Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boosted 2016: ETC Closing, But no Limits...

Boosted 2016: ETC Closing, But no Limits...

This one is new to me...

A very significant ETC closing despite no DD limit source being shown. Everything looks correct in ETC TQ / Desired MAF, so I can't see any reason for this correction.

The only limit I can see in the log is an "Anticlunk Tipin TQ Lmt." about 20 seconds prior. I have been unsuccessful so far in completely eliminating those.

Any ideas?

Image 008.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    Is the cyl anticipation on?

Disabled.

try enabling
    I can try. But, I'm having a hard time seeing it implicated in this situation, where WOT pedal position should be forcing full ETC angle. I have only ever seen a DD limit override this. Not even MAF far in excess of desired MAF will override forced WOT.

Senior Tuner
    Not much to go by in the log.

From guessing I would be looking at clutch protection, raising the torque limit values up, and disabling gear shift hang (unless that is desired) most people hate it tho.
    Last edited by murfie; 11-28-2022 at 08:32 PM.

Exactly. I would think that if it was a specific limit not yet defined for this strategy, it would still show up as a number.

The base for this tune is essentially matched to another PD blower 2016 car I tuned which never had this issue (or the anticlunk). All torque limits raised, clutch protection disabled.

clutch.jpg

I'm curious about this switch: [ECM] 10304 - Drive Request Unsaturated Torque Limit: This is an enable/disable switch for enabling the use of an unsaturated driver torque request.

Senior Tuner
    That seems to be only in the roush OS, but not in OEM OS. Only thing close to it is in the auto OS
    [ECM] 10305 - Wheel Torque Limit Enable Reserve: This is an enable/disable switch for using torque reserve when the wheel torque is limiting engine torque. Has to deal with TC slip, not sure why that would be in a manual strategy unless they planned on clutch slip.

Are the misfire being reported a scanner misreport or is that actually happening? The fuel trims are swinging an awful lot indicating some mechanical issues.

I'm going to have him check ignition, because that is definitely a lot of misfires. But, I need him to start sending full logs because this one starts with 67 misfires already, so I can't see the trend.

The fuel trims aren't too concerning at the moment. A lot of the instability in the trims in this short log are explainable. But the one just before the WOT hit looks like it could be real misfire:

fueling.jpg

The spark advance is running less than expected. I have a -5* adder while we look at fueling under load, but this strategy is running less advance than I expected. That is probably a contributor to misfires under load. But, in another log, at light load, with 35+* of advance, it is still racking up misfires.

Open to any other observations.
    Last edited by CCS86; 11-28-2022 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
    I can try. But, I'm having a hard time seeing it implicated in this situation, where WOT pedal position should be forcing full ETC angle. I have only ever seen a DD limit override this. Not even MAF far in excess of desired MAF will override forced WOT.
    Every time anti clunk shows up it's speed density like 9/10.

Every time anti clunk shows up it's speed density like 9/10.

What method are you using to tune SD? On my personal 2012 I used an external MAP sensor and locked out each mapped point, sweeping all ranges of load and RPM. This isn't practical on a remotely tuned car though.

The SD tables are identical to the other 2016 with a very similar build, which never showed an anticlunk. Strategy differences maybe.

Use SD multipliers to tune, leave the rest stock.

Use SD multipliers to tune, leave the rest stock.

What is your indicator that an adjustment is needed, and the magnitude? Are you just adjusting locally where an issue like anticlunk arises. Or, are you globally correcting through logged channels / user math?

What is your indicator that an adjustment is needed, and the magnitude? Are you just adjusting locally where an issue like anticlunk arises. Or, are you globally correcting through logged channels / user math?
    Without an actual MAP sensor you can only guess based on wacky trims or desired load being out of this world. Second one throws anti clunk as airmass is nowhere to be close.

Might try to fix it with MAP delta over BP (Barometric Pressure), this is also relevant to where your base BP is set to. That table should represent your actual possible boost.

I still can't get this thing to open the throttle!

Image 003.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    Curious, why not strategy swap these cars to the ones you have success with?

Quote Originally Posted by RobCat030 View Post
    Curious, why not strategy swap these cars to the ones you have success with?

Mainly economics. HP Tuners licensing rules are absurd.

It should go like this:

- Read out stock tune, save as a backup (no licensing)
    - Take new strategy, insert destination VIN number to that new tune, license the strategy+VIN combo, flash, done.

Instead, it's like this:

- Take new strategy with random VIN, spend credits to license that strategy+VIN combo.
    - Read the tune back out, now with the correct VIN embedded, and spend more credits to license this combination. Double the credits spent to license one (non-stock) strategy.

Tuner
    Mainly economics. HP Tuners licensing rules are absurd.

It should go like this:

- Read out stock tune, save as a backup (no licensing)
    - Take new strategy, insert destination VIN number to that new tune, license the strategy+VIN combo, flash, done.

Instead, it's like this:

- Take new strategy with random VIN, spend credits to license that strategy+VIN combo.
    - Read the tune back out, now with the correct VIN embedded, and spend more credits to license this combination. Double the credits spent to license one (non-stock) strategy.
    I agree that HP licensing isn't great for something like this. What you can do is use Forscan to flash to the new calibration, then read out the new calibration and VIN, and only license one time.

Remotely, send your client a J2534 device and have them mail it back. Probably less of a headache than the ones your currently facing.

P.S. this is also a good way to check the available definition data that HP has for a specific strategy before recommending your customers to purchase a device

I still can't get this thing to open the throttle!

Image 003.jpg
    HINT: your air load breaches desired load

HINT: your air load breaches desired load
    How so?

load.jpg