Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: idle coming to a stop

Thanks Greg I just didn't want to keep bugging you with this issue because we did several tunes with it but I figured I could figure it out on my own so I that I would through it out there and see what info I could get. I'll give that tune a shot and let you know.
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

When in park and I blip the throttle a little bit the rpm raises and holds there for a few seconds and then returns to a normal idle, what settings cause that?
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

Senior Tuner
    idle torque follower ?

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    idle torque follower ?
    I'm not sure. I thought it had something to do with the idle rpm adapt. Like on 2198, 2199, 2196, 13540, and 2197 as for when the rpm raises in or out of gear. Because I was messing with 2198 / 2199 and it definitely has something to it because I set it to 0.03 seconds and it seems like it goes back to a normal idle after 0.03 seconds.

Maybe what I need to know is the ecm in idle adapt mode or not when you are just idling?

Tuning Addict
    It should be. Usually slow drop is too high of min air or the rpm settings. If you're still using the throttle step settings that were in there with the high min air that might be part of it.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    It should be. Usually slow drop is too high of min air or the rpm settings. If you're still using the throttle step settings that were in there with the high min air that might be part of it.
    Say when I put it in reverse and everything it idling perfectly and I start to roll backwards and I get over 1 mph, something kicks in and raises the idle momentarily and then goes back to normal as soon as I stop the car completely. Is that the idle rpm vss max / vss hyst 2196 / 2197 doing this?

Tuning Addict
    That could be either or. Once the ecm see's motion - i.e moving car - it switches from park/neutral min air row to the "calculated gears" row that it thinks it's in and if that row is significantly higher - well that could be your problem. Once it gets above the speed you're referring to it will "prioritize" more to the torque and min air controls. Once below it, it uses torque and more of the rpm controls... The ecm will switch to adaptives anytime you're coasting or in "idle mode" with no pedal application - doesn't matter how fast you're going - it just prioritizes one area vs the other more.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

What are you referring to as the torque controls?

Tuning Addict
    This will piss one individual on here off even though the man that helped come up with it himself stated it's used for idle and given things in 4th gens just like it is in 5th gens, but the torque model needs to be close to matching throttle follower torque. Once they're close to one another the ecm can better implement it's idle controls and cams greatly throw off the idle area in particular of the torque model no matter how dialed in your airflow models are.

~Greg Huggins~

Senior Tuner
    Lol who will it piss off? Is that what you think of people that disagree with you? Disagreement isn't being hostile.

Send him a updated file to correct his torque issue?
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Camaro Tune.hpt current tune

Tuning Addict
    Got to have a log to go with it Joe, but looking at the torque model it should "theoretically" be close - granted the idle air didn't greatly change things. You can give this one a go... It's all about making the two more in line with one another. If they were already in alignment or close to it then you need to address it elsewhere. Just keep in mind if the torque model is too high or vice versa too low in the rpm area you're getting to then letting off it will cause the throttle to do funky things. The throttle after all is still electronically controlled.

It's one thing to disagree, but to put blinders on and only believe you're right is another Also as I clearly stated. Having this right will make the rest of the idle tuning work more in line - it's not the cure all... The min air being at 22 then stepping down and back up will affect it as much as anything.
    Attached Files Attached Files

~Greg Huggins~

Thanks Greg I'll give that a try.