Thread: Weird timing issue

Tuner in Training

Weird timing issue

LS1, speed density, mild cam, 11:1 compression, truck heads n intake, 36# injectors and shorty headers. Everything else stock. I'm having a weird issue where my timing drops way down in a few spots. It rarely happens. I'm not finding knock retard anywhere on any of my logs. I've had a knock sensor code pop up 2 times in 6 months. Clear the dtc and it doesn't pop back up. My idle timing is also jumping from 12 to 24 suddenly. I had it pretty steady at 18 to 20. Here is my tune and log.

LS1 SD, BTR WW2 cam 36#inj.hpt

drive to store.hpl
    Last edited by 12ramhemi; 12-04-2022 at 07:57 PM.

One note, you can't command a stoich value that doesn't exist for regular pump fuels. They don't sell gasoline that would run 14.9 for a stoich, put it back to 14.68 if running non ethanol fuels.

Remove all that negative timing in the ECT spark correction table too. It's a unrelated thing but you don't need all that.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    there is no knock retard showing in my scanner at those places. Only those massive dips in a few spots . It doesn't happen all the time and I've been logging every drive. That just seems like alot of timing pulled in random places for no reason. I'm not sure if my scanner isn't set right or I am overlooking something. Could a bad knock sensor be causing it?

Thank you both

The screen shot dip he posted was on the shift, it's pretty normal to drop timing on the shift. Removing power helps the transmission a lot.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    One note, you can't command a stoich value that doesn't exist for regular pump fuels. They don't sell gasoline that would run 14.9 for a stoich, put it back to 14.68 if running non ethanol fuels.

Remove all that negative timing in the ECT spark correction table too. It's a unrelated thing but you don't need all that.
    I set stoich back. Where are you saying to pull the neg timing from?

Tuner in Training
    I guess you mean here in the picture

IMG_20221204_231206.jpg

I see what your saying on it pulling timing in shift points, just haven't seen it logged in my scanner like that before.

Thanks again for your help.

screenshot.04-12-2022 20.29.32.png

If you log the things used in those tables, like trans current gear and delivered torque, it will make a lot more sense.

Advanced Tuner
    That appears to be a normal timing pull on what looks like the 1 to 2 shift judging by mph

You really do not want to have big jumps from one column to the next in either of these tables like this.

screenshot.05-12-2022 00.46.33.png

Advanced Tuner
    Usually any difference less than 5* is ok depending on the setup. Less is better tho.