Thread: On going issues with AEM 30-0300 either going bad or bad out of box. Analog output

Senior Tuner

On going issues with AEM 30-0300 either going bad or bad out of box. Analog output

I've really grown to like these over the past several years for doing older cars that do not support the CAN OBD2

I have two problems wtih them though.

1. occasionally they are really late to wake up the analog output. You can get in a car and within a minute the gauge is displaying what looks like accurate numbers but the analog output is held pretty low (100-200 mv from memory). This can be the case for like 10+ minutes.. then the output wakes up like nothing happened.

---- It seems powering the gauge off the alternator instead of a postive post helps this delay. Sometimes there is no end to the delay.. that is normally how they fail for me.

2. The output just never wakes up.. It stays low even thought he gauge swings very high and low. Getting a new gauge is typically the move here but I'm at the point were I've gone though like 5 of them. Today I had one go bad so I got 2 brand new ones off the shelf and both of the brand new ones will not wake up the analog output either.

What is going on? Is it something I'm missing?
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Wonder if dr. mike's firmware would have any effect? That'd at least nail down if it's for sure a hardware failure.

Senior Tuner
    I reached out to him.. He didn't have an answer for this issue.

It's too bad because consistently these are quick, accurate wide bands with good analog output when it works. Before using them I'd have to find out the scalar and offset in each car I temporarily installed other wideband in because the offset was that far off.

AEM tech support hasn't been too helpful either.

Oh.. and get this.. My gauge that didn't work yesterday.. that I spent 4 hours trying different gauges, power supplies, tech support, etc.. All works first try this morning. Mind you tried 4 gauges yesterday..3 off the shelf new. 2 main harnesses, 2 power harnesses.. powered off alternator, battery, and jump pack etc. I can't handle this sometimes works sometimes don't shit... lol
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    I can't handle this sometimes works sometimes don't shit... lol
    did you ever get this figured out?
    Im using an AEM, and it appears to be perfect, although im having some datalogging issues.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bk2life View Post
    did you ever get this figured out?
    Im using an AEM, and it appears to be perfect, although im having some datalogging issues.
    No I haven't.

I can't tell sometimes if its a scanner issue or what.. Sometimes just stopping and restarting logging fixes it. Keeping battery voltage on the gauge while tuning seems to help. If you have a MPVI 3 you can run the serial lines to it. I have a 2.5+
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com