Thread: Noobie questions

Tuner in Training

Noobie questions

So, I acquired a car that was previously tuned with HP tuners to my understanding, I borrowed a buddies MPVI2, connected to the OBD port, and read the existing configuration. I was also able to view the car and sensors inputs through the VCM scanner, so I know I am connected and it's communicating. However, when I view the Editor I see no maps, engine parameters, write functions, etc. Is this because I need to purchase credits? I was under the assumption it was stored in the ECU. I don't know much about HP tuners as I'm an old hondata guy but looking to learn on this project car.

The car runs great when warmed up but runs terrible on a cold start so I am trying to figure out what's going on. Attached is the read file, TIA.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I see everything on that file.

The computer came from a 2001 Camaro with a 5.7. But the tune currently looks to be setup to run a 5.3.

Tune needs work though, the fueling looks to be all off. VE table way too high and the commanded air fuel ratio looks to be compensating for a problem at full throttle. Like low fuel pressure or incorrectly sized fuel injectors.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I see everything on that file.

The computer came from a 2001 Camaro with a 5.7. But the tune currently looks to be setup to run a 5.3.

Tune needs work though, the fueling looks to be all off. VE table way too high and the commanded air fuel ratio looks to be compensating for a problem at full throttle. Like low fuel pressure or incorrectly sized fuel injectors.
    That's what showed up for me too but the engine and ecu is out of a 2003 silverado.

Tuner in Training
    I have that option selected but it's just a blank screen on the editor, Im sure I am missing something simple.

Quote Originally Posted by FullSpool View Post
    That's what showed up for me too but the engine and ecu is out of a 2003 silverado.
    That's not really possible unless someone rewired the truck.

1999-2002 trucks use a P01 controller. The 2003-2007's use a P59 controller and if it's a Silverado/Sierra/Tahoe/Yukon etc they used drive by wire and not a cable throttle body like this computer/tune is setup for.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Maximize the editor window, maybe the stuff you aren't seeing got moved to a position where it's off-screen when it's windowed.

Tuner in Training
    That's not really possible unless someone rewired the truck.

1999-2002 trucks use a P01 controller. The 2003-2007's use a P59 controller and if it's a Silverado/Sierra/Tahoe/Yukon etc they used drive by wire and not a cable throttle body like this computer/tune is setup for.
    Maybe the guy had his years wrong, I was getting the info second hand.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Maximize the editor window, maybe the stuff you aren't seeing got moved to a position where it's off-screen when it's windowed.
    see attached, probably not selecting something correctly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Click on Engine, Engine Diag, Trans, etc. to see the stuff in the different sections.

screenshot.14-11-2022 21.04.13.png

Tuner in Training
    Gotcha, the interface is different than I am used to. Thanks for the help!

I figured he would have atleast clicked around a bit first, but anyways lol.

Tuner in Training
    I figured he would have atleast clicked around a bit first, but anyways lol.
    understood, but I am used to fuel, and timing tables (see attached) populated as soon as you open the program. The buttonology is foreign to me at this time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the videos, I have been watching them and goat's garage. I need to purchase a license for the car since it was tuned by someone else with hp tuners. I did a data log; you can see it really struggles on a cold start and it smells really rich.
    Attached Files Attached Files