Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LQ4 tuning cam only

Tuner in Training

LQ4 tuning cam only

I have a 2005 chevy 2500hd with a btr truck norris cam it runs good and idles, have went in and advanced the timing from 16 to 20 in a little grid and raised the idle to 800. The problem comes when its in gear it will go into all gears but inbetween dips down in rpm but will idle and roll, but once you tap the gas move and let off it will go when you let off it tends to die. If your not aggresive with it realesing the gas it will try to catch itself before dieing in gear. rolling* I have a log but not of with it dieing. Wanna know some tips im a 16 y/o and my dad trying to use hp tuners for the first time..... might lower it to 750 to idle, but idle dont fix anything and it liked the timing nothing else istouched. 22-11-10 12-57-39.hpl 20adv800idle.hpt
    Last edited by nkotefski; 11-10-2022 at 05:55 PM.

Still have to adjust the base running airflow because of the camshaft, tends to require a little more. Then you have to adjust the fueling to get that is order.

The MAF and VE tables will require tuning to get the fueling correct. I'd probably invest in a wideband oxygen sensor for tuning as well.

I know you're a little ways away from tuning for power and all that but you will require larger injectors once you get there. A cammed 6.0 will max out the stock fuel injectors above ~5,000rpm. That camshaft will make power all the way out to 6,000-6,200.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I went and lowered the idle and played with the base run airflow and we havent really changed anything else.

It doesnt idle in gear now but it runs fine park and neutral. and we dont really want to mess with fueling.

stock but idle file runs better then with the 5 adv in my last. got a better log maybe to.

stalling log idle to 2000 rpm.hpl750idle.hpt

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Make the Scanner Histograms work in your favor. They can easily be manipulated to match ECU tables, allowing you to copy and paste changes to speed things up.
    HPTuners Scanner PID, Filters, and Math
    HPTuners Sanner Tips and Tricks

I don't see any airflow channels being recorded other than MAF. There is a channel for Idle Airflow if I'm not mistaken. Generate a new histogram table in the scanner that plots Idle Airflow against Coolant Temp (make sure units match your ecu units). The axes values can be customized to match your ecu's Base Running Airflow (BRAF) table. Doing this will help you see what Idle Airflow the computer thinks it needs vs. what you have input into your table. Easier to see where changes need to be made this way. Once you establish a solid P/N BRAF, copy the numbers into the Gear side and add 1.0 to them. It's a decent starting place as it aligns with the factory's .75-1.0 split between park and in gear values.
    When you do this, you'll have to make sure your recording is strictly in park/neutral or starts and ends while in gear. Without advanced filtering, the histogram will combine P/N and Gear data making it garbage. Since P/N and Gear have separated sections in the ECU table, it will have to be separated in the log to be useful. Just keep that in mind for this part of the tune.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by nkotefski View Post
    and we dont really want to mess with fueling.

stalling log idle to 2000 rpm.hpl750idle.hpt
    You can't not tune an engine without touching fueling. You added a camshaft that flows more air, it's going to need more in some area's and less fuel in others because of the design of the camshaft.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Like the guys above have stated.. you have NO CHOICE but to address the fueling. The entire point of "tuning" is to give the engine the exact amount of fuel it needs across all of it's various operating ranges and states. If you don't want to "mess with fueling" then you are not going to be able to fix the stalling at idle issues, or stalling when returning to idle issues.

This is a very good video by a guy that actually posts on the LS1tech forums... https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...oc+idle+tuning though it says it is for DBC vehicles, and yours is DBW, many of the tuning methods are relevant. You will need to start by disabling the MAF, and tuning the VE Table. Then after tuning the VE table, you can then disable dynamic air and tune the MAF.. then you can do your base running airflow to try and remedy the stalling issues at idle. That is going to be the sequence to follow to find resolution to your issues. There are no short cuts. You MUST fix the VE table and MAF table before you move on to idle tuning. Spark tuning will have to be done along the way as well. You can continue to play around with idle speed, and the Base Running Airflow #'s all you would like but until you get the VE table, MAF, and spark, worked out.. you are just kind of floundering around like a fish out of water and you are not likely to find success in fixing the idle issues. If you don't have the time it's going to take to tune it properly, or are not comfortable messing with the fueling, maybe find someone local to you to tune it. That video I linked has very specific information towards the end that can help you fix idle issues-BUT ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE THE BASICS WORKED OUT.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    I didn't catch that comment about not wanting to tune fuel.
    I agree with these folks. You must correct fuel when changing the airflow both mechanically (cam in your case) and electronically (Idle RPM, BRAF, etc..).
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    ok, Update Got a AFR wide band touched ve and idle and idle air found a happy medium for now to make it not stall in gear, .75 multiplyed to ve in some idle cells, idle 4 grams added idle air flow and timing by like 4 degree adv to just make it idle ill update more and ask if I need help thank y'all. maybe a log coming of the drive

