Thread: 2016 impala 3.6 vvt tuning

Advanced Tuner

2016 impala 3.6 vvt tuning

I am interested in doing some vvt tuning on my 2016 impala. The exhaust tables look similar to what would be in a v8 but it looks like the intake camshaft is backwards? Are higher numbers more advance on the intake side? I am trying to get rid of some low speed camshaft retard. I have made some changes to the exhaust cam tables but im not sure where to start with the intake.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Intake and exhaust cams phase in opposite directions, and in the parked position (0* each), there is minimum overlap. Hence, when the exhaust cam is at 0*, it's fully advanced (as is the case in the V8, as you pointed out), and when the intake cam is at 0*, it's fully retarded.

It is very unlikely your vehicle will benefit from any vvt tuning unless you have extensive modifications to it. You will need a precise way to measure whether you're achieving the desired result. In the case of all out power, you will need a dyno or some other performance measuring method to determine whether your changes are having a positive or negative impact.

Good luck!

Advanced Tuner
    I appreciate the feedback. I did have some success setting the intake cam to 8* advanced in the 1400-2400ish range at low load. My last edit I tried to get rid of some exhaust retard to get rid of low speed overlap and it seemed to kill power but also it did help the power band become smoother in that area. Not sure why this engine likes more overlap in low speeds.

Senior Tuner
    Low piston speeds, so scavenging has a greater effect.