Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subaru Support Update Coming

Subaru Support Update Coming

Subaru Support is Being Worked On

Hello Everyone, we have encountered a number of concerns with support for Subaru vehicles
    and wanted to share that we are currently working on it and expect to push out an update shortly.

We appreciate your patience as we work through the issues.

I am excited for what's coming! Looking forward to what's to come!

Potential Tuner

please sooner then later

Quote Originally Posted by Darek@HPTuners View Post

Subaru Support is Being Worked On

Hello Everyone, we have encountered a number of concerns with support for Subaru vehicles
    and wanted to share that we are currently working on it and expect to push out an update shortly.

We appreciate your patience as we work through the issues.

please sooner then later

Potential Tuner
    Are there any plans for adding support for additional Subaru Models? Specifically any EZ30 equipped models.

Tuner in Training
    It's been at least two months since this was posted.

It's been over three years since you announced support for these cars.

4.7.png

4.6sti.png

Purchased my MPVI2+ on 06-28-2022

MPVI2+ Purchased.png

Raised a Ticket on 07-05-2022 that the flex fuel patch was present but that the custom features were not there.
    Nothing Present.png

EricResponds 1-2Weeks.png

Checksum Error Ticket Raised on 11/13/2022

ChecksumError.png

Purchased the Pro Feature Set and ProLink on 12-19-2022 (Assuming that the Mass Update was getting close after being advised by a tuner that this was a concern of HPTuners and was receiving R and D attention).

ProFeatureSetPurchased.png

ECU Bricked 01-14-2023 - After being told that the checksum and custom features mapping was acceptable to use, I attempted to flash the car with a custom features map after following the procedures set forth by the instructions in VCM Suite - Apply. Close Window. Save as a new file name. Close tune. Re-open new tune with new name, flash car.

New ECU ~$1,092.

Install/Program ECU ~$375

ECUBricked.png

Dealership fitted new ECU with a new OS/Build, so HPTuners doesn't have the definitions. Had to pay to have the car towed from the dealer back to my house.

Also initially told that I would have to come out of pocket $200 for new credits.

NewCredits.png

James changed this and credited me 4 free credits for the new ECU.

Don't worry guys.. It's urgent. Very urgent. HPTuners is taking this all very seriously.

Urgent.png

James has been helpful as a customer service rep, and I don't fault him for any of this. In fact, I feel bad for customer service techs like James as they have to put up with gripes from customers when their company doesn't do their job.
    Last edited by Kevin92; 02-09-2023 at 10:12 AM.

Tuner in Training
    LongEmail.png

As of 02-09-2023 - Still no Definitions for the new ECU

StillnoDefs.png

NoDefson02-09.png

I held off posting all of this as I really wanted a resolution via Chad Stowell, but I don't feel like this hardship is being taken seriously, and I desperately need a resolution.

My advice to anyone looking to tune a Subaru with HPT, reconsider until they get their ducks in a row. COBB is a no go for most of us with High Flow Catalytic Converters plus they closed off access to new users of AccessTuner, so you're dependent on the good nature and communication skills of a tuner who might be able to help you. Again, you're still going to throw P0420 and all the other codes because COBB sold out, but you might be able to drive your car on it?

Open Source is dependent on the good nature of its community, plus the software is not very user friendly.

Haltech is super expensive and requires an adapter harness to use.

Good luck to anyone just getting one of these cars. I wanted one of these my whole life, and once I get it, I buy a high flow catted downpipe then COBB deserts us so I perpetually set codes and HPTuners over-promises and under-delivers.

For anyone who wants more information and details on my efforts to work with HPTuners towards reaching a resolution on this, there's a lot more, and it's all documented with timestamps.
    Last edited by Kevin92; 02-09-2023 at 10:19 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    So, you're mad because you can't use the product to disable OBD-II diagnostics to allow the running of illegal emissions defeat devices?

He's upset because his ECU was bricked and the support for Subaru is not really there. He's still running emissions items, however, the GESI cats are hit or miss on the P0420 code.

Potential Tuner
    Not to mention racing applications.

Advanced Tuner
    The bricked ECU part sucks, to be sure, but unfortunately with the way things are in the US these days, nobody should expect any aftermarket companies to offer software support for stuff like this. GESI cats are not certified which means they aren't legal. And, until the RPM act gets passed (if it ever does), the guys that enforce these laws do not make a distinction between street cars and race cars.

