Thread: Bad ECM?

Potential Tuner

Bad ECM?

Hey,

New here, but I recently had my L5P worked with an EXM from you guys and it did well for only 2 months. I got in the vehicle, went to get fuel parked at the pump refueled and got back in the vehicle to return home and that?s the last place my truck moved from on its own. I brought the truck back to the installer and was told the ECM fried? How? 2 months old? I have not connected anything to the truck at all, all I did was drive it. I don?t drag race or abuse my vehicle either. Long story short my ECM fried and I have to cough another 2k because my truck has been deleted? Isn?t there any type of guarantee with an ECM? What on earth could have fried such an expensive piece just by shutting down the engine to refuel? Just asking for some help or understanding 2K is a bit much if it only lasts as long as an oil change.
    Thanks in Advance!

As a basic rule electronics parts usually have zero warranty unless you have a relationship with the seller. Some companies offer warranties but it is unlikely that it will cover your out of pocket for the mod. Don't know if HP offers warranty on their mods. It would be unlikely that anyone would cover software.
    I don't make the rules but this has been around for decades that I have been a tech. When it really took a turn was in the 80's when you would have drivers fail in an ECM because of a shorted wire, injector, solenoid etc and someone would want a tester or new ECM plug it in without check on the driven componect like a shorted injector and then it would fail early. After a lot of failed ECM's GM said no more warranty unless it was diagnosed and installed at the dealership. YMMV

Potential Tuner
    So your saying that the person I would need to work with would be the installer, programmer of the ECM? Also, a software crash shouldn’t crash an entire ECM should it? I mean i literally turned the engine off and then tried to crank after a refuel. There were no pops noises or anything out of ordinary except that the truck would do nothing past the ignition on position. It wouldn’t start or send any power to start.
    Last edited by Bayou57; 11-29-2022 at 04:54 PM.

Senior Tuner
    ECM failures won't have anything to do with how it's being driven or really anything to do with what you are doing when it goes. It's normally going to be an issue with wiring/voltage. Of course anything electronic could just have a bad component in it. The real question is how do you prove bad component vs outside issue (or mishandling, physical abuse).

Advanced Tuner
    The L5P ECM modification process isn't risk free, unfortunately, you have to pay to play. So, yeah, you'll have to buy a new ECM and do it all over again.

24 years at a GM dealer. That parking lot had a LOT of brand new failed components. Can't count the vehicles that the transport guys literally floored the gas to get it on the transport rig that would barely make it in my stall. All kinds of bad crap. Sorry I can't give you the answer you are looking for. You need to contact each end starting with HP tuners to see if someone in this long string of stuff will cut you a little slack. Catch more bee's with sugar routine.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    24 years at a GM dealer. That parking lot had a LOT of brand new failed components. Can't count the vehicles that the transport guys literally floored the gas to get it on the transport rig that would barely make it in my stall. All kinds of bad crap. Sorry I can't give you the answer you are looking for. You need to contact each end starting with HP tuners to see if someone in this long string of stuff will cut you a little slack. Catch more bee's with sugar routine.

Potential Tuner
    I understand that. The sad part was that my DEF heater went out is why I worked any delete stuff. I was happy to get rid of it, just still upset that this happened and not really knowing what did it. The question is if I put a new ECM in, is this just a fluke? I mean it’s a lot of cash.

Yikes. You know that DEF heater ending up with a HUGE extension on its warranty. GM had a massive issue with them. It likely would be replaced for free.

There still a def parts shortage? I still hear about horror stories of down trucks waiting on parts for emissions. Last years supply chain crisis clearly has spilled into this year!
    2006 GTO 403ci lsa heads kooks long tubes corsa ss exhaust OTR intake HPTuned

2010 GMC Sierra LMM Duramax. Exhaust and tuned