Thread: 2008 Truck with a Gen3 5.3?

Advanced Tuner

2008 Truck with a Gen3 5.3?

I have a customer that got screwed by the guy he bought this truck from, and is in a mess. It's an 08 Silverado with a 99-06 5.3L engine in it, and is currently INOP.

I know that the E38 cannot control the 24x reluctor.

What my customer searched online was buying a standalone harness, and a P59 PCM.....and wiring it into the truck to use the engine that is existing.

I have suggested buying another Gen4 engine, but he seems set on doing it with the current one.

Will this disaster work? Will it control all the gauges? How screwed is trying this?

Advanced Tuner
    Correct way, pull the motor, swap crank reluctors, put a Gen IV timing cover and cam reluctor setup so it's actually a 58x/4x motor and will work natively with the E38 in the 08 truck.

Cheap way, use the LPE converter box: https://www.lingenfelter.com/product/L460065397.html
    I don't know the reliability/durability of them, know they've been around for a while now. I haven't heard or, or looked for, alternate manufactures for this type of thing.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Advanced Tuner
    That LPE box works the opposite way you're thinking. That's for putting a Gen4 engine into an Gen3 vehicle and controlling the 58x using the older PCM

Advanced Tuner
    Maybe a non-GTO E40 will work? Cost of that vs. just changing the physical parts though...no idea.

Advanced Tuner
    I would never willingly put an E40 in anything
    Last edited by village_idiot; 11-22-2022 at 08:44 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Interesting.

Senior Tuner
    I wouldn't take the job. Either swap the motor over to 58x stuff.. swap the motor.. or customer should find another shop.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    Alvin Im thinking the same thing. He needs to buy a proper engine, or come pick the truck up

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
    That LPE box works the opposite way you're thinking. That's for putting a Gen4 engine into an Gen3 vehicle and controlling the 58x using the older PCM
    DOH! Yea you're right, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by eXo3901 View Post
    Maybe a non-GTO E40 will work? Cost of that vs. just changing the physical parts though...no idea.
    No, just asking for more headaches putting an E40 into a platform (Silverado) that never used it in any generation. Went straight from P59 -> E38.

Quote Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
    I would never willingly put an E40 in anything
    100% agree with you on this.

Tell him to do it right or get it out of your shop, it's taking up space physically and mentally for you.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned