Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boosted 2016: ETC Closing, But no Limits...

Set desired higher, you wont see it in the log as the PCM is trying to match it, no other reason for closing TB. Just my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    Set desired higher, you wont see it in the log as the PCM is trying to match it, no other reason for closing TB. Just my advice.

You don't really "set desired". It's a value derived from your driver demand, TQ/inverse, etc.

Why did you say my air load exceeded my desired load? The log data clearly shows that isn't the case.

"you wont see it in the log", why? That makes no sense to me.

And besides all of this, WOT start / end points should override all of this and force the throttle open.
    Last edited by CCS86; 12-19-2022 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
    You don't really "set desired". It's a value derived from your driver demand, TQ/inverse, etc.

Why did you say my air load exceeded my desired load? The log data clearly shows that isn't the case.

"you wont see it in the log", why? That makes no sense to me.

And besides all of this, WOT start / end points should override all of this and force the throttle open.
    No, it is not...desired load comes form torque model, nothing to do with a torque request but with whats in the model.

No, it is not...desired load comes form torque model, nothing to do with a torque request but with whats in the model.

Of course it follows the torque request.

It all starts with a pedal position, which gets looked up in driver demand to derive a torque request. Then, the torque request is fed into the torque/inverse tables to find a corresponding (desired) load.

what about the other questions in my last post?

Senior Tuner
    This looks like my friends car when he went from 3.31 to 3.73 with out updating the tune for it.

Simple update, the BCM didn't learn it or atleast not very quickly or after a few miles of driving.

Rear gear ratio.jpg
    Last edited by murfie; 12-24-2022 at 01:23 AM.

Of course it follows the torque request.
    it ends up you being smarter and knowing better again yet you seek help...again...you never change.

no, it is not and learn how to take advises because its the last you ever get from me.

Advanced Tuner
    Ccs86, I think I would try wot start at about 80 and end at 90.

I had the same issue with a 2015 Mustang GT that was auto swapped it had a 80mm single turbo. It would run fine on the streets but at the track on a hard pull the throttle would just shut and it would not open back up till you let off the pedal and then pressed it back down. I never figured out the issue and i never seen any limits i hit. I had multiple tuners look at the tune and logs and even a guy at HP but never found out what caused the issue. If you figure it out, please reply back to your post and let us know the resolution.

it ends up you being smarter and knowing better again yet you seek help...again...you never change.

no, it is not and learn how to take advises because its the last you ever get from me.

You always try to turn these discussions into something personal. I don't want to talk about you, or about me. I don't care "who is smarter".

Here is your advice: "Set desired higher"

What are you actually suggesting? There is no "desired" setting, so please elaborate.

You also say: "you wont see it in the log as the PCM is trying to match it"

When you can clearly log desired load and air load at 10Hz, how would you not be able to see air load exceeding desired load?

Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    This looks like my friends car when he went from 3.31 to 3.73 with out updating the tune for it.

Simple update, the BCM didn't learn it or atleast not very quickly or after a few miles of driving.

Rear gear ratio.jpg

Wow, now that would be interesting!

I will give this a try, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Ccs86, I think I would try wot start at about 80 and end at 90.

Not a bad idea to try. I have always been able to get good functionality here with values much closer to maximum. But, who knows, maybe some strategies apply pedal percentages differently?

Advanced Tuner
    Not a bad idea to try. I have always been able to get good functionality here with values much closer to maximum. But, who knows, maybe some strategies apply pedal percentages differently?
    That’s what I was thinking. 100% isn’t always 100% and I noticed most stock cals have wot end at 90. It’s an easy test.

Potential Tuner
    Throttle body model data is correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by geddys View Post
    Throttle body model data is correct ?

Yes, it is very close.

If that was the reason, we would see actual MAF/load exceeding desired and causing IPC TQ errors.

Tuner
    Your air load does manage to hit 1.482 while desired is only 1.47. I'd also suspect there's a pretty large gap between your torque and inverse with EBT ~80lb/ft lower than ETC Request, but I don't think that's related to your issue, just a note.
    Last edited by RobCat030; 12-29-2022 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCat030 View Post
    Your air load does manage to hit 1.482 while desired is only 1.47. I'd also suspect there's a pretty large gap between your torque and inverse with EBT ~80lb/ft lower than ETC Request, but I don't think that's related to your issue, just a note.

Yeah, that's less than a 1% difference. Definitely not enough to trigger an ETC closure.

Where in the log do you see that though? Under load I see desired load significantly higher than air all the time (until the pedal slams shut)

Tuner
    Im at 30.517. EBT is much lower than requested, load is higher than desired (albeit 1%, but still), I could see why that would confuse the throttle control. I would try raising it to rule it out.

Despite the rather extreme throttle closure the car doesn't seem to lose a ton of load (about 1.29 at the lowest?), which isn't an absurd correction for a PID controller.

I also think you can get better resolution with less things selected

Tuner
    Just noticed this too. Your ETC Area keeps a stable slope despite the throttle closing, ETC Vacuum is the same. Is your throttle body data giving the PCM reason to think it can flow the same amount of air at 31 degrees vs 82 degrees?

Screenshot 2022-12-29 215640.png

Quote Originally Posted by RobCat030 View Post
    Just noticed this too. Your ETC Area keeps a stable slope despite the throttle closing, ETC Vacuum is the same. Is your throttle body data giving the PCM reason to think it can flow the same amount of air at 31 degrees vs 82 degrees?

Screenshot 2022-12-29 215640.png

Right, that is the issue. Something is overriding the throttle position and closing it, outside the normal channels. During part throttle operation, sweeping through that ETC ~31* range, effective area behaves normally and the car has good throttle response in general. It would drive like garbage if it couldn't distinguish between 31* and 82* ETC.

I'm getting 10-14 Hz on the important channels, so I'm not really concerned about missing data at this point.

The car not "losing a ton of load" during the throttle closure is because this is a positive displacement blower car and it is only turning about 3000 rpm at that point. A twin 60mm TB at 30? is not a big restriction at that RPM. The car only loses about 15% MAF flow when the TB closes from 82? to 31? at that RPM.

Tuner
    I understand mechanically what the blower is doing. But the throttle calculation for all intents and purposes does not understand there is a blower attached, you've worked around that somehow.

Something about the internal logic of this strategy is challenging your conception of how it all works, so the solution is probably something you might object to on merit alone.

I would definitely raise desired load and/or modify your TTL to rule it out. Air load is close to/slightly above desired, EBT is reasonably below ETC Request. Depending on your distance from MBT, that's an odd situation for the PCM to rationalize.