Thread: Engine knock retard

Potential Tuner

Engine knock retard

So i have a twin turbo 6.4 hemi and can not for the life of me eliminate the knock. The knock is happening as soon as i start building boost. i have check over everything mechanical and cannot find anything wrong. I am under the suspicion that this is false knock due to the wastegates being dumped straight under the car not far after the headers. I have retarded the timing several times and i see the same knock in the same spot each time nothing changes. Someone please let me know if theres anything else i can do because at this point my twin turbo 6.4 hemi is producing less power than it did stock and its driving me insane haha.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz56 View Post
    So i have a twin turbo 6.4 hemi and can not for the life of me eliminate the knock. The knock is happening as soon as i start building boost. i have check over everything mechanical and cannot find anything wrong. I am under the suspicion that this is false knock due to the wastegates being dumped straight under the car not far after the headers. I have retarded the timing several times and i see the same knock in the same spot each time nothing changes. Someone please let me know if theres anything else i can do because at this point my twin turbo 6.4 hemi is producing less power than it did stock and its driving me insane haha.
    Knock retard doesn't necessarily mean actual knock happened. Look at knock sensor voltages to know for sure.

Try this (assuming your knock sensor voltage thresholds are stock), copy the voltage thresholds of cylinder 2 to cylinder 1 and give it a try. Cylinder 1 always has its thresholds much lower than others for some reason.

Tuner in Training
    A very wise person once pointed out to me that on an engine with headers it's possible that sometimes header tubes that are very close to each other may bang together under load and cause false knock. After confirming this was true on my setup i welded the close pipes together and the issue went away.

Mark

Schwartz56, you aid in you other post that you are only running 6 lbs of Boost ?
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q