Thread: HPT 2.1.16 & Windows Vista

Tuner

HPT 2.1.16 & Windows Vista

Does anyone have a problem installing it? I got a weird error upon installing it. The programw as looking for a .dll file. I've never heard whether you can or cannot install HPT on a Windows Vista computer. I will try to post the error message in a few minutes.

If all else fails, I will use my 2.1.14 disc for the install.

-Mike

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    hopefully I'll be trying over the next few days...i thought vista doesnt get released for another 12 or so hours?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    i thought vista doesnt get released for another 12 or so hours?

And? lol

Tons of builds of what was originally longhorn, have been available for download in 'the underground' since 2003.

Well, next week everyone will be cruising to walmart and office depot looking on the backs of the vista PC's to get the key

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky
    Does anyone have a problem installing it? I got a weird error upon installing it. The programw as looking for a .dll file. I've never heard whether you can or cannot install HPT on a Windows Vista computer. I will try to post the error message in a few minutes.

If all else fails, I will use my 2.1.14 disc for the install.

-Mike

but yeah, can you run the installer in compatibility mode(for XP)? Is the system a dualboot? If it is, you can just copy over the whole directory from XP and past it in your vista somewhere(preferably back in /program files/HPTuners/VCM Suite 2) Then create your 2 shortcuts to the editor/scanner manually. If the compatibility mode fails, this is the way to go.(if you're dual booting)

Tuner
    Well, that didn't work. The install of it in compatablity mode. I will try my CD tonight and post results.

-Mike

Tuner
    Hi guys,

I was able to fix the issue. Here is the problem. Vista doesn't contain the .dll it needs to work with Microsoft .NET framework & Licensing w/HPT, be sure to backup msvcr71.dll from the C:\Windows\System32 directory from your old Windows load with HPT installed on it.

Once the file has been copied to the System32 directory (Vista Load) you should be able to get into HPT fine after you load Windows Vista fresh on your computer with that DLL in the system32 directory.

Remember, Make a copy of that DLL file before formatting your computer. Otherwise your in a heap of trouble later This applies for new install of Vista or Upgrade. Most people will be doing New fresh load so its best to back up ASAP the file. .NET does not install it back on the system for you nor does Vista.

-Mike

P.S It happened to my friends computer so it will happen to you too. Hope this helps if you upgrade.

Here was the original error I was getting as reference.

Ah Togetherness (Serial and app key remove for obvious reasons)

Last edited by sneaky; 01-29-2007 at 05:49 PM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    hopefully I'll be trying over the next few days...i thought vista doesnt get released for another 12 or so hours?
    I tried out the beta some months ago, I am sticking with XP 64 bit... I see the USB drivers being an issue.
    2005 LS6 CTS-V
    2010 LP9 SRX AWD 2.8T
    SOLD: 2006 Cadillac SRX AWD V6 A5
    SOLD: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC Arrival Blue

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by zinner
    I tried out the beta some months ago, I am sticking with XP 64 bit
    FYI, the USB support seems 10x better then XP since the install w/Vista

-Mike

I posted that file a ways back.

Here'
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ighlight=vista
    Last edited by TurboTBSS; 02-15-2007 at 09:36 PM.
    Gen3 Hemi Tuning
    FAST, Holley, AEM, DiabloSport, Mopar Performance
    Resto-mod EFI Conversions and Support

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTBSS
    I posted that file a ways back.

Here'
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ighlight=vista
    oh well. Now there is two forms of documentation that shows how to fix.

Tuner in Training
    I have the retail "Ultimate" edition of Vista on my notebook and the software installed without any errors, runs fine, and my USB connection for my MPVI loaded the drivers off of the CD automatically and without errors.

The install went the same as it did on my XP Laptop, no problems, no tricks.
    1988 Mazda RX7 TII - Forged 347" LS1/2004r/3600 stall/Stage III Heads/Cheatr Cam/Precision 76GTS/E85/HP Tuners 3 BAR OS

Tuner in Training
    mine worked right out of the box i had no problems with it