Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodge Ram 5.3 swap help

Tuner in Training

Dodge Ram 5.3 swap help

2004 gmc yukon 5.3 swapped into 98 dodge ram 1500. Has sloppy stage 2 cam and springs, also gen4 6.0 rods and 4.8 pistons. Attached is my first second and last log i took last night and attempted towards end to increase rpms to get more data. What's happening is anytime I put into Reverse or Drive it dies out, also it will run for a little while and then set a list of codes I will include below and dies immediately. Truck wont start back up until this list is cleared and same thing will happen again. Was hoping someone could offer a direction to head to and I know there is a lot of tuning left to accomplish but if I can get it to where it will idle in gear and drive even I can pull more data and dial it in. I'm new to hp tuners, thanks ahead of time for any advice.

First run_E1.hplSecond run_E2.hplThird run_E3.hplEdit 3.hpt

There are no codes showing up in any of the three logs.

Did you use the alcohol sensor in the swap, or is it now gone? If gone, it needs to be disabled in the tune. It's defaulting to 38%.

Tuner in Training
    Good catch. I will disable this. Flex fuel tab if I remember correct and right?

List of codes that set are as follows:

P0068 Map/Maf - throttle position correlation
    P0101 Mass or volume air flow A circuit range/performance
    P0102 Mass or volume air flow A circuit low
    P0106 Manifold absolute pressure/BARO sensor range performance
    P0178 Flexible fuel sensor circuit low
    P0463 Fuel level sensor A circuit high
    P0522 engine oil pressure sensor/switch circuit
    P0650 Malfunction indicator light control circuit
    P0654 Engine RPM output circuit
    P0856 Traction control input signal
    P1689 Delivered torque circuit fault

P0068 Map/Maf - throttle position correlation - This usually has to be disabled at Engine Diagnostics > Airflow
    P0101 Mass or volume air flow A circuit range/performance - Are you using a MAF in the swap? Is it wired correctly? Have you checked anything?
    P0102 Mass or volume air flow A circuit low - Same as above
    P0106 Manifold absolute pressure/BARO sensor range performance - What MAP sensor? Part number? Pinned correctly?
    P0178 Flexible fuel sensor circuit low - Disable flex at Engine > Fuel > Flex Fuel. Set default % to 0%. Set DTC P0178 to No Error Reported.
    P0463 Fuel level sensor A circuit high - If not using the original GM fuel level sensor & all wiring, this code must be set to No Error Reported.
    P0522 engine oil pressure sensor/switch circuit - Check wiring, check sensor/switch operation, unless not using the factory sensor/switch - in that case, No Error Reported.
    P0650 Malfunction indicator light control circuit - If not using a MIL circuit & light, No Error Reported.
    P0654 Engine RPM output circuit - If not connected to the same circuit as it was in the 2004 Yukon, No Error Reported.
    P0856 Traction control input signal - If you did not also swap in the Yukon ABS module, No Error Reported.
    P1689 Delivered torque circuit fault - Same as above, also an ABS thing.

There is a bunch of stuff in the DTC list that was either missed or misunderstood. If it's related to something that's no longer present after your swap, it should be set to No Error Reported. A lot of downstream O2 codes were overlooked and still active, some have been properly disabled. Towards the end of the list are comms DTCs for the other factory modules, none of which usually get used in a swap. If it's not there anymore, No Error Reported.

The one exception to the No Error Reported thing I keep repeating is, the MAF. If you want it to run without a MAF, it must set one of the MAF codes first, that means those codes have to stay active so the tests can run and then fail. It must fail before it will ignore the MAF table and use pure VE.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you, this is all great information I either overlooked or didn’t understand completely. You’re right in that I have no disabled things not brought over. I am in fact using Yukon map and maf sensors pinned and wired as intended by the factory but I will triple check this again to be 200% sure.

Tuner in Training
    Forgive my ignorance but I did go into file last night to remove codes for o2 sensor 2 related items to mark as no error reported. But they were all greyed out and wouldn’t allow me to take check off and do so. Any insight to opening this option up or is this what you were mentioning by they would have to fail and set a code first before I could?

