Thread: readiness monitors equinox

Potential Tuner

readiness monitors equinox

I have a 2010 chevy equinox and im trying to complete the readiness monitors. This vehicle is for offroad use only AND I dont have federal emissions testing in my county anyways. Maybe someone can help explain how to get the monitors complete. Ive done it through programming before. But, there are several options on this cal for turning off DTCs. Not as simple as just set the DTCs to no reporting. Thanks for any help. Feel free to pm me or whatever.

Advanced Tuner
    If you've removed or modified any of the vehicle parts, then the associated readiness monitors will never set, regardless of what the DTC setting is. That's because a series of self tests have to be able to run and complete, and obviously they cannot if the parts are missing or otherwise do not function at the OE specification.

But, if it's "off-road use only" vehicle and you don't have "federal emissions testing" in your county, why do you even care about the readiness monitors?

Potential Tuner
    [QUOTE=tunerpro;707910]If you've removed or modified any of the vehicle parts, then the associated readiness monitors will never set, regardless of what the DTC setting is. That's because a series of self tests have to be able to run and complete, and obviously they cannot if the parts are missing or otherwise do not function at the OE specification.

But, if it's "off-road use only" vehicle and you don't have "federal emissions testing" in your county, why do you even care about the readiness monitors? [/Q

Well, Because Ive been doing this for a long time. I should have the right to edit all aspects of the calibration, regardless. Its my choice IF I want to make ANY changes. The current post on the first page clearly states that HP tuners has removed certain features from its latest releases of VCM editor. When a guy cant run open loop and/or have headers w/o throwing a dtc....thats wrong. Im sure yall at tunerpro are not removing features, but trying to add new ones. Guess ill have to try and find an older version of VCM suite or switch to efi live. Its just sad that HPtuners becomes less capable as newer versions are released. Thats junk and bad business. They are not even based in the united states. The end user is the ONE responsible for law compliance. Whats next? Let me guess......HP tuners removes the ability to edit the top speed limiter? Why whouldnt they.

According to your line of thinking..... ALL united states highways are legally restricted to a maximum top speed for passenger vehicles. Why would someone want to remove their top speed limiter via software? To potentially break the law? Well I'm HP tuners, So we are going to remove that feature too. God forbid, someone in the US uses HP tuners to remove the top speed limiter, gets into a crash....and holds HP tuners liable. Worse yet, many people has the same thing occur.......boom..class action lawsuit. I can give many more examples of how HP could become scared of liable, due to calibration edits. Might as well turn HP tuners into a ball cutting, useless handheld programmer. Sickening...

Btw, its nice to see tunerpro on the forum...alive and well. Ive been tuning since the days of thirdgen.org. I was close with Glen and Bruce. Before Craig was selling anything. Nice to see him grow and evolve into the business he has now. Ive been with John (from tunercat) from the beginning. Been with HP tuners since the beginning. The late 90's/early 2000's was a magical time for tuning/programming.

Advanced Tuner
    tunerpro is my handle on this forum, no relation to the software.

Unfortunately, whether anybody likes it or not, the law is the law. The Clean Air Act (CAA), enforced by the EPA, prohibits people in the US from tampering with emissions control devices on their vehicles. This includes modifying ANY aspect of the calibration, UNLESS it's been established such modifications do not increase emissions. California Air Resource Board, which has jurisdiction in California, and presumably the 18 or so other states that have chosen to adopt California's emission laws requires that certain modifications to any vehicle (which includes calibration changes) obtain a CARB exemption order (EO) number signifying that the effects of the modification do not increase emissions. The test results required to obtain a CARB EO are considered to be sufficient evidence, as far as the Clean Air Act goes, that a modification does not increase emissions, making it "49 state legal", although the actual number is less than 49 because of the states that have chosen to adopt California's law.

The short of it is if you modify your vehicle, and you want to comply with the law, you need to get a CARB EO for those modifications. If you don't comply with the law, you can be fined nearly $5000 per instance by EPA, and if it happens in a state that observes California's law, you can get hit with another fine of the same amount by CARB.

While in some cases, the enforcement arm of these agencies has been applying pressure to companies that enable these sorts of modifications, others are simply being proactive. Considering there is never a situation where CARB would issue an EO for any product that disables, say, catalytic converter diagnostic codes or readiness monitors, why allow users of your products to do so?

If you don't like it, write your own calibration editing software.