Thread: crankshaft relearn 1.4t

crankshaft relearn 1.4t

Can someone tell me the procedure for crankshaft relearn for the 1.4t. The engine is in an off road buggy so the normal procedure will not work. I would need a park brake pedal and the correct signal for it. I can look up which pin would need the signal but the wiring dia. does not give the correct voltage. Does anyone know what it is or can guide me to the right reference table so I can look it up myself?
    Last edited by carotene; 11-16-2022 at 12:10 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Most of the time the answer will be that you need fake in all the info that the relearn requires. But it will probably be a lot easier with a Tech2 and the service manual so you can get feedback on what is going on through the steps.

crank relearn

Thanks, but I will wait and see who can help with HPT. I have tried to find the info in the forum but so far all I have gotten is "no match" to what I have entered to try and bring it up. Maybe there's somebody that can guide me in the right direction.

I installed the brake position sensor and tried to do the relearn 5 times it won't reset. Anyone got an idea why?

Senior Tuner
    I'll try one more time. Do you have a copy of the service manual instructions to see what the specific steps are? Sometimes it has to have a parking brake signal, sometimes it has to have certain temps, etc. And again using HPT doesn't usually give you enough feedback to figure out where it's failing.

I use Tech2Win for my CKP relearns. It almost always requires a park brake applied, brake pedal press's and release steps, and of course not codes (not including variation relearn not performed) and operating temp.

A parking brake is not required in this app. Yes I do have the correct procedure for crank relearn. For this engine and trans HPT is more than enough to do this and when going thru the procedure it tells you what you have to do.

Senior Tuner
    Shouldn’t be a problem then.

Tuner in Training

yeh that's the procedure I use. When it's preformed the first time it gets to the end and says relearn failed. Then for the next 8 times after rev up it says must be in park or neutral with engine running. Then when I try it over and over after that message it goes right back to the start. If I disconnect the battery for 10 or 15min. it starts the same process again were it says relearn failed and then must be in park or neutral with engine running. It won't go past this and now I have done the process to many times, something is preventing it from going all the way thru. The really sad thing is I haven't done anything to set P0315 it just happened.

Senior Tuner
    Maybe it's not the procedure, maybe there is something wrong that made it trip the code to start with.

I have gone over the engine so many times I think I will just leave it alone and drive it as is. The reason I started this was that when cold it will not take any throttle at all. It has to warm up to at least 140* before it can be driven. Once hot it runs fine.

Well I don't know why but this afternoon I went out to try to do another crank relearn, somehow it corrected itself. The DTC for crank relearn was gone and it runs just a little different. I will continue to drive as is for awhile and see what happens.
    It still won't run till it gets warmed up but it seems better in that aspect.
    Thanks to everyone for the comebacks.
    Last edited by carotene; 11-23-2022 at 04:56 PM.