Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Turbo 2020 F150 - Won't Hold Idle After Crank

  1. #1

    Turbo 2020 F150 - Won't Hold Idle After Crank

    After a good bit of time messing with different cars and F150's, I finally had a buddy ask me to help him out with his 2020 F150 and I am already running into isses with just getting the truck to stay running after cranking

    ID1700 Injectors, single turbo, E85, and he swapped the truck intake out for a 2018 mustang intake manifold.

    I tried playing around with the cranking fuel mass and cold start fueling, speed density tables for the mapped points activated on startup, as well as triple checking my injector data, and it only got a slightly longer hold before it stumbled out again and died. Attached is the most recent log and file.

    22-11-22 21-37-54.hpl

    Tune 5.hpt

  2. #2
    Senior Tuner
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    2,006
    Based on E85 and injectors I'm assuming you have a return style fuel system with a regulator either at a set pressure or 1:1 refferenced.

    Under fuel system>fuel pump
    Set the desired table and max to 18V.
    min and max DC should both be 49%.
    Disable the adaptive voltage.

    You need to disable the ECUs voltage regulation on the pump so it runs at full flow and the regulator is what controls the pressue in the rail. Left stock the regulator and voltage control are probably fighting and the fuel pressure just isn't being held at the proper number.

    Because its actually got a fuel pressure sensor its targeting actual pressure to desired pressure not inffered like older systems. You will also need to set the PFI demand pressue to your regulator base pressure. it should be openloop fuel pressure control by the regulator now, you can't give the ecu control over the regulator, but you can make it think it has control. you might find it benefical to have the demand value higher than the regulator just to make sure the ecu keeps the pump voltage high.
    Probably can add fuel pressure to your scanner instead of fuel flow to monitor how well your regulator is doing.
    Last edited by murfie; 1 Week Ago at 03:05 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Tuner veeefour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallTownRacing View Post
    After a good bit of time messing with different cars and F150's, I finally had a buddy ask me to help him out with his 2020 F150 and I am already running into isses with just getting the truck to stay running after cranking

    ID1700 Injectors, single turbo, E85, and he swapped the truck intake out for a 2018 mustang intake manifold.

    I tried playing around with the cranking fuel mass and cold start fueling, speed density tables for the mapped points activated on startup, as well as triple checking my injector data, and it only got a slightly longer hold before it stumbled out again and died. Attached is the most recent log and file.

    22-11-22 21-37-54.hpl

    Tune 5.hpt
    You run turbo with stock 1 bar MAP sensor?

    You run 2018 mani with disabled IMRC yet still using all MP's hence its working like shit.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    Based on E85 and injectors I'm assuming you have a return style fuel system with a regulator either at a set pressure or 1:1 refferenced.

    Under fuel system>fuel pump
    Set the desired table and max to 18V.
    min and max DC should both be 49%.
    Disable the adaptive voltage.

    You need to disable the ECUs voltage regulation on the pump so it runs at full flow and the regulator is what controls the pressue in the rail. Left stock the regulator and voltage control are probably fighting and the fuel pressure just isn't being held at the proper number.

    Because its actually got a fuel pressure sensor its targeting actual pressure to desired pressure not inffered like older systems. You will also need to set the PFI demand pressue to your regulator base pressure. it should be openloop fuel pressure control by the regulator now, you can't give the ecu control over the regulator, but you can make it think it has control. you might find it benefical to have the demand value higher than the regulator just to make sure the ecu keeps the pump voltage high.
    Probably can add fuel pressure to your scanner instead of fuel flow to monitor how well your regulator is doing.
    I made those changes to the tune, going to try them out here in a little while to verify. I'll also add that fuel pressure PID like you had suggested. I'm going to try locking to a single mapped point like I think veeefour is alluding to in his response. I got the truck to idle last night with a few changes, but its still pretty rough. I'll post back up with my findings!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    You run turbo with stock 1 bar MAP sensor?

    You run 2018 mani with disabled IMRC yet still using all MP's hence its working like shit.
    Actually dug a little more into the car after the initial post to find that they never added a MAP sensor back into the system so there isn't a map sensor at all. I turned it off in the tune and messed around with the SD table for MP 14 and got it to idle. Likely was the issue the entire time. I'm going to try to lock the tune to a single mapped point and work off of that one for the time being

  6. #6
    Senior Tuner veeefour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    1,238
    You turned off the BARO not the MAP - if no MAP sensor is fitted it will run 100% SD. Now your IMRC is removed an it tries ti utilize MP's 0-14
    that were never designed to work with open intake runner flaps. This means your SD is also not correct ergo it runs like shit.

    Not sure what crazy idea is to ditch the MAP sensor in a boosted car that had a MAP sensor from factory...ok but how you are going to fix SD now?