Thread: Android Auto integration?

Potential Tuner

Android Auto integration?

So I just started doing track days and I wanted to use TrackAddict to record lap times and vehicle parameters (RPM, Speed, Throttle Position, etc.) via OBD2 to overlay on videos (Using RaceRender)

TrackAddict recommends that the phone be kept in a windshield mount so that it has a good view of the sky and so that it can be seen by the driver.

Being a newbie, I think it's a little more of a distraction, as I'm not trying to beat any records. I'm trying to learn my local tracks and master being smooth on my car inputs.
    However it's nice to have a keepsake of your first time.

It seems that having TrackAddict integrated into Android Auto may be beneficial for several reasons:

My head unit has an external GPS antenna for better reliability and more accurate positioning...
    I can place my phone in the center console or my pocket and remove the suction cup mount from the windshield. This means less possibility of it becoming a projectile if I wreck the car.
    The head unit can display lap times out of the way lower on the dashboard so as not to be a distraction.

Does this seem like a good idea to anyone else?
    Is there any way to bring this idea up to HPTuners for potential future versions of TrackAddict?

Tuner in Training
    This always seems like a good idea but the end result is that it's the worst of both worlds. Android Auto is really just a remote display feature for your Android device. It won't use the build-in GPS (which is worse anyway) and it won't make the app easier to use since AA reduces the features of the apps a lot when you use it. The apparent reason for that is to limit distraction while driving by removing things that would interfere with driving.

Personally I use a Samsung 8" tablet to run TrackAddict along with a Garmin ViRB camera, QStartz 10hz GPS and a OBDLink MX+ and that seems to work pretty well. The biggest issue I saw when I started messing with this was that the GPS and OBD unit lacked the sampling rate capability so the data was always jumpy/spotty. I had tried the built-in GPS of the phone/tablet and it's just too slow and I tried a different/generic OBD reader and it also couldn't keep up.

In the end, while the TrackAddict software is pretty great, there are other data acquisition systems that are easier and better because they include the appropriate hardware. Of course they are more expensive too.