Thread: "Transmission Hot" shown when transmission isn't hot

"Transmission Hot" shown when transmission isn't hot

I have a 2003 Yukon XL2500 with a 6l80 transmission swap that I'm having a very strange problem with. The 6l80 is controlled by an aftermarket controller and the only thing hooked up to any of the original PCM transmission inputs is the transmission temperature sensor. I hooked a temperature sensor up so that the trans temp gauge on the dash would work. The problem is that ever since the swap I get a "transmission hot" message displayed on the cluster when the transmission hits about 170F, despite being set in HPTuners to 260F. I've verified that both in the PCM and IPC it displays the correct temperature when I check with a scan tool. I've checked with a couple different people who repair and modify the clusters and and they assure me that the cluster itself doesn't control that message and that it's just coming from the PCM. From everything I've read in the OEM service manual that does appear correct. On the HPTuners side I've tried maxing out the trans overtemperature settings with no change, I've also tried changing the trans type on HPTuners (not exactly recommended but I'm grasping at straws) and that didn't fix it either. With it set to 4l60e, 4l80e, and non-electric trans the temperature gauge works and the message still turns on about 170F. With it set to a manual transmission or Allison I just don't get any temp reading at all for the trans. I've also tried doing an write entire just in case something was oddly corrupted.

What am I missing here? I never thought the most frustrating part of the transmission swap was going to be a warning message on the instrument cluster!

Potential Tuner
    What are the numbers on your PCM? I have the same problem with a 6.0/4L80E swap in a 2003 Silverado.

Tuner
    Transmission Hot Indication in Gen3 has two conditions to engage.
    1. if Trans Temp exceeds some thresold (Constant) for some time (Table vs TFT).
    2. Trans Temp above threshold2, Vehicle Speed above some threshold (for example 25 MPH), Trans Gear is not 1st, Converter Speed ratio below some threshold.
    Second condition fires when excessive heat is generated in the converter. None of its parameters is available in HPT.

If you have standalone Trans Controller just prevent PCM from "shifting" above 1st gear and second condition will not fire.
    2011 Cadillac Escalade L94 w/LS3 valves and valve springs