Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LE5 Crank sensor check

Tuner in Training

LE5 Crank sensor check

Trying to find out why no spark or fuel, on checking the ck sensor with a multi meter Iam getting 5vts on the main wire and signal wire, when I crank the motor the signal wire drops to 2.0 2.3 about half is this about right? or am i getting ready to look for a short in the wiring Ive got the I3 suite but still tryin to figure out how to use it to help diagnose my problem and vats are deleted,

this problem had me miss thanksgiving at the dunes dont wanna miss New Years too

Advanced Tuner
    Are you able to successfully perform the crank position sensor relearn in the scanner?
    Also, did you recently do any work on the cams or timing chain? If those are off by a tiny amount the LE5 will usually fail to initiate fuel and ignition at startup.
    As for the voltage question, sorry I do not know the answer off-hand.

Tuner in Training
    nope I didnt see a sensor relearn in the scanner but Ill sure find it if its there and no havent messed with the cams at all. iam kinda leaning towards something in the stand alone harness, I got ahold of another e-37 and it didnt do anything either the motor ran great when we took it out, sent the harness in to get trimmed down for stand alone along with the ecm got it back and thats when it all headed south got nuthing now. Do you guys have a harness for an e-37 2.4 ecotec? Gonna go look for that cps relearn in the scanner it seems like the cps isnt working atleast all the symptoms are the same

Tuner in Training
    well I got it running, not well but I believe its running to lean, when i start it, it will run for a couple of seconds then it dies as soon as I touch the throttle I have gotten past that a couple times to where it stayed running but that was without the maf plugged in. Iam new to hp tuners and dont have a clue how to richen it up a little no vacuum leaks fixed all those but am getting 0016 nd 17 codes or atleast I was on the last scan they diidnt show up. what I need is a mentor to show me what I need to do, so if there are any tuners in phoenix that want to make some money and free BEER it would sure help me out on learning of the art tuning

Senior Tuner
    This doesn't sound like "tuning" problem.

I guess this is a swap vehicle?

Tuner in Training
    no its in a sand car, so yea i guess its in a swap vehicle
    iam getting my constant 12 vlts to the ecm everything works fine fuel pump, fan, got a question for ya thou my commanded TPS ACTIVATED CONTROL is24.7 pos B is 30.1 pos d 23.1 and pos e is 11.3 does that sound right?

Senior Tuner
    No clue about the TPS Activated Control

As always start with posting a tune and a log.

What is the ECM out of?

My suggestion is to start with the wiring diagrams for the car this was pulled from and check on everything that might need to be connected to the ECM.

Tuner in Training
    checked wiring alls good when it start if i squirt starting fluid in it stays running, I pulled the injectors out and they are squirting like supposed too, so you think iam runnin too lean? do I need to add fuel to the tune? this is the first time running with a s/c on it, I got 40 lbs injectors
    Last edited by Dunefaber; 02-05-2023 at 12:57 PM. Reason: needed to add to it

Senior Tuner
    Post a tune and log.

And all the details of the engine. Including part numbers for map and injectors.
    Last edited by gtstorey; 02-05-2023 at 08:43 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I gotta have it running first to create a log and I dont know how to post a tune or anything on here. as far as the part numbers go they are stock gm MAF from zzp and a 2.5 bar map sensor mounted on the intake Ill send the tu3 e 67 buggy loaded.hptne as soon as i figure out the down loading problem iam haveing

Senior Tuner
    You can log an attempted start even if it never actually runs. Even Key on Engine Off may help some.
    To be clear you pulled a motor from a running car and then added a supercharger without ever getting it running in its new home? You probably are going to wish you had gotten it running in stock configuration first and then modified. A lot going on that could be wrong.

Tuner in Training
    are you able to get my tune to work its up above its 3 e 67buggy loaded.hpt I know now about the swap, but i didnt think it would be that bad to get it going. Iam just about ready to throw this dam eco in the trash with all the headaches I,ve gotten from this thing. been so use to old school 68 yrs old and tryin to tune with a computer not gonna be fun or easy lol. If I could find someone to come over and talk me thru this it would make it a hell of alot easier ,awe but I know of no tuners to ask for help, so you guys are gonna have to bear with me. Once I get it running good enough I can get t to the dyno and hopefully get it straightened out but i dont know

Senior Tuner
    It will probably be this weekend before I have a chance to set down and compare. And I'm probably not experienced enough to spot the problem.

You can go here to look at some other supercharged LE5 tunes here.
    https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php...g-thread.3708/

Tuner in Training
    here if my tune
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    had a few minutes to compare. It looks like your map sensor data is incorrect but need a part # to confirm. If LSJ map sensor then linear is 270.59 offset is -3.3

How did you arrive at the injector data?

There are things changed from the "stock" that I'm not sure why they would be changed. I would set it back to stock unless you knew why you were changing it. For example the tach output type changed to crank.

Beyond, this I'm not much help.

Senior Tuner
    And did you change the diameter of the intake tube where the maf is mounted?

Tuner in Training
    hey stick with me now, your the only person that seems like the want to help right now. as fsr as the map # its bosch 0 261230042. the intake tube is 3" same as the throttle body and 7.5" plus a 90* elbow to center of the maf. I got the map #s and the injector data was given to me by someone on the cobalt forum.

Senior Tuner
    That map number corresponds to the LSJ that I gave numbers for above according to this post.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post400484

Do you know the original size of the factory intake tube where the MAF is mounted? 3" sounds about right but the tube could be different in that area. If so it would change the maf calibration.

Was the injector data given for a particular part number or based only upon "40lb injectors". Still need to check the part number. Where did you source the injectors?

Still need to post whatever log you can get with as much of the ignition, fueling and sensor data that you can get. This will also show any DTCs to help trouble shoot.

Tuner in Training
    here is the tune AFI who i got the e-67 computer and wiring harness from, Iwas specific about what was on the motor as far as the map and injectors goes and my header I talked to their tuner and we made sure we were on the same page

e-67 efi.hpt

Tuner in Training
    I got the injectors from ZZP they are the green ones bosch injectors42# SPECIFICATIONS:
    COIL RESISTANCE: 12 OHMS HIGH IMPEDANCE
    SPRAY PATTERN: DUAL SPRAY WIDE CONE / SPLIT CONE
    ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR: EV1
    FITTED WITH VITON UPPER AND LOWER O-RINGS.
    STATIC FLOW RATE @ 43.5PSI (300KPA): 43 LB/HR