Thread: 16-19 Chevy Spark LV7 1.4 VATS disable.

Potential Tuner

16-19 Chevy Spark LV7 1.4 VATS disable.

Can someone confirm that VATS can be disabled on the 16-19 Chevy Spark with 1.4 liter LV7 engine? I'm looking at this engine for a swap into an off road buggy, but if I can't run the stock ECU there are probably better engine options. It looks like it uses a Bosch E84 ECU with two connectors, but I don't know anything more about it.

Potential Tuner
    I grabbed a 2017 Spark ECM and attempted to read it out on the bench. It won't connect with HPT or handheld scantool. The only data lines on the ECM are hi speed GMLAN CAN bus which passes through several other modules before it gets to the DLC, and a single line called accessory wakeup serial data which goes only to the TCM and BCM. I'm guessing either it needs a wakeup message from the BCM, or something happens with the CAN data when it passes through the Serial data gateway module and/or BCM. In any case this seems to be a no-go for standalone operation. I may try and wire in a BCM and see if it wakes up, but then there's still the unknown of VATS disable, and I don't want to burn 4 credits on a guess.

Edit - I got it to connect.... was missing a power input.
    There's an option to disable VATS. Is it safe to assume it works?
    Last edited by FieroAddiction; 12-03-2022 at 02:52 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I assume LV7 VATS can be disabled using the normal manner, EDITOR, OS, General, Vats1 Disabled.
    Are you swapping the LV7. I have a spare ECM, Intake manifold. I like the LV7.

Potential Tuner
    I can now confirm it works. I have the LV7 from a 2017 Spark, installed in a Japanese Kei truck. It was an automatic ECM, I used GM SPS with a Mongoose Pro (Ford) cable to burn a stock manual tune to it. SPS said it failed, but when I read it out with HPT it has a different OS and manual trans settings installed. It didn't change the VIN, I think that's the reason SPS failed, I don't think SPS accepts used ECMs for these. Everything else looked good and I don't need the VIN to match anything so I took a chance and licensed it with HPT. Glad to say it works, I got it running yesterday without any trouble.

If only there was a tuning crowd strong enough to tune this little subcompact car ... much fun than you think to drive! Seriously way more fun to drive than you might think... Mods for this platform are tough to find, no aftermarket support ....