Thread: new build, little to no power

new build, little to no power

completely fresh gen 4 5.3L, 243 heads, ss2, longtubes, full 3" duals x pipe. put a 4l80e behind it. first off wow, the 4l80e is waay different than 60e when it comes to gear ratios! rite now im using 3.73s with 34.5" tires. blucat trans done. at moment using the tune from my 6l with same heads and cam in same truck but it had a 60e, did segment swap and adjusted cylinder volume, fired rit up runs well just feels like no power at all till 3k rpms. u cant tell if its trans or just poor tune on engine doing it. the 6l would eat the tires in 4hi past 45mph ( yes the 60 made the ultimate sacrifice in a few months, but i knew that going in) . the lil 5.3 wont turn a tire on wet concrete. there is only 80 miles on engine so far so im not beating on it just very noticable. im not sure if did the gear?tire wizard AFTER i did the bluecat tables either tho. i went back and revised a bit changing bluecat numbers saved but didnt flash yet. anyone have the time to take a look and see if they spot the issue rite off? i will be soon letting a member here who did the tune on my 6l do this one for me but id like to learn more myself, cant get better if i just let other ppl do it.

Attachment 126188

Attachment 126189

\the first is current tune, second i havent flashed but made changes i havent before in BC and went thru trying to turn all tq mgmnt off. the 80e should handle a lil cammed 5.3 shouldnt it?

Tuner in Training
    Try that. Nothing super aggressive.

2008 Silverado 53L 4l80e bc 2 mybe k_FORUM_MODIFIED.hpt

Senior Tuner
    A log might help. It could be something really simple.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

current tune and log

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    A log might help. It could be something really simple.
    i did a bit more tweaking, added a little timing and went thru and thin i disabled all the TM on trans and took off the spark limits i think also. i dont think a 4l80e needs any TM to handle a lil cammed 5.3 does it? ive come to the conclusion its the converter killing all the power. a stock converter is supposed to be 2600 stall, cant verify tho as this was an "upgraded" converter when my buddy bought the trans a year ago and he doesnt remember. when i say no power i guess im just noticing the big heavy converter, the shorter 1st of the 80e, and the lack of grunt from the 5.3. this truck had a 6l and a 60e before this so thats all i have to compare to.

Attachment 126288
    Attachment 126289
    Last edited by ehall8702; 11-28-2022 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
    what did u change? havent looked yet but have since made sum changes after this tune u modified. appreciate the time, will look everything over and maybe give it a test run,

Senior Tuner
    I don't see anything unusual.

I'll bet the difference is in the gearing, torque converter, etc.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    I don't see anything unusual.

I'll bet the difference is in the gearing, torque converter, etc.
    im sure it is, guy who tuned my last setup ( same truck but 6l and 60e) said everything looks good and turned all the TM off . still no go. gears are next so hopefully th 4.88s help ALOT. unimpressed with a 80e but hopefully last trans for this truck tired of eating 60es! will figure out proper converter for this thing down the road, atleast a bright note is, i wont have to change tires as fast..trucks not slow but not fast fast

Advanced Tuner
    The right converter makes a world of difference with the 4l80. Also matching gear/tire size helps a bunch.