Thread: 2006 Impala tuning

Potential Tuner

2006 Impala tuning

I was just wondering if there was any tuning that can be done to a 2006 Impala V6 with the 3.9 liter? i just bought it and the 240hp isn't enough for me, but I couldn't get a SS. The Army doesn't pay me that much.

I've tuned several V6 cars, and the owner's would never go back to the stock tune. The WOT AFR is not even close on the stock tune, you can raise the speed limiter, firm up the trans shifts, set the TCC to lock with out slip. The part and full throttle upshifts & downshifts can be adjusted. And you can turn off the EGR valve, lower the cooling fan temps, set the spark timing and many more tables.

Russ Kemp

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    the 06's use one of the newere E38 or E67 computers I believe which tend to have a ton of torque management & because its an impala usually everything is setup not to be performance oriented.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Hello Bill, I am new to the HP Tuners forum. We are Endurance racing a 2006 FWD Impala with a 3.5l 4t65e transmission. We have raced at Gingerman Raceway with the 24 Hours of Lemons group and at home in Ontario at Calabogie Motorsports with Lucky Dog Racing. I have researched the specifications that I need to program the Impala's TCM to account for the tires that we are racing on and the optimum shift points in terms of speed/gear and RPM/gear. I need someone to help step me through the various programming screens in Editor for the 4t65e transmission. At this time, we don't want to mess around with Engine tuning, we have already added a cold air intake, removed the catalytic converter and added a MBRP single big pipe exhaust.
    Do I need to start a new thread or can this be considered a continuation of this current thread? I'm open to suggestions, advice and comments.
    Regards
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    the 06's use one of the newere E38 or E67 computers I believe which tend to have a ton of torque management & because its an impala usually everything is setup not to be performance oriented.

Richard Hatkoski
    2006 Impala 3.5l FWD Auto

Post the tune file here or in a new thread.

I haven't looked at a file in a while but usually it's a few simple things to change for tires and if you want altered shifts, like firmer and torque converter settings.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thanks for the reply 5FDP, bare with me while I attempt the file upload. With the VCM Editor, I uploaded the original TCM file, saved it to my laptop and then commenced making changes and filing those edits under a new file name.
    2006 3.5l Impala Sport Auto.hpt
    Is this what you need?
    I have the Windows based laptop at the shop, I think I have made some more modifications but I didn't download to my thumb drive. I do have screen shots of the latest changes that I can email as well. I can send the latest version on Monday morning if you need it.
    Regards, Richard
    Attached Files Attached Files

Richard Hatkoski

You will need to do engine side tuning because of small changes you did.

Removing the cat converter requires that you disable that system. Under engine > fuel, Temp control you need to turn off the COT protection. Then in the Engine Diag tab there is the exhaust tab, you must turn off the rear o2 sensor test and cat test itself. Not doing so will cause the engine to use extra fuel, possibly hurt performance and cause the computer to enter the CAT test multiple times throughout drive cycles.

Then anything rear o2 sensor and cat code related needs to be turned off. Uncheck the the SES box and set the codes to No Error Reported. So codes P0420 and anything bank 1 sensor 2 related.

What tires are you running?

How many gears will you require for these races? Like how fast will the car go?

For sure never leave the shifter in the drive position, always have it in D3 so you don't ever shift into 4th gear. The 4T65e will not like 4-2 downshifts.

It may be worthwhile to turn off the torque converter lockup for 3rd gear as well to help save that depending on what you are doing.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Engine and trans modifications 2006 Impala 3.5l auto

Many thanks 5FDP for the feedback. I didn't have the email notification switched on for this thread so I apologize for the delayed response. I have also started a new thread on the Transmission Folder with a updated tune and Blue Cat file. It does not have your suggestions incorporated into it but I will add those later this evening. We cooked the transmission in the 2019 season and I had it completely rebuilt last summer. COVID messed with our 2020 racing plans but it now has a cooler mounted and a separate transmission temperature gauge mounted on the instrument cluster.
    We are running Continental Extreme Sport 255/40ZR/17s. On the backstretch at Calabogie Motorsports, it will haul 180kph. Yes, it rarely, if ever, hits 4th, you can run the whole course with the selector in 3. I will make the mods tonight and repost tomorrow.
    Regards, Richard

Richard Hatkoski

2006 3.5l Lemons Race Tune file

Good evening 5FDP, see attached tune file that has your suggested changes. I couldn't find the TC lockup tab to switch off 3rd gear enable so any directions or suggestions that you have would be appreciated. Regards, Richard
    Attached Files Attached Files

Richard Hatkoski

Potential Tuner
    my 2010 lt has the E37 ecm its non flex and cali emmissions. any one elses have e37 lookslike its in 4cly too? newby here obvy!

Potential Tuner
    hey bill .been reading a ton obveosly have strange question idk.. i have 2010 impala lt 3.5 and when i needed new flex cat pipe i got fedralcat pipe but when i took out oem pipe and it had 2 cats agh ha cali new york car so obvy cat effic code popped up so i got mpvi2 shut off for now but i ve read my ecu the E37 called rental ecu so is that cus the cali stuff and non calis have diff ecu or just diff tune or OS. becuse i now have 1 cat not 2 and added oem duels with better mufflers and it had single and trying to start playing lil more tune wise so if this ecu or os is resticive in some way cus cali emmissons or if there is extra shit to turn off cus im in R.I not CALI lol

thanks in advance for any help/info i realy appreceate it! matt