Thread: WOT tuning

Potential Tuner

WOT tuning

Hello everyone. Looking at the stock tune Eric posted it looks like the A/R ratio is set to 14.6 no matter where the power is. What I mean is on every engine I've ever tuned the best WOT A/F ratio is around 12.5-13. Perfect A/F ratio is 14.6 but you don't want to run that lean if you're running with boost or eventually, you're going to have a problem.
    Has anyone else seen this and if you changed it where did you change it? Thanks
    I have a 2018 Maverick X3 Turbo R XDS and love it.

Tuner
    you change it in either the VE or in the injector pulse multiplier.
    I tune my seadoo 300 to around 11.8 to 12.3 WOT

that stoich AFR number is just a reference.

Advanced Tuner
    Not sure what Eric posted, but here's the power enrichment table I have in a stock tune.
    The technique I use is put your commanded afr in this table, adjust the ve table until actual matches commanded.

2018 ve table.jpg

Potential Tuner
    Thanks, MRR.
    I've been tuning cars since 2006 and have probably 150 tunes so I have a good idea what I'm doing LOL The scanner does nothing when hooked to my X3. I read someplace that the scanner actually won't work and all HP tuner can do is pull a data file, then you can modify it, write the file, drive it and pull data to see where it's at. Is this true? I mean my other tuner I can tune on the fly can we not do that with the Can am tuner? If it can I'd love to see the scan file. Also, what does the variant 1 or 2 mean? Is that for the two different keys? Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by suprsky View Post
    Thanks, MRR.
    I've been tuning cars since 2006 and have probably 150 tunes so I have a good idea what I'm doing LOL The scanner does nothing when hooked to my X3. I read someplace that the scanner actually won't work and all HP tuner can do is pull a data file, then you can modify it, write the file, drive it and pull data to see where it's at. Is this true? I mean my other tuner I can tune on the fly can we not do that with the Can am tuner? If it can I'd love to see the scan file. Also, what does the variant 1 or 2 mean? Is that for the two different keys? Thanks
    Yes, HPT can't pull the stock file from the ecu.
    You must be using BETA.
    Hook it up, download the stock tune, do the O/S mod, flash, and try to log again

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MRRPMBRP View Post
    Yes, HPT can't pull the stock file from the ecu.
    You must be using BETA.
    Hook it up, download the stock tune, do the O/S mod, flash, and try to log again
    When you say I must be using BETA are you asking if I?m using that or saying I need to use BETA? I?ve tried both. Also what is the OS mod or is that in the pop up that comes up? Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    You must use beta, you can not use regular HPT.
    When you get the stock tune, go to the O/S tab, and use it.

Potential Tuner
    So I used beta and just for kicks I tried the normal scanner and editor and it worked fine. I just have a couple of questions. I’m used to tuning cars and don’t get what the variant 0,1,2,3 ect stands for. Is it because of the two keys? I have a couple more questions you could send me an email and I’ll give you my cell if you wanna give me a call that would be great. [email protected]
    Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    So I used beta and just for kicks I tried the normal scanner and editor and it worked fine. I just have a couple of questions. I’m used to tuning cars and don’t get what the variant 0,1,2,3 ect stands for. Is it because of the two keys? I have a couple more questions you could send me an email and I’ll give you my cell if you wanna give me a call that would be great. [email protected]
    Thanks
    Each machine has a variant, most are 0 but some are 1. You'll need to try different settings to see which one you're working on. Keys mean nothing to variant.

Potential Tuner
    Thats what I figured. Thank you Sir

Potential Tuner
    Ok I tried changing the idle on Variant 0 and 1 but nothing happens. What did you change to figure out which one it is? Also is there a way to flash the cluster? Mine has the dealers name on it and I'd like to take that off. Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Ok I tried changing the idle on Variant 0 and 1 but nothing happens. What did you change to figure out which one it is? Also is there a way to flash the cluster? Mine has the dealers name on it and I'd like to take that off. Thanks
    There's many idle controls.
    Use fuel to determine the variant you have. Add fuel, see if afr changes.
    Use BUDS to change display text