Thread: Flex Fueling my 2003 Sierra Z71? Any Socal or SD CA mchanics?

Potential Tuner

Flex Fueling my 2003 Sierra Z71? Any Socal or SD CA mchanics?

Hey peeps. I have a 2003 5.3L V8 Sierra Z71 and id like to E85 it,

What is the needed kit to convert the system?
    Is there complete kits to purchase? and or known mechanics who can tune it in southern CA?

I'm a mechanic but no idea how to map PCM to e85. but I can change the everything myself or even let the mechanic make a buck, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Senior Tuner
    It shouldn't be too hard to do this as there are a few flex fuel operating systems in that year range.

Can I ask why? Unless its direct injected or forced induction or severely knock limited it will not pick up much if any at all. Maybe you can save money at the pump but that would be questionable with the fuel mileage loss.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

If it's just a highway mile pounder, it would save him money. The city mileage of E85 sucks but I can still get damn near 20mpg on E85 in my newer truck thats rated for 21 on regular 87 octane.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    It also depends on if you want it tuned for E85 all the time or flex to switch back and forth. E85 full time you could just put flex fuel injectors and tune it with the OS you already have. For flex you would have to do the injectors and add the alcohol sensor in the fuel line, wire it in to the PCM and flash the PCM with a FF operating system from a 03 truck or SUV with a L59 5.3L.

Pin 56 on the Blue PCM connector is for the fuel composition sensor. The sensor has 3 wires, Keyed 12v power supply, ground and the wire to pin 56. You will likely have to do a segment swap in the PCM if its not already set up for flex fuel, as I recall simply enabling the flex fuel tab didn't make it work because there is programming missing that we don't have access to. Once a segment swap is done and assuming your gas is correct the flex fuel system should work. I would expect to have to do some tuning on the flex side to get fuel economy up. I never tuned mine for fuel economy because I rarely drive it in a way that;s gonna get fuel mileage anyway.

I hope this helps.

Senior Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    This is the reason for the segment swap.

I thought it was pretty common for the segment swap to not work, and the best alternative is to go straight to using the whole dedicated FF OS?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    I thought it was pretty common for the segment swap to not work, and the best alternative is to go straight to using the whole dedicated FF OS?
    Correct. It's the OS, not the data it handles.

Ive only added to e85 to one vehicle and what I posted above worked great. Sounds like I got lucky, maybe I should have picked up a lottery ticket that day.

Potential Tuner
    Thakns for all the replies. I need it for hwy gas saving at 6 dollar a allon here thanks to joe, but id like to switch e85 to regular gas. Lot of technical info here that goes over my head lol

Yes, because the President has a big rotary dial on his desk that sets the goddamn gas prices. JFC.

Senior Tuner
    What's funny is the president has more control over the price of a bushel of corn than a barrel of crude.

Potential Tuner
    Right!!!!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GMfanUSA View Post
    Thakns for all the replies. I need it for hwy gas saving at 6 dollar a allon here thanks to joe, but id like to switch e85 to regular gas. Lot of technical info here that goes over my head lol
    How?d the project go? I?m attempting to do the same for my 03 Sierra.