Thread: 2004.5 LLY Chevy Kodiak issue

Potential Tuner

2004.5 LLY Chevy Kodiak issue

I am helping a friend get his work truck back up and running.

The truck starts and runs, then the low coolant light and the engine goes into shutdown.

Here is an example of this

https://www.dieselplace.com/threads/...t-down.423852/

What I am looking for, and not seeing in the tune is a way to turn this 'shutdown' feature off. I understand it to be exclusive to the meduim duty trucks and that a standard HD pickup will not shut down with the low coolant light.

I have tried a paperclip in the sensor plug but with no luck, truck keeps shutting off. No codes, but it only runs for about 3 mins.

Any insight from those much more versed in the diesel world than I am????

Thanks!

-jason

Potential Tuner
    well a small update - I read an old thread on a duramax forum that the actual instrument cluster could be causing the truck to shutdown. Since half the gauges don't work I had my buddy pull his cluster and it ran for 15 mins then it shut down and would not restart. Had to reprime the fuel filter, so there maybe something else going on.

Downside is with the cluster pulled, we can't tell if the computer is shutting down or if the seal on the plunger is bad and its sucking air and shutting off.

Pumping the plunger takes long enough that the computer can reset. So we are doing the right thing and throwing a lift pump on it and deleting the problematic fuel filter housing.