Thread: e39 V6 ecu swap

Potential Tuner

e39 V6 ecu swap

i have a 2011 cadillac srx with a 3.0 v6 needs a new ecm, i installed a new ecm with the understanding hptuners can program it, was able to wirite the vin and everything but i cant program the key to the new computer. any suggestions? tried the 30 minute key relearn and vats disable

Senior Tuner
    HPT can't completely write a new ECM. Needs to be done with dealer tools or clone.

I think the SPS2 is the correct one.
    https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    HPT can't completely write a new ECM. Needs to be done with dealer tools or clone.

I think the SPS2 is the correct one.
    https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions
    do i have to buy anything else or just the one vehicle programming?

Senior Tuner
    For a key reprogram just go to a Cadillac dealer.

That acdelco stuff is subscription-based and requires additional hardware and software packages. It's not worth it.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    For a key reprogram just go to a Cadillac dealer.

That acdelco stuff is subscription-based and requires additional hardware and software packages. It's not worth it.
    gtstorey is correct. To properly set up a new ECM, you need SPS2, which you can get a single VIN license for, for $40. BUT, you also need a J2534 compliant device, of which none of the MPVIs are.

You can get a low cost J2534 device from DashLogic (DashBridge CX). That's the lowest cost one I know of.

Unfortunately, this ECM may not be trainable, though, because it was programmed outside of SPS2. Once the ECM's MEC goes to zero, which typically happens after the VIN is written, it cannot have the immobilizer learned to it, so OP may need to buy another new ECM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    Unfortunately, this ECM may not be trainable, though, because it was programmed outside of SPS2. Once the ECM's MEC goes to zero, which typically happens after the VIN is written, it cannot have the immobilizer learned to it, so OP may need to buy another new ECM.
    That's not correct. You can set MEC to any value when controller is unlocked or Vulnerability flag is set in the calibration. But it not the case.
    Immobilizer learn with E39 and other Global A ECMs requires 4-digit Security Code (not Security Key) which is associated with VIN. Used ECM has different Security Code and SPS2 can't change it. You have to change it to the right one manually and only then use SPS2 to do Immo Relearn.

How to change Security Code you can find here:
    https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7588

How to obtain old and new Security Codes is up to you.
    2011 Cadillac Escalade L94 w/LS3 valves and valve springs

Advanced Tuner
    No, actually that's incorrect. Lol. This handler for writing the MEC in an E39A clearly checks to see if the MEC is zero, first, and if it is, it skips over writing it.

In your defense, however, other ECUs will allow MEC to be changed by simply satisfying security, but not this one.

Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 6.53.29 AM.png

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    No, actually that's incorrect. Lol. This handler for writing the MEC in an E39A clearly checks to see if the MEC is zero, first, and if it is, it skips over writing it.

In your defense, however, other ECUs will allow MEC to be changed by simply satisfying security, but not this one.
    Yes, you were right about writing MEC in E39. But for a man with your abilities it will be matter of minutes to "correct this flaw"
    Nice to meet someone with this skill

However, as I said, MEC is not the case in Immo Relearn.
    2011 Cadillac Escalade L94 w/LS3 valves and valve springs