Thread: Very sloppy shifts, 3000rpm trans slip...help?

Tuner in Training dion.climo@renova.co.nz's Avatar

Very sloppy shifts, 3000rpm trans slip...help?

Hi team, we have a troublesome baby here and we are a little lost after trying quite a few ideas so any thoughts on the attached tune/log would be very much appreciated

07 Holden Commodore SS Ute, 6.3L L98, Magnusson blower, 6l80E about 450kW/750Nm at the hubs with very sloppy shifts - bad flaring, very long 1-2 often harsh when finally shifting, but basically crap shifts 99% of the time at all throttle % except sometimes fine at very low speed/throttle %. I'm seeing way too much trans slip under WOT (upto 2800rpm) and low/erratic pressures on PCS 1 Cmd Pressure and TCC slip looks to be OK. I'm not sure if its a related issue yet but it also wont change 2-3 with WOT, she just bounces off the rev limiter.

This is the second rebuilt stock trans with the TeCHM from the previous trans (recently replaced after only 2-3000miles and found metal dust all through it - yes from the dealer) The owner complained of losing all gears when in WOT a number of times and had to turn the car off and back on to get them back. It did on one occasion do it while being scanned by us and it brought up a stuck solenoid code but that has never returned.

Has a new secondhand wiring loom, runs overfilled fluid, new cooler and lines but still runs into 'Trans Shift Mode - Hot' with average, very little WOT driving. We have also tried an adapts reset and relearn, trans data from another stock 6l80 we know worked well (as the figures were really off compared to what should have come from the dealer when they originally reprogrammed it) all with no luck.

My theory is that the TeCHM is buggered but of course writing a new one to this vehicle is an expensive test if its not the issue. Is it possible that the metal dust/filings we found have corrupted the TeCHM in some way?

Thanks in advance

VE Commodore SS ute 6.3L A6 Magnusson ECM+TRANS.hpt
    trans_slip_bad_shifts_081222.hpl
    Last edited by [email protected]; 12-08-2022 at 02:30 PM.

Tuner in Training
    did you scale for you injectors? if so, what size are they and what the scaling?

Tuner in Training
    after reviewing the log, you must've scaled the injectors. You will need to scale the virtual torque up tables to let the trans know that engine is making more torque for the given cylinder airmass. At WOT your trans is thinking the engine is only making around 280Ftlbs of torque therefore not giving you the trans pressure needed.

Injectors are not scaled (but they probably should be) - IFR is maxed out at 63.5lb (at least in any of the areas it's possible for it to use), but Stoich & AFR Term are untouched.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Injectors are not scaled (but they probably should be) - IFR is maxed out at 63.5lb (at least in any of the areas it's possible for it to use), but Stoich & AFR Term are untouched.
    he scaled airflow. the AIRmass is half of what it should be. i worded it incorrectly

But the injector data is still 12 different kinds of fucked up.

Thanks mate, I was considering virtual torque but we've done 30+ of these types of power increases without issues and not having to touch the torque tables. Will do that and see how she goes.

This one came to us already built and 'tuned' and owner is only concerned about the trans issues. I'll have a wider look after your comments guys, cheers.