Thread: credits Unlimited Year/Model GM

Potential Tuner

credits Unlimited Year/Model GM

my questions is , i have bought 4 credits that i had used on the same year/generation 99-07 silverados if i buy 2 more credits will that give me the option for the Unlimited Year/Model GM for 99-07 silverado? or will i have to buy all 6 credits at one time?
    Last edited by Hitman55; 11-10-2022 at 05:17 PM.

Nope. Once you buy enough licenses for trucks of the same year you will unlock just that year.

Like if you tuned 2 different 2002 Silverado's, you will be that much closer to unlocking just 2002's trucks. I forget off hand the exact amount but it would take like 4-6 trucks of that same year to unlock just that year.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    okay thanks , one of the trucks i did was a 2003 and the other was 2006 both silverado's . i was a little confused , on the site it had for(99-07 Silverado 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 8.1 ) it would require 6 credits . i didnt know if that would work if i have already used 4credits . thanks again...

I'm a little surprised it only covers just the single year. You'd think it would cover the range as shown in the vehicle licensing scheme. Is there somewhere which explains this better? I don't believe I've seen anything which breaks it down like that. I'm glad to see the multiple licenses do catch up, though. That was what I wanted to find out in the first place.

EDIT: Even the heading implies it should cover more than a single year ... "Unlimited Year/Model GM"
    Last edited by Paulster2; 11-16-2022 at 07:05 AM.
    Working on being HPTuners literate.

- Paul J.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulster2 View Post
    I'm a little surprised it only covers just the single year. You'd think it would cover the range as shown in the vehicle licensing scheme. Is there somewhere which explains this better? I don't believe I've seen anything which breaks it down like that. I'm glad to see the multiple licenses do catch up, though. That was what I wanted to find out in the first place.

EDIT: Even the heading implies it should cover more than a single year ... "Unlimited Year/Model GM"

The licensing strategy seems to only confuse those who expect to receiving something for nothing.

If you somehow expect to be able to tune all Gen 3 truck PCMs from 1999 to 2007 (P01 and P59) for only 6 credits ($300) then you are deluding yourself.

Below is a link to an HPT knowledge article:

https://support.hptuners.com/hc/en-u...pgrade-Credits

With most Gen 3 LS controllers (P01 or P59), once you licensing 3 PCMs of the same year and model, it will then allow you to tune unlimited vehicles of the EXACT same year and model.

For example, you license 3 PCMs (P01) from 2002 Chev Silverado trucks. You may then tune an unlimited number of 2002 Chev Silverado truck PCMs (P01).

I am not certain if HPT still offers unlimited licenses.

Historically, purchasing an unlimited license for GM Gen 3 trucks was around 36 credits ($1800) if memory serves. Likewise for an unlimited license GM Gen 3 cars.

So, to purchase an unlimited license for all GM Gen 3 PCMs (P01 and P59) was around 72 credits ($3600).

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulster2 View Post

Its an unlimited amount of 1 year/model of vehicle, we found there is really no better way to cover what it is in a few words unfortunately. Year/model licenses have been something we featured in our product since inception back in 03/04 so its certainly not something new.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

In 'Unlimited Year/Model GM', I think it means something that 'Year' and 'Model' are both singular. Some people seem to be misreading it, as if it said 'Unlimited Years/Models GM'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Its an unlimited amount of 1 year/model of vehicle, we found there is really no better way to cover what it is in a few words unfortunately. Year/model licenses have been something we featured in our product since inception back in 03/04 so its certainly not something new.
    I hear you. It was my misunderstanding. The part you are not taking into account with your statement of it being there since back in 03/04 is that while your licensing scheme isn't new, new people will always be coming along and not understanding. Written words on an already available webpage would go a long way to alleviating any misunderstandings. Just a suggestion.

@Shrek ... I wouldn't be trying to get "something for nothing". I am more than willing to pay for the licenses I thought I'd need to be purchasing. The implication by wording on the page suggests how I stated it might be the case as far as licensing goes. At the very least, I'm sure I'm not the first person to have thought this and I'm sure I'll not be the last. Obviously the OP thought the same thing going into it by the question which was asked. No hard feelings here, but please understand, while it doesn't hurt my feelings, others might not feel the same. This is old hat for you ... I'm a newbie and just trying to figure it all out. I am very pleased to see I don't have to buy the six (6) credits up front for a single year (given a single Silverado LS example), but that the system keeps up with it all and will transition it once I've reached a threshold.

I have no problem with HPT making the money from the development of their product. They can license it however they like. Clearer understanding up front makes it so everyone is happy and there is nothing hiding under the rug. And please don't get me wrong, I'm not upset about any of it ... just glad to now have a better understanding.
    Working on being HPTuners literate.

- Paul J.

"Unlimited number of vehicles of the same year and same model GM"?

Advanced Tuner
    Last I looked into it, if you wanted to purchase all at once, it was...

Gen3 99-06 V8 Truck/SUV is 30 credits ($1500)

Gen4 07-13 V8 Truck/SUV is considerably more at 130 credits ($6500)
    You can get unlimited on 14/15 Trucks, but not 16+

Gen3/4 V8 Car pricing mirrors this

V6 is a whole separate thing

Senior Tuner
    Unless something has changed only 75% of individual licenses applied to model year licenses. For example Gen 4 GM trucks. 2 credits for individual license, 12 for model year. It takes 8 individual licenses to convert to the model year, so 16 credits if you don't buy the model year license to start. Say you license 4 trucks individually. That is 8 credits total. Only 6 of those credits would apply to a model year. So after those 4 trucks you would have to spend 6 more credits to convert at that point to a model year, not 4. If you continue to just license individual trucks, when you license the 8th vehicle, it will convert to a model year for that year and type truck. But you had to select model year when you licensed that 8th truck. It does not convert automatically. It will also have the option to license that 8th truck as an individual, so look at the license options carefully. I'll also mention that Silverados and Sierras are considered the same vehicle type as are Camaros and Trans Ams. I believe all other similar models are considered separate vehicle types. For example, Tahoes and Yukons are separate, Suburbans and Yukon XLs are separate, Avalanche's are separate from Silverados and Sierras.

Tuner in Training
    So I am a bit slow and looked on the license page, I have 1 2002 suburban(5.3) license, 1 2002 Tahoe (4.8) License, and am about to tune a my other 2002 Suburban (5.3). Will it unlock the year/model automatically or will there be an option to do it?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by apathy93z View Post
    So I am a bit slow and looked on the license page, I have 1 2002 suburban(5.3) license, 1 2002 Tahoe (4.8) License, and am about to tune a my other 2002 Suburban (5.3). Will it unlock the year/model automatically or will there be an option to do it?
    No. The 2nd 02 Suburban will count towards the 02 Suburban model/year, but licensing it alone isn't enough. Once it is licensed 3 of the credits used on those two vehicles will apply to the 6 needed for all 02 Suburbans. If you do a 3rd 02 Suburban you could spend 3 credits on it to have full model year 02 Suburbans, or license two more 02 Suburbans for 2 credits each and the 4th Suburban would have the option to convert the model year. The 02 Tahoe is it's own model not grouped in with Suburbans.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    The software automatically calculates any and all upgrade credits you might have available, ie the software will tell you how many credits you need. The software does NOT automatically unlock anything for you. Ultimately you the end user need to select the option.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    New guy here. How specific is the model breakdown? As in GMC vs Chevrolet, 1500 vs 2500 vs 3500, etc. Obviously, as stated in a prior reply, Suburbans and Tahoes are different, but are a Tahoe and a Yukon different? And are all Silverados the same or is a Silverado 1500 different than a Silverado 2500? Just trying to figure out how specific I need to be when harvesting salvage yard parts for swaps.

Senior Tuner
    In the Truck, SUV lines as I stated earlier Silverados and Sierras are combined for all V8s. V6s are separate. All other models are considered separate models.

Advanced Tuner
    I learned the hard way too, that if you're down to needing 3 credits to complete that year model upgrade... The logical thinker in me thought the first time, I will license this truck with 2 credits as needed, and then the next one will only require 1 credit to complete the upgrade. That is not the case. The next one still required 2 credits to license.

So, take my $50 wasted lesson and know that if you are towards the end of earning that year and you see "3 credits for unlimited year" spend the extra $50 and knock it out then, or you'll waste $50 on the next one.

Potential Tuner
    I was considering moving to HP until I saw all this confusion and complication of licensing a vehicle to tune. HP's choice of wording is totally confusing and could be costly based on village_idiot's comments. I mostly tune 2010-2015 camaros with efilive...you buy a license (based on vin), you tune the car! Do NOT show a range of years for camaros and say 12 credits for unlimited when its not. Come up with different wording and stop using unlimited (only if you tune so many)! Totally confusing. I feel like HP is using bait-n-switch process to make money. Not a process I want to do business with.
    On the fence even more so.

Senior Tuner
    This is right near the top of the supported vehicle list.

Year/Model type licenses will work on an unlimited number of vehicles of that particular model and year.

If you can't understand that then that is your problem.