Senior Tuner
    Are you using a MPVI3? If so, you have to take a training class/test to unlock many of the parameters.

Newer versions of the software require you to take a short online course and then enter a validation code to unlock the grayed-out settings.

The MAF codes P0101/P0102/P0103 are the ones that must remain un-disabled and only if the MAF is removed or temporarily disabled for VE tuning.

Tuner in Training
    Made edits and disabled unnecessary things. Here is latest idle file.

Idle 3.hpl

Still set code for MAF and MAP and checking pins and wiring now before getting next data. Also set po200 again. Thanks for any input.

P0200 is a circuit code, it's detecting either an open or short. Not a tune issue.

You need your own service manuals to diagnose the codes left over after the DTC list has been cleaned up. The MAF code, for instance. It's plugged in, not disabled in the tune, that code is telling you it's either a bad sensor or bad wiring.

Your log still does not show any codes, I don't know how it's possible to do that.

Tuner in Training
    Update:

Found my crankshaft position sensor wiring needed repair, also replaced map sensor. Wanted to share my latest run and edit. When starting my truck it idles a little rough and then revs on its own as it enters CL and slowly comes back down each time. I had been disabling VE table to tune with MAF but I am being told to do the opposite. Looking into making adjustments necessary to get it running better to get some road data to really dial it in closer. As always any feedback or advice is appreciated.
    Edit 3.hpt
    Run 4.hpl

Tuner in Training
    As stated in last post I now went other direction. I have disabled MAF and Closed Loop to trigger Open loop full time to tune in VE table. My latest issue i have come into is that when i backed truck up I realized operation of my gas pedal is inop, as if in limp mode. Only code set I found is the MAF code triggered on purpose to fail it out. If anyone else catches something or just knows something in general I'm simply missing I would greatly appreciate a finger in the right direction. Finally had hopes up since, altho low rpm, idle in gear was holding up until i noticed i couldnt accelerate.

Since this I have verified no irregularities in APP1 and APP2 voltage through full sweep nor TPS1 and TPS2 voltage through full sweep.

Thanks ahead of time.

Tuner in Training
    In hopes this helps and someone can assist here are the latest files in reference to last posting.

SDRune3.hpl
    SD step 2.hpt

What part# MAP sensor are you using? I don't think that cam is big enough to make it idle at 98kPa.

Tuner in Training
    Su1078vc

Also, it's dead lean according to O2s, even though LTFTs are adding +25/+17. You should clear the fuel trims in the scanner/special functions. Bet it won't run after that until you fix whatever's up with the MAP sensor. Yes, that 98kPa is after it drops down to ~500RPM, but before that it was at 1200 and still only 88-89kPa. Spark timing is being pulled way low to try to reduce idle speed to the target, because BRAF is likely too high. Low timing reduces idle vacuum, which is part of it (the freaky-high kPa), but not all.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Su1078vc
    Am I supposed to know what that is? What's the OE GM number it's supposed to replace? Is that an offshore fake copy of a MAP sensor?

Tuner in Training
    That is valucraft brand to replace 09359409.

I understand you want me to clear long term fuel trims. It is unclear other than perhaps replace with another map sensor what you?re advising. I do very much appreciate your finding the issue with vacuum readings. If there is anything else I can be doing or data I could be offering please let me know.

I'm suspecting that your replacement/house brand MAP sensor may not actually use the same linear/offset as the real GM/Delco sensor, which makes it falsely report a sky-high manifold pressure, which totally screws up everything else. You should test with a mechanical gauge whether that reading is correct or not (you can change the scanner or add a separate channel that'll display MAP as manifold vacuum in in-Hg, that will correspond to what a typical vacuum gauge reads).

Advanced Tuner
    Im tuning a 03 5.3 now with a SS2 at 800 rpms it idles about 58-60kpa.
    What torque converter are you running?