Thread: 6.7L Powerstroke Tuning

Tuner in Training

6.7L Powerstroke Tuning

Hi all, first time poster here and a HPT Newbie. Little personal tuning history, I'm familiar with TunerStudio, BinaryEditor, FAST and Holley from previous projects and helping others but Ive purchased and used HPT very little.

I have a 2012 F250 and a 2016 F250 that are my personal trucks that I would like to become more familair with the tuning side of things. currently the 2012 is tuned with exhaust and a SOTF switch. I have pulled the file out and taken a look at it and pretty sure I understand most of what I am looking at. The current plans are to update to a 2015+ turbo and injection pump. I have access to a stock 2015 tune file and can copy/paste but would like know the "why" behind the changes more than how to change, and also what kinda values(and why) I can change to get the most out of these current planed changes.

On to the 2016 truck... I purchased this truck wrecked without and engine. After getting the engine installed I have found the truck was previously tuned, non vgt turbo and dual fuelers were on it before the accident... with the truck now having a single injection pump thr truck would not start due to the Fuel VMV table being near doubled and causing the VMV to be shut during cranking. I pulled a stock 2016 VMV table and flashed it in and now we are up and running but the idle is very choppy almost like a cammed idle tune on older powerstrokes. Looking for some insite on this and seeing what tables could possibly do that or do I have another issue to diagnose. I have access to a IDS and VCM II, when the idle is choppy the power balance shows 2 cylinders are misfiring, but its not the same 2 all the time. it rolls down the cylinders in firing order or companion cylinder form.

I know this is long winded for a first post but I would appreciate any and all information available. if nothing else the knowledge may be useful days months or years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mototime2000 View Post
    Hi all, first time poster here and a HPT Newbie. Little personal tuning history, I'm familiar with TunerStudio, BinaryEditor, FAST and Holley from previous projects and helping others but Ive purchased and used HPT very little.

I have a 2012 F250 and a 2016 F250 that are my personal trucks that I would like to become more familair with the tuning side of things. currently the 2012 is tuned with exhaust and a SOTF switch. I have pulled the file out and taken a look at it and pretty sure I understand most of what I am looking at. The current plans are to update to a 2015+ turbo and injection pump. I have access to a stock 2015 tune file and can copy/paste but would like know the "why" behind the changes more than how to change, and also what kinda values(and why) I can change to get the most out of these current planed changes.

On to the 2016 truck... I purchased this truck wrecked without and engine. After getting the engine installed I have found the truck was previously tuned, non vgt turbo and dual fuelers were on it before the accident... with the truck now having a single injection pump thr truck would not start due to the Fuel VMV table being near doubled and causing the VMV to be shut during cranking. I pulled a stock 2016 VMV table and flashed it in and now we are up and running but the idle is very choppy almost like a cammed idle tune on older powerstrokes. Looking for some insite on this and seeing what tables could possibly do that or do I have another issue to diagnose. I have access to a IDS and VCM II, when the idle is choppy the power balance shows 2 cylinders are misfiring, but its not the same 2 all the time. it rolls down the cylinders in firing order or companion cylinder form.

I know this is long winded for a first post but I would appreciate any and all information available. if nothing else the knowledge may be useful days months or years from now.
    If you post your tune we can help you out a bit more. I'm curious what the fuel pressure map looks like and the PW map. Does it have stock or aftermarket injectors? The VCV table should reflect stock unless it's a stroker pump. What's the VCV doing when it's surging/chopping? Are the injectors in their right places and programmed for the proper cylinder?

Tuner in Training
    I haven't programmed IQA yet but in previous trucks it hasn't made "that" much difference before and after. I'm not going to drive it unprogrammed but normally idling isn't that far off.

As far as previously having stock or larger injectors, I don't know and would love to know what's changed to know if they were previously stock or aftermarket.

As far as the VMV goes, my theory is when you plug in 2 solenoid in parallel you will need to double the PW on them to get the same effect on 2 vs 1. When I put in the stock figures the truck ran and when it had the previous tunes figures it would not allow fuel flow.

FRP_A is matching DSD when it's chopping so I'm assuming it's injector flow related or it's intentional. Changing the SOTF makes no difference as I would assume it would not.

As far as SOTF goes and the reading I've done on this forum the SOTF changes input to the fuel temperature sensor. That input changes the torque allowed, how does that effect performance, or how does the truck calculate and regulate? From what I've seen in reading the tune file we are using Mode 0 and Mode 4 depending air temp, engine temp and fuel pressure? Making sure I have that correctly.

I am on my way to the shop so I will attempt to post the tune file for everyone to review.

I purchased the truck as a roller with little to no information on how it was modified previously, other than finding the previous owner on FB. Sent him a message but he bought it modified and had no idea what was done.

Sorry for the ramble... I went back and added and moved ideas around.

Tuner in Training
    Here are the two files I have so far. they are named accordingly lol. First is the file I pulled when I got the truck home, second is the file that I changed the fuel volume control on.

Im an open mind here and would love to know all the information I can get.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Banned
    why didnt you add more timing? and your sotf needs to start at like 800 then work your way up from there.. pilot injection can go up more. 0 out your post maps or your just dumping fuel after the burn. boost pressure can go up more. fuel rail pressure can go up a bit on the mid range.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerstrokecustoms View Post
    why didnt you add more timing? and your sotf needs to start at like 800 then work your way up from there.. pilot injection can go up more. 0 out your post maps or your just dumping fuel after the burn. boost pressure can go up more. fuel rail pressure can go up a bit on the mid range.
    I guess the best answer is I didn't make these tunes lol. Purchased the truck as a roller that was tuned. Truck previously had a non vgt T4 turbo and dual fuelers. Ia putting the truck back together with a 2019 long block, stock 15+ CP4.2 and a T4 S366 non vgt and looking for all the help and information I can get.