I think your focus is on the wrong part of his frustration. The product, support, and failure are the big tickets. He's got other tuning options, however, he purchased HP Tuners products (from me) to be able to tune the car properly and currently had to switch back to Cobb because there is ZERO support for the replacement ECU.

GESI is EPA compliant. https://gsportbygesi.com/high-perfor...tems-products/

Advanced Tuner
    This probably isn't the place for the debate, but the fact they are "EPA compliant" is pretty much a marketing term. For the EPA to consider anything to be acceptable as far as modifications go, the product needs to demonstrate that it does not increase vehicle emissions over OE levels using acceptable test procedures. GESI claims they have been tested by a "third party" to meet "local emissions standards in North America" but the only way to truly be "EPA compliant" is to have test results from CARB.

Anyways, he's an unhappy customer and it's actually cost him money.

Tuner in Training
    For anyone following along - Chad Stowell informed me that the new definitions for the new ECU are now available with the new HPTuners VCM Suite Beta.

For anyone interested in checking out the new stock file, I have attached it to this post.

Still nothing on getting reimbursed for the ECU. Actually, that's not true. Chad Stowell denied my request for reimbursement.

Stock File New ECU 02-10-2023 - Untouched.hpt

I have not yet flashed the car, as I sent the new stock file back to HPT to verify that there won't be anything with this new file that will cause another bricked ECU.

I am NOT going to apply their custom features until someone else does it first. That's what did it the first time. Car was flashed 7-8 times without the custom features. I followed the custom features procedure to a T, and then that bricked the ECU.

The car was DUMPING fuel out of the driver's side injectors key on engine off, and I could no longer connect to the car. I had to change the oil and replace the spark plugs because the injectors were wide open so long. Initially I could not ascertain what the clicking was under the hood, as it was coming from the driver's side near the TGV housings/injectors. It took me feeling the fuel lines pulsing to know the origin of the sound. That alone cost me a set of NGK Laser Iridium Plugs ~$50-$60 plus 4.5 quarts of Driven Racing Oil LS30 ($$$) and a WIX XP filter.

On top of that I had to wait until today to get the new definitions.

In short, I've been HPTuners Guinea Pig. Unfortunately, I don't get paid enough to buy new ECU's to help them figure out their issues. Thankfully, I do have a super cool boss and great coworkers who were able to help me out while this situation was at its worst. And I do get to work from home two days a week so that really helped ease my situation.

I can't help but think about a younger person with an older STI or WRX who can't afford to just go buy an ECU if something like this happened to them.

For anyone keeping count:
    MPVI2+ - $421 w/ Shipping
    ProFeature Set - $249
    Credits - $200
    ELearning Course from Evans Performance Academy on how to tune these cars ~$350
    New ECU - $1092
    ECU Labor/Flash - $374
    Two Tows - To and From Dealer ~$200
    Lenovo Laptop for Tuning (Had a MacBookPro) - $275
    Spark Plugs (Fouled from Bricked ECU) - ~$50-60
    Driven Oil - ~$40
    Wix Filter - $10

Total ~$3,266

To say that I'm invested in their platform is an understatement.

For anyone who is wondering my background - I worked for 5 and a half years at COMP Cams/FAST/Edelbrock/ZEX/RHS/TCI Automotive etc. I'm now at AutoZone Corporate.

I wanted to keep all this quiet and let them resolve the issue the right way, but they don't want to own up to their issues. They don't care about taking care of their customers. I'm not even asking for reimbursement for the plugs, tows, oil, or filter. I just want to be reimbursed for the ECU and the labor to flash/ install it. Instead, I was offered merch/credits.

I don't do this for a living - it's a hobby. I have a classic car that's on FAST XFI Sportsman.

Tuner in Training
    Same issue with 2010 sti, after applying the definitions, bricked my customers ecu.

Tuner in Training
    At this point I think I have 4 cars worth of wasted credits do to lack proper definition files or extended data stream not working that require us to go with a different tuning solution (Link PnP or OS).

Is HPT actually going to support this platform? If no, that's a bummer but then we can move on. If yes, is there an ETA for a stable release?

Tuner in Training

Potential Tuner

Tuner
    has these issues of writing been taken care of yet, I was told the new update was already running , was there and issue with checksums? that is why the ecu bricked?

Tuner in Training
    As far as I can tell none of the issues have been fixed. I'm already out a $1000 in credits I've had to refund customers for so I'm done alpha testing this software until HP Tuners gets it working properly.