Thread: New to this - Unlicensed Vehicle Error

Tuner in Training

New to this - Unlicensed Vehicle Error

Hi,

Bought an ECU with my vin in it. Trying to upload a tune but I get this error. I'm not sure if it's something in the ECU, or has to do with HP Tuner licensing

I'm looking at the tune off the new ecu vs the tune that needs to be uploaded and the seriels don't match. I'm thinking that could be it. Does that mean the seriel needs to be changed on the ECU? or am I going the wrong route on that

If anyone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TheOneAndOnly; 11-27-2022 at 10:45 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Or wait,

I think this is my problem, how to I transfer this over to the new device?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneAndOnly View Post
    Or wait,

I think this is my problem, how to I transfer this over to the new device?
    You purchase 2 more credits. You don't have a license for the new ECM you purchased. And I wouldn't suggest writing a file to any ECM that wasn't based on what was read out of that ECM.
    Last edited by 2xLS1; 11-27-2022 at 05:21 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    You purchase 2 more credits. You don't have a license for the new ECM you purchased. And I wouldn't suggest writing a file to any ECM that wasn't based on what was read out of that ECM.
    why 2 more universal credits?

Senior Tuner
    To license the ECM you bought that you don't have a license for.

Tuner in Training
    I bought universal credits for the device I want to use, however I think it might be tied to the RTD tool I used to pull it off. So I think the tune needs to be transfered somehow to the new device and license

Can't transfer the license to a different device, the license is tied to whatever device the license had it first. If your MPVI wasn't the one that did that, then you have to buy the license again for yours.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Can't transfer the license to a different device, the license is tied to whatever device the license had it first. If your MPVI wasn't the one that did that, then you have to buy the license again for yours.

Lets simplify what you are saying in specifics

I scanned the tune with a RTD, the License to the downloaded tune is for an RTD

I bought a MPVI3,

I bought a Universal License for the MPVI3

So, I need to?

Buy a license for the RTD? that is where I'm getting confused

Actually, I think some of them were scanned by the same mpv3i from one ecu and need to be put on another ecu
    Last edited by TheOneAndOnly; 11-28-2022 at 12:50 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    even if you buy a new license, you still have to transfer it to the new scanner correct?

Tuner in Training
    ok, so I see what is going on a little
    this tells me how many credits I need for what car
    https://www.hptuners.com/vehicles/gm-tuning/

But I'm still confused. are these locked to the ECU id, and if so, where would I submit that data. Or does that apply to the car model in general.

Example 2 to unlock it to my car, and 1 to upload the tune?

Potential Tuner
    i have a 2020 l5p and when i go to write the tune it says unlicensed vehicle and have no clue what to do now and my truck won’t start

Potential Tuner
    Im in the same boat. My tune was originally made with an RTD device (I believe). That device is registered to me, and has 3 universal credits listed on the website, in license information 2 are linked to the car, and 1 to the FSCM-F. I purchased an mpvi3 and 2 universal credits to link to the car (only 2 required per the licensing page). Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to license it to the new device, and no licenses are showing up under the license information. Honestly, Id be fine blowing away and throwing the RTD unit in the damn trash and giving up those licenses. I've never seen such convoluted licensing. Even enterprise IT licensing isn't this much of a cluster.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by UMDSmith View Post
    Im in the same boat. My tune was originally made with an RTD device (I believe). That device is registered to me, and has 3 universal credits listed on the website, in license information 2 are linked to the car, and 1 to the FSCM-F. I purchased an mpvi3 and 2 universal credits to link to the car (only 2 required per the licensing page). Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to license it to the new device, and no licenses are showing up under the license information. Honestly, Id be fine blowing away and throwing the RTD unit in the damn trash and giving up those licenses. I've never seen such convoluted licensing. Even enterprise IT licensing isn't this much of a cluster.
    If no licenses are showing up under the license information screen it means you haven't licensed anything on the device. If you require further assistance I recommend contacting support directly which can be done here https://support.hptuners.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"