This will be the first diesel I have tuned myself so all that information is super helpful.

Saying boost pressure can go up, does changing those matter due to the fact that it doesn't have VGT anymore? I can "command" boost but if it won't make it, it won't make it, right? Just wanna make sure my brain is functioning correctly.

Post injection is fuel after main injection is over, correct? Is there a timing modifier for pilot/main/post? Would the previous tuber be using that for something else?

The SOTF switch was gone being the engine was missing but I can understand starting higher and going up. But what I'm having an issue with mentally is the "how" that works. If I command say 950ft/lbs. What's the behind the scenes on how the PCM calculates and makes 950 happen. Just using 950 as an example.

Thanks again for all the insight.

Tuner in Training
    I was in your shoes a year ago with this tuning platform. You might try opening your Plattytunefile and then compare it to a stock 2016 ECM file. Use the View Comparison Log on the menu, right click on the "Engine" in the differences window and "copy over all differences". This would put the truck to the stock ECM values for everything. Flash it and see if the gremlins disappear and work from there. If they go away, you know the tune file was the problem and not the hard parts. I'm not sure how the T4 S366 turbo settings change from the stock 2015+ turbos, but it shouldn't matter at idle.

For the 2012: I have a 2019 stock turbo in my 2013. I didn't upgrade the CP4. I copied the tables from a 2016 in the Turbocharger tab and the Smoke control tables from the Injection limits (lambda) in the fueling tab. It appears your Platty tune is using 85% of the stock lambda in those tables. I think that makes it spool faster, but it may smoke a lot more across the board with the lower AFR. I upped the pressure setpoint tables and the boost pressure control a bit.

On edit...the 2016 file is a SOTF file. The fuel temp sensor table is stepped for a switch. The Fuel Temp 2 and 3 tables in the Engine Protection are stepped as well to limit torque. If you don't have a switch, this may be part of the idle problem.
    Last edited by jetskier; 12-14-2022 at 08:50 PM.

Banned
    fuel temp table wont do anything to idle table. all its going to do is the same thing your go pedal does. if you dont have the switch anymore then make the hole table 1400 and call it good.

Does the 2016 truck have a known good engine? Could it have a aftermarket cam some how? My gut is saying you probably have some mechanical issue. If you can post a data log with everything you can log PID wise from engine off to startup and the issue happening in the log that'll help also. I'd double check the VCV for metal in the screen and also remove the PCV on the rail and check it for rust/debris. BTW that tune is pretty healthy PW wise if it's now back on a stock turbo. Like Powerstrokecustoms said the fuel temp stuff is really irrelevant, but it doesn't hurt to run the fuel temp sensor plugged in and rescale the sensor and fuel temp tables back to stock if you're not using a switch anymore.

Tuner in Training
    Engine is stock. I actually replaced the cam and lifters before it was installed along with a new front cover. The PCV have been checked and changed to double check. VCV doesn't have any metal and it's a new CP4.2. It feels tune related but I may be off. I haven't had time to mess with anything, work and family life has me stretched thin as is.

I was wondering if the fuel tables had been rescaled for aftermarket injectors but I would suspect if that was the case the PW would be lowered not raised going to bigger injectors (gas world thoughts).

It's not back to a stock turbo, it has a T4 billet 66mm unit.

I've ran a compression test on all cylinders to make sure base engine is good. Being it rotates cylinders it feels almost like an electrical issue. I've had a truck do this in the past but I can't place what fixed it.

Plan to work on the truck again after Christmas so I'll copy and paste stock fuel values in a new tune and see what happens.

As far as modifying the file that the previous tuner did, I'm assuming the EBP sensor is turned off and the VGT control being those are not connected and I don't have a CEL on. Is that something that I can change myself or is that behind a curtain I can't see?

I'm coming from the Megasquirt/stock Ford EEC IV and other stand alone world where this stuff is long gone lolol.

Tuner in Training
    Also I've tried fuel pressure/temp sensor plugged in, unplugged and switch plugged in. No changes in idle. I have an IDS at my fingertips so I use it for diag a lot. FRP DSD and FRP A are tracking the same so I feel like this is a "commanded" action.

I've seen "cam lope idle" tunes. What I'd changed to make that happen? I'm wondering if that's what I have? As soon as the APP is moved it cleans up.

Banned
    have you tried a stock file? If its deleted you can do a stock delete file.

Try this PlattyTuneFileStockVMV Jw.hpt I bet it fixes your issue

Tuner in Training
    I have not. I have pulled a few files from buddy's trucks but haven't have a chance to flash them in and see what happens, but will do.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    Try this PlattyTuneFileStockVMV Jw.hpt I bet it fixes your issue
    I'll give that a try this weekend. Between work and having a new baby at home I'm sleep deprived and on edge lolol.

Thank yall for all the help so far. I'll let you know how it goes and if all is good I'll get more of the "why and how". I like knowing why and how over just fixing the issue too lol.

Potential Tuner
    looking for 2013 f250 6.7 stock delete files