Thread: 07 2.2 ion OS swap

Tuner in Training

07 2.2 ion OS swap

Hey guys. I'm trying to get my new to me Saturn working good and need to reflash the ecm. I isolated the backstory below for those who are looking for a quicker read.

QUESTION: I need to reflash my auto ECM with the OS of a manual ECM to get my speedo working again and hopefully eliminate my PWR STR message. I found a download in the repository for a 2007 cobalt with 2.2l and manual transmission. essentially the same car. I looks like i have to license that file in order to "write entire" it onto my already licensed ecm. I dont know if it will play nicely with my bcm though. So im looking for help/advice. should I give this downloaded stock tune a try or am i better off getting my ecm reflashed at the dealer. bonus question, if i do get it reflashed at the dealer would i have to relicense the same ecm due to the new flash? (im guessing yes)

BACKSTORY: I bought it not running. The underhood fusebox had been burnt up, connectors were cutoff, and replacement connectors from the junkyard were being attached wire by wire when the previous owner gave up on it. I bought it for $850 and sorted out all of the wiring. I'm an avionics technician and specialize in custom new installations and scratch building harnesses, which is why I was interested in the car. The previous owner had bought a new ecm for it already because the original had a large GND pin completely burnt off. The new ecm is for a 2007 saturn ION coupe with an automatic transmission. Mine is a sedan with a manual transmission. I was able to use VCM editor to change the vin in the replacement ecm and relearn the security system so now the car drives. However the speedo does not work. Reason: A/T ECM expects the speed sensor to be wired to the TCM, which i dont have. M/T configurations have the speed sensor wired directly to the ECM. It also has a PWR STR message on the instrument cluster which i believe to be caused by the misconfiguration of the ecm and the vehicle.

Thanks for reading!
    Jeff
    2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE/T

2001 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew

Advanced Tuner
    So im looking for help/advice. should I give this downloaded stock tune a try or am i better off getting my ecm reflashed at the dealer. bonus question, if i do get it reflashed at the dealer would i have to relicense the same ecm due to the new flash? (im guessing yes)
    Have the dealer do it. The chances of the Cobalt flash working are almost zero. There's more that's different between the Saturn Ion and the Cobalt than similar.