Thread: Cobalt PCM Intentionally Disabled by HP Tuners?! 2 Bricked PCMs and no solutions

Potential Tuner

Cobalt PCM Intentionally Disabled by HP Tuners?! 2 Bricked PCMs and no solutions

2006 Cobalt SS LSJ Supercharged

So a quick back story. Ordered a stage 2 kit from ZZP which includes injectors, smaller pulley and new re flashed PCM which confirmed by Ryan at ZZP they use HPTuners to flash. 2 weeks later installed the parts and got ECU error indicating I needed a crank relearn so I purchased the MPVI3 with 2 Credits from ZZP. After many attempts I was finally able to get the crank relearn done from inside the scanner. After a very quick drive I got a lean LT trim bank1 code so was told to send them a log but first to initiate a remote tune but decided I want to increase the injector table a bit to make it a bit richer to be on the safe side before doing the log. So I downloaded the HP Tuners flashed file from the ECU and made the small edits to it. All the while everything connected great, scanner ran fine, I could read ECU information and I could download the map with no issues. After the small changes I made, I made sure I had good volate on plug in power on laptop and all was good. I then clicked 'Write Calibration'. It did the first few connection checks etc and Erased the map then it got to the write stage, wrote 1% then stuck for a few seconds then I got a 'Writer Transfer: Timed Out' Error. I immediately then tried it again and as soon as it says Requesting Access I get a 'Controller Unlocker : Timed Out' error. Tried it several times, same error.

Engine will no longer start. I had the original ECU as well there and figured it was probably something wrong with the ECU from ZZP itself maybe so tried it on my original one that came with the Engine after of course having to purchase 2 more credits. Same exact issue. I have tried it no less than 150 times in the last couple of days. Every 20 or so times it might get to the write phase but always times out, the farthest I have gotten is 57% but usually times out at 1% or sometimes before even getting to the write phase. I scoured the internet looking for a solution and it seems many persons have had this same problem but I have yet to find a working solution. I have tried....

New battery. Battery with charger attached, 3 Laptops with different windows version installed, 3 cables, all the different ports, 2 different internet connections, one LAN and another WIFI, disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, overnight. Removing every single non critical fuse from the vehicle, cleaning out the pins on the harness and the OBD2 port, resyncing the module several times, downloading the BETA software, making sure nothing else on the vehicle was on (fuses all removed anyway). Checked all the grounds over. Vehicle has no electric issues otherwise. I cannot even start my vehicle and am at my wits end. Of course I reached out to HP Tuners and even though this seems to be a common issue not once is it mentioned in their support tab so I opened a ticket. This was my response...

"I've looked over the info and have had a conversation with the engineers and at present this vehicle has been disabled from tuning, the engineers are working quickly to fix the issues at hand but unfortunately I do not have an eta on when this will be supported again I'm sorry." So I asked if they meant my specific vehicle or that model and was told "The issue is with the ECM type there were a couple of other flavors of ECM's that were affected and temporarily disabled them till everything gets fixed."

So I have two separate ECMs that are now bricked and one of them just a few days ago was written by ZZP with the same HP Tuners and Ryan tells me they are still writing to them daily. HP Tuners cannot explain that to me, their response to that..."Not sure how there doing that"

If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears because the only alternative for me right now is to consider all of my upgrades wasted money (over $2000 at this stage) including the HP Tuners module and all the credits, remove them and purchase a stock ECU and reinstall until HP Tuners can sort it all out even though there is no indication when or if that will ever actually happen and I am having a hard time believing it to even be the case if ZZP is still writing to them all now and they have no reason to lie to me. To say I am angry and frustrated is an understatement.

Tuner
    This PCM uses Class 2 (VPW) communication and GM tells you HAVE to pull RADIO fuse for reprogramming any other ECU, especially PCM.
    2011 Cadillac Escalade L94 w/LS3 valves and valve springs

Is there a list of vehicles or a thread explaining which vehicles need the radio fuse pulled for reprogramming? This kind of information would be very good to know before one bricks their ECU during a first write operation.
    Working on being HPTuners literate.

- Paul J.

1. Radio fuse including aftermarket radio fuse(s)
    2. Radio Amp fuse including aftermarket radio fuse(s)
    3. Info fuse
    4. SEO B1 fuse.
    5. SEO Ign fuse
    Most if not all of the "bricked" PCM's can be unbricked.
    Due to these issues I now only off board program any 411, P01, and P59 PCM's.
    Last edited by TheMechanic; 11-16-2022 at 10:36 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulster2 View Post
    Is there a list of vehicles or a thread explaining which vehicles need the radio fuse pulled for reprogramming? This kind of information would be very good to know before one bricks their ECU during a first write operation.
    Check wiring diagrams and pull the fuse if Radio sits on the same data bus as PCM.
    2011 Cadillac Escalade L94 w/LS3 valves and valve springs

Quote Originally Posted by verlon View Post
    Check wiring diagrams and pull the fuse if Radio sits on the same data bus as PCM.
    Gee, that would just make too much sense TY!
    Working on being HPTuners literate.

- Paul J.

Senior Tuner
    The OP is running the ECM in a Goblin Kit Car. Typically this would mean only the ECM/PCM, BCM and EPS modules are left. But he might have other things added in/still in use or other issues with the data wiring.

Potential Tuner
    Every single non critical fuse has been pulled, I even disconnected the entire interior fuse box at one point. As gtstorey said there isnt even a radio in the vehicle but I removed the fuses just in case. In any event HP Tuners is telling me that none of this matters because they have intentionally blocked these vehicles from being written to. They are aware of the issue and have blocked it even though the vehicle is still listed in their supported vehicle list and even though they allowed me to apply 4 credits to 2 different ecus for same type of vehicle. So essentially I am to park my vehicle and wait on their engineers to fix the error. They also have ignored any request for a refund for the credits on a vehicle they do not actually support. I have a bench harness coming shortly to try however and another ECU so will find out soon if the issue is related to the vehicle or not.

Interestingly if I leave it on High Speed write it will usually time out at 1% but on the occassions it chooses to attempt a write and I uncheck High Speed it will almost always get to 57.3% then time out. I asked HP Tuners support about this and was again told that it because they have blocked those ECUs. Meanwhile many other people including ZZP are getting them written regularly so go figure.
    Last edited by RedlineCobalt; 11-17-2022 at 06:32 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Same issue here, tried tuning my 2007 Cobalt SS/SC today. Same errors, tried most the same stuff, just to figure out they disabled it? But didn't tell anyone? Kind of infuriating...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    We have NOT intentionally disabled anyones ecm. If you are having an issue we recommend open up a support ticket which can be done here https://support.hptuners.com
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"