with those setting

Senior Tuner
    Play around with the Power % Request and Expected Pedal settings under Engine->Torque Management->Driver Demand.

A lot of the problems with throttle response is Adaptation found under Engine->Airflow->Electronic throttle. Disable that idiotic 'feature'. After that run a throttle relearn through VCM Scanner.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 11-07-2022 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Play around with the Power % Request and Expected Pedal settings under Engine->Torque Management->Driver Demand.

A lot of the problems with throttle response is Adaptation found under Engine->Airflow->Electronic throttle. Disable that idiotic 'feature'. After that run a throttle relearn through VCM Scanner.
    Let’s let him get an understanding of how it works before he plays with something that might let the truck get away from him, and/or tear up that fragile trans.

The 09 pcm can get confused easily, and send odd tq request
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRam View Post
    Let’s let him get an understanding of how it works before he plays with something that might let the truck get away from him, and/or tear up that fragile trans.

Is that still something to worry about with torque limiters and traction control unchanged?

Tuner in Training
    I posted a complete cam'd tune file with trans settings for a '09 Ram. Just search my post

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRam View Post

Hey. Yes i would definitely like a better understanding of what all is happening here. I have a decent idea but far from being confident. I do however have alot of control experience working with PID loops and some of the things im seeing in here. I am an hvac controls technician so alot of this is somewhat familiar but at the same time its
    Confusing So any explanations are welcome and im sure helpful!! Thanks everyone

Senior Tuner
    What I told you is all you have to do. It's not that complicated. I get that the other guys are trying to warn against it. Just don't get too crazy it's that simple.

Try first with the adaptive throttle disabled then run a throttle relearn with VCM Scanner. What you are complaining about, and many other dodge owners complain about, is probably due to the pedal filtering there.

Tuner in Training
    I have tried to search. I cant find an 09 ram tune in your posts. Idk if im searching it wrong somehow

Tuner in Training
    Alright i found and made that change. Im gonna load it soon and take it fir a rip. Also is there a cheat sheet or a good post on better explanations of some of the terms and such?

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Is that still something to worry about with torque limiters and traction control unchanged?
    09 yes, there are a lot of tables that can not be changed on the 09's, and some that are there, no matter what you do to the tune it will revert back to it's stock value, or go into limp mode.

G3 Hemi Videos

Tuner in Training
    Ok so i wrote the file to the truck. It completed and now the truck won’t start. it cranks over seems like it tries to fire a couple times, but will not start so I put the factory program back in it wrote successfully and now it still does the exact same thing cranks seems like a tries to start and nothing.

Tuner in Training
    Ok i let it sit a while. Went back and wrote the factory file again and it starts. I wonder what i messed up in that file����*♂️

Tuner in Training

compare files

ok so I found out for whatever reason that the truck wont start with the edited tune..I was able to get it to run if i mashed the pedal near the floor while cranking and could keep it running feathering the throttle..it would die out as soon as i started to let off the throttle...i went over and compared the tunes a few times and to me (the untrained eye) I dont see anything that jumps out that would affect the truck starting..if anyone feels like looking into a mystery I would appreciate it...I would like to learn and figure out what exactly i did that caused this..thanks Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    ok so I found out for whatever reason that the truck wont start with the edited tune..I was able to get it to run if i mashed the pedal near the floor while cranking and could keep it running feathering the throttle..it would die out as soon as i started to let off the throttle...i went over and compared the tunes a few times and to me (the untrained eye) I dont see anything that jumps out that would affect the truck starting..if anyone feels like looking into a mystery I would appreciate it...I would like to learn and figure out what exactly i did that caused this..thanks Mike
    Why did you adjust ESP TqMgt? Put it back. Just change Electronic Throttle Adaptation.

Fuel->Lean/Fuel-Saving VSS Max and (Eco) VSS Max are also changed for some reason?

So is Trans->Torque Management->Brake on->1st Gear and 2nd Gear.

This is a your stock file right?

Do a write calibration, not write entire. One change at a time.

Before firing up do the throttle relearn with VCM Scanner.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 11-07-2022 at 03:10 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the reply. I changed the tables that were recommending to me. Which ended up being the esp torque management. I changed the fuel savings speed up in an attempt to allow mds to run at a higher speed. It was set to 45mph. I made that change in a previous file and the truck ran fine. Actually seems to have gotten almost 2 MPGat thruway speeds and iv only ever did a write calibration Ill switch the esp back I just would like to understand how anything changed in that file would not allow it to start
    Last edited by [email protected]; 11-07-2022 at 03:29 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Ok tried it again. Its the throttle adaptation that fucks with it. If it’s disabled it wont start

Senior Tuner
    Ok tried it again. Its the throttle adaptation that fucks with it. If it’s disabled it wont start
    That's too bad. Looks like a no-go on that one.

Again the 09’s are a different breed of” WTF , it worked on the other truck.

The 09's have a few different operating systems, it was the change over year to FCA control , there was a Ton of revisions to get the VVT system to operate "smoothly" because of the SRV intake , not to mention it was the 1st year for electronic steering...... I still don't understand why that F's with the ECU.

TSB 04-05 has the best OS to work with, but it's hit or miss on throttle adaption, you best bet , once again is to mod the Airflow table. and ESP disable .

Find out which update you have, or if it was updated...if it wasn't get it, if it was , then your stuck next step is to upgrade to the 2010-2014 ECU . ...Hate to be the hard line A-hole about it...but trust me been there , hated it. adapt and overcame.
    Last edited by PurpleRam; 11-08-2022 at 08:47 AM.
    G3 Hemi Videos