Thread: 6L80E (Pontiac G8)-Can I copy and paste old trans tune??

Potential Tuner

6L80E (Pontiac G8)-Can I copy and paste old trans tune??

2009 Pontiac G8 GT (L76/6L80E)

Previous combo was Street Tuned. Tuner did phenomenal job with drivability, lock up, shift points, partial throttle was smooth, it rev matched on downshifts, I could downshift in manual mode to my desired gear and could floor it (still in manual mode) and it would upshift automatically at designated rpm, etc. I loved it. It felt great! The only con, the old tune had it revving/shifting at around 7100-7200rpm, which I fear is too high for the new combo.

New combo was dyno tuned, by a completely different tuner. Seems to have the engine/fueling set up fine, but the shift points are lower, maybe 6200-6500rpm, which is fine by me. Its making plenty enough power that I dont really need to twist its guts out. BUT, I hate the drivability with the new tune. It feels like it blows through the gears at partial throttle, lock up seems clunky, it no longer rev matches on downshifts, etc. But I do like how its not revving to the moon at wot.

So, Is there a way to take the old trans tune and copy it over to the new engine/fueling tune but just lower the shift points down to around 6400-6500rpm to keep it safe? That way I regain the drivability, rev matching, and automatic upshift while at wot in manual mode, etc?

This is strictly a street car, no track runs, just the occasional roll race here and there, lol.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
    Last edited by KSteele; 12-04-2022 at 04:31 PM.

Potential Tuner
    copy the tables from one tune and paste it into the other?

I think that doing this is not very good, I have bad experience with Vw gti I did it and the ecu is blocked

Potential Tuner
    Im new to HP tuners, so Im open to advice, just dont want to do anything risky that might mess up the Ecu. Maybe I can open the old tune file on a separate laptop and just manually enter the data to the new file so they mirror each other?

Senior Tuner
    Picking its still the same trans? If yes, then you can copy all the trans tables across and adjust the shift points as you like. Use the compare function. You'll have it done in a couple of mouse clicks. It will need an adapt reset / preset and some drive cycles once you've loaded it into the trans.

Potential Tuner
    Been watching some videos the last couple of hours to try and learn more and I was literally watching a video on using the compare function when you replied. It must be a sign! Lol.
    Im going to attempt this tomorrow, although Im not familiar with the adapt reset/preset you speak of. I guess that will be the next thing I google, lol. Fingers crossed Im able to get the drivability back, I miss how it used to be.
    Thank you for the reply!
    Last edited by KSteele; 12-04-2022 at 08:57 PM.

Senior Tuner
    You can likely just flash in the whole TCM file back into it. The one you like. As long as the speedometer wasn't re calibrated everything should go back to the way it was.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    I felt froggy last night so I went ahead and used the compare function to copy and paste the changes. It took a little work cause there was a lot of differences between the 2 tuners. No test drive yet, hopefully do that today, weather permitting. I just appreciate yall being willing to help and chime in! This stuff is very intimidating! Appreciate yall!

I actually reached out to you guys about dyno/street tuning it, I wish that would have worked out, lol. Ive heard a lot of good things about yall!
    Last edited by KSteele; 12-05-2022 at 08:45 AM.

The trans preset and adapts preset are in the scanner. You have to connect to the vehicle and then go to the vehicle tap, then controls and special functions, and then to transmission. Then reset buttons are there.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
    The trans preset and adapts preset are in the scanner. You have to connect to the vehicle and then go to the vehicle tap, then controls and special functions, and then to transmission. Then reset buttons are there.
    Thank you for the play by play! Very helpful. I did go ahead and test it out though. Its def doing more of what I like! Seeing as how its responding to the tune, do you think I still need to do a reset/relearn?

If you changed any of the pressures then yes.

Advanced Tuner
    The only thing you will want to be careful of/maybe blend the two files or manually set is going to be the WOT portions if you don't want your 7200 shifts back. If you want it to continue to shift at 6500 like it does now, then you will need to use some of the WOT section of the current tune in combination with the old one