Thread: rpm fluctuating at steady throttle? e67 saab 9-7x

Potential Tuner

rpm fluctuating at steady throttle? e67 saab 9-7x

Hey.

I've recently gotten a mail order tune done along with a couple revisions on my 6.0/4l80e swapped 2007 saab 9-7x. I'm having an issue that I'm hoping someone here can help with. If I'm driving in any gear not heavy on the throttle and hold a steady pedal I can see and feel a slight surge in engine rpms. it's no more than 100 to 200rpms but its extremely annoying it is tuned in sd

2007 saab 9-7x
    gen 4 6.0
    823 heads
    wiseco domed pistons 11.3 c/r
    ly6 intake
    4 inch intake tube with ls7 maf
    btr stage 2 ls3 cam
    longtubes
    ported factory throttle body
    4l80e with pcmofnc harness
    circle d 3200 stall

22-11-23 20-03-06.hpl

10.3.22.hpt
    Last edited by gumby5ohh; 11-25-2022 at 12:34 AM.

Could very well be something in the tune, but I had a similar steady part-throttle flutter that was caused by the throttle body. The middle gear in the TB had some slop on its axle, boring/sleeving that gear back to zero clearance fixed the flutter. I did that just because it was my own truck and I was curious and had the tools to do it (and also hate throwing things away), but a new TB is only around $100.

Take the TB off, pop off the side cover, see if there's slack in that big middle gear (wiggle it clockwise/counterclockwise).

Potential Tuner
    Pulled the throttle body and found what I'd say is alot of slop in the gear

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Could very well be something in the tune, but I had a similar steady part-throttle flutter that was caused by the throttle body. The middle gear in the TB had some slop on its axle, boring/sleeving that gear back to zero clearance fixed the flutter. I did that just because it was my own truck and I was curious and had the tools to do it (and also hate throwing things away), but a new TB is only around $100.

Take the TB off, pop off the side cover, see if there's slack in that big middle gear (wiggle it clockwise/counterclockwise).
    I found quite a bit of play in the center gear. I got a really good deal on a 09 tbss oem throttle body and I may grab it. Would anything in my tune need to be changed to run it reliably?

2009 is a different part number. You need '08-down.

Potential Tuner
    2009 is a different part number. You need '08-down.
    I put a brand new Hitachi throttle body on the truck and it's still having the rpm flutters when trying keep a steady rpm. Would you have any ideas on where to start looking tune wise?

Quote Originally Posted by gumby5ohh View Post
    4 inch intake tube with ls7 maf
    Any kind of air straightener in there? The MAF sure is noisy, moving around when none of the other PIDs are changing at all.

Oh, it's in SD...

Don't log any MAF channels when it's supposed to be failed!

Does it still happen when not connected/not logging? Does it do it in MAF-only?

Potential Tuner
    Oh, it's in SD...

Don't log any MAF channels when it's supposed to be failed!

Does it still happen when not connected/not logging? Does it do it in MAF-only?
    It still happens when not logging sir. It has not been ran in maf only due to the tuner tuning it in sd. I will take the maf off of future datalogs.

10.3.22 - cat & post O2.hpt
    screenshot.01-12-2022 21.29.45.png

I haven't seen the cat/post O2 tests give this type of symptom, but they need to be off anyway. I assume you're on one of the newer editor versions that no longer have that tab.

Tuner
    It's a trans related problem. I see surging only when TCC is applied.
    Why TCC Slip == Engine RPM? Where is ISS?

tcc.png

Looks like you have low Steady State Line Pressure condition. May be incorrect Torque Model.

Make a new log with:
    ISS
    Line pressure
    2011 Cadillac Escalade L94 w/LS3 valves and valve springs

Senior Tuner
    It very well could be related to the ported throttle body. I see far more issues with them than any bit of benefit. The throat/ramp is designed a certain way to give fine control to the throttle control. People see it as a flow restriction and just hog it out. I've also had plenty of TPS sensor slop issues. Only on aftermarket throttle bodies though.

If not that I'll bet its a O2 swing issue. The proportional and integral terms can be adjusted for long tubes so that there isn't a over swing in fueling.

You can test this by forcing open loop with the scanner and see if this takes care of it.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    I would switch it to MAF only just as a quick test. Just keep an eye on your AFR as I'm assuming your MAF curve has not been touched. Fuel Trims should correct enough at light cruise just for a test though.