Tuner in Training

tune

I have data logs of a 6.0 lq4 2500 with btr truck norris cam. Afrs are good, Just want someone to lead me on and check it, runs ok. dont mind all the junk in channles if looking....

yessss.hpl CITY.hpl nicks 2 23.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Your VE and MAF table looks completely stock. It doesnt look like anything has really been touched in the tune honestly. COT is still enabled (im assuming you dont have cats)...Is this a stock truck youre just looking to recalibrate or is this the same truck from the OG post with the truck norris cam? I can make some changed to the tune and help you out if you want, but you cant log data and apply those changes the way it is setup. there are too many things making fueling changes in the background.

Please let me know what the goal here is and what all mods are done and we can go from there...

Tuner in Training
    everthing is pretty much untouched indeed just some air spark little things, the truck has cats but a aftermarket muffler , besides the cam and valve springs its a stocker. og post same guy goal really is to have someone look over and or clean up and explain possibly what could be done from here. thanks
    Last edited by nkotefski; 06-05-2023 at 04:30 PM.

I would suggest to log knock aswell.

when getting some of these logs, i like to get the following once at operating temp, idle time regular drives, then some partial WOT pulls and once youve got this figured out you can move forward with making those WOT adjustments.

I believe you made a comment about your wideband but i dont see it in the log, i simply see the commanded but not the acutal.

Tuner in Training
    I have a wide band but it’s not going to the computer and I will add knock to my logs

Advanced Tuner
    has this vehicle been sitting for a year, or haveyou guys been driving it?

if you google RUSSK idle you can get a really good start on your tuning.
    After it idles, you need to do BRAF. After that you can start on VE with your stock O2 sensors. youll need to log your LTFT and STFTs to see if youre rich or lean. Id suspect lean.
    from there you can update your VE table. If its way out, like above 10% rough all that in to get it closer to 2 or 5%. Then Tune your MAF. Then recheck the VE.
    All this takes several hours and around 150 miles of driving. Dont go above 3500 rpms, because that gets you inot PE mode and you tune that serpeatly. Being your truck is stock, i dont think id even look at the wideband in PE mode. Id just concnetrate on under 3500 rpms with the stock O2 sensors and dailing in your idle and cruise areas.
    Lots of good youtube videos to go in depth explaining all of what i have written

Tuner in Training
    Thanks I drive it like 70 miles a week

Quote Originally Posted by nkotefski View Post
    Thanks I drive it like 70 miles a week
    Here little adjustments i did, nothing serious, its just how i startup in most cases. (see attachment)

My changes
    >Stoich > 14.12
    >Closed Loop Enabled > 94 across the board
    >EQ Ratio
    >STFT Open Loop > Disabled
    >PE Throttle >HOT/COLD
    >PE EQ RATIO
    >SPARK>KNOCK SENSORS>KNOCK SENSOR TIP IN > MAX TPS

I think i listed everything but heres a list of things i like to include in my logs for idle

Engine RPM (SAE)
    Vehicle Speed (SAE)
    Throttle Position (SAE)
    Timing Advance (SAE)

Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure (SAE)
    Dynamic Airflow
    Cylinder Airmass
    Barometric Pressure
    Mass Airflow Sensor
    Mass Airflow

Engine Coolant Temp (SAE)
    Intake Air Temp (SAE)

AEM - EQ Ratio
    Equivalence Ratio Commanded
    Air-Fuel Ratio Commanded

Knock Retard
    Burst Knock Retard

Fuel System #1 Status (SAE)

Idle Desired RPM
    Idle Desired Airflow

Idle Air Control Position
    Idle Air Control Desired Position

Idle Advance
    Idle Startup Airflow
    Idle Base Gear Airflow
    Idle Base Sum Airflow
    Idle Base PN Airflow
    Idle Adapt (STIT)
    LTIT Gear/ACoff

Idle Cracker Airflow
    Idle Follower Airflow

Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 (SAE)
    Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 (SAE)
    Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 (SAE)
    Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 (SAE)
    O2 Voltage B1S1
    O2 Voltage B2S1

When logging id suggest, turning key to on position (dont turn on vehicle), start logging (press the red record button), once you see data being logged, turn the vehicle on.

Let it idle until it reaches operating temp. Once at operating temp, log it for a 1-2 mins, press stop and save your file.

Report back when done.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by tana99ss; 06-06-2023 at 08:11 PM.

Tuner in Training
    will do ill let you know when i get to my computer and truck, thank you. I look at it and seen the small changes to.
    Last edited by nkotefski; 06-06-2023 at 08:41 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I have log after your changes... nickslog.hpl

I dont think you added everything i input but i did some minor changes. once again try it, log it, report back
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    will do ill do the other thing for the logs